Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Plante Moran

Default Plante Moran

It has been speculated before which firms may benefit from a move downtown, or would even be interested. A few weeks ago Plante Moran announced an expansion of their office in downtown, and the reporter took the opportunity to ask whether a HQ move was in the works. Though it seemed like a throw away question, there may be some smoke here.

While meeting for beers with a friend in the industry, he said that a higher up at PM, who happens to be a friend of his, made a comment last fall that they are looking at consolidating the offices into one facility and are considering new build either downtown or in the burbs. In fact, he went as far to say that they already had property in mind both places that they are considering. This raises a few questions:

1. Is it simply a rumor or is there some truth behind this?
    2. Would PM actually look at new build downtown? And if so, where make sense?
    3. What type of impact would this have on downtown. Would this near 1,000 employees?

I have no knowledge, only opinion, but my opinion is that a total consolidation downtown is a no-brainer for a firm like this.

Recent news about their columbus space:

http://www.plantemoran.com/about/med...ive-space.aspx

Directly across Campus Martius Park from Ernst & Young would seem kind of obvious. Taller, bigger and bolder, take them on right out their front door!

Lots of alternatives downtown. They could move into the Hudson site if it ever gets off the ground or the former Compuware Building by assuming Quicken's space [[if Gilbert wants to move Quicken into the Hudson space.) They could also build on the Lafayette site or move into a renovated Stott if they don't require large floor plates.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Lots of alternatives downtown. They could move into the Hudson site if it ever gets off the ground or the former Compuware Building by assuming Quicken's space [[if Gilbert wants to move Quicken into the Hudson space.) They could also build on the Lafayette site or move into a renovated Stott if they don't require large floor plates.
    FYI - they currently lease 15,000 SF in the Compuware Building. I do agree that their Southfield building is looking a little tired. I assume they own it and they have 500 people there, so there'd have to be a big 'handout' to come downtown.
    Last edited by hybridy; March-17-16 at 04:26 PM.

Has there ever been discussions from DG on the Compuware Building build out? When the building was constructed, that entire wedge was engineered to allow for it to be filled in with office space. I'd imagine that would add a good chunk of space for additional tenants if PM wanted to be down there in Class A space, plus they're already familiar with the building.

I thought the building Gilbert just bought [[the old PwC) building was only 11% occupied. On one of the sites it was commented that he alreaady had a tenant lined up to fill the building to capacity. Someone speculated that given the sq foot that would be around 500 people. Be interesting if that tenant is Plante Moran and they end up moving downtown. Or a suburban law firm like Jaffe.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I thought the building Gilbert just bought [[the old PwC) building was only 11% occupied. On one of the sites it was commented that he alreaady had a tenant lined up to fill the building to capacity. Someone speculated that given the sq foot that would be around 500 people. Be interesting if that tenant is Plante Moran and they end up moving downtown. Or a suburban law firm like Jaffe.
    those are just more QL people going in there. there's not yet enough critical mass for new office construction downtown. the david stott and book tower are still out there...

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    those are just more QL people going in there. there's not yet enough critical mass for new office construction downtown. the david stott and book tower are still out there...
    Source? Do you have insider info as to who exactly the tenant will be that will be moving into 1900 St. Antoine? Reading how the press release was worded, it seems unlikely to me that it would be more Quicken Loans people. And both the Stott and Book towers will more than likely be converted into residential.

It would be incredible if Plante Moran would move downtown, and be the anchor tenant of the Hudson Block development.

I believe Plante signed a 5 year lease on their office in Auburn Hills last year. Not sure about their other offices in the area.

The fact that we talk about these things potentially occurring, as opposed to building a fantasy downtown, should remind us how far the city has come in the last number of years. Before I moved back, I would visit from NY and walk around downtown on a weekday and be out almost by myself. Nowadays, there are people!

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    I believe Plante signed a 5 year lease on their office in Auburn Hills last year. Not sure about their other offices in the area.
    How many people are based in that office?

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    How many people are based in that office?
    Around 150 to 200 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Source? Do you have insider info as to who exactly the tenant will be that will be moving into 1900 St. Antoine? Reading how the press release was worded, it seems unlikely to me that it would be more Quicken Loans people. And both the Stott and Book towers will more than likely be converted into residential.

It would be incredible if Plante Moran would move downtown, and be the anchor tenant of the Hudson Block development.
    No idea. Merely speculation

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I'm not so sure about it being QL. Maybe he'd put one of his smaller companies. I don't see him sticking QL that far from the rest of the QL buildings. Plus, he has people moving in and out of the old Detroit News Building. I assume as the renovations continue, he will be able to put more people there. I know 1 Woodward, Compuware, Chase Tower, and the First National are full or very close to it. I'm not sure how much room he has in the Dime,the Federal Reserve, One Detroit or 1001 Woodward, but he has people in all of those buildings, as well as smaller buildings. I know Fathead was moved to its own building not too long ago.

Someone mentioned filling in the wedge on the Compuware. I think he would get the Hudson site and the Madison sites built before doing something like that. I think that is a long ways away.

Office space from the Bedrock website,
    One Woodward. 23,442
    One Campus Martius. 0
    Federal Reserve. 0
    One Detroit Center. 13,303
    Chase Tower. 3,500
    First National. 8,421
    Chrysler House. 2,447
    1001 Woodward. 2,450

My Godfather work at Plant Moran in Southfield, MI. Since he was 16 years old in late 1960s as a errand boy. The company accountants taught him all about sales and marketing strategies. When he came out of college in the early 1970s with a B.A. in business and M.A. in marketing, Plant Moran hired him on the spot and work as a accountant. Later he was in the board by the mid 1980s and retire by the early 2000s with plenty of money in the pocket. I mean lots and lots of money.