Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Twist on the "Twinkie Defense" - The Uber App Made me do it.

Remember the famous "Twinkie Defense"*? Now the Uber driver who killed six and wounded two last month during a shooting spree in Kalamazoo, Michigan, claims he was not in control of his actions and had been possessed by the ride-sharing app, which had transformed him into a "puppet."

https://news.vice.com/article/kalama...made-him-do-it

*For those not familiar, the "Twinkie Defense" was said to have been used during the celebrity trial over the murder of the gay San Francisco commissioner Harvey Milk. The defendant's [Dan White] lawyer was said to have successfully argued that White's judgment had been impaired due to his consumption of Twinkies and other junk foods. Note: This has been exposed as false by Snopes, but why let a fact get in the way of a great legend?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Remember the famous "Twinkie Defense"*? Now the Uber driver who killed six and wounded two last month during a shooting spree in Kalamazoo, Michigan, claims he was not in control of his actions and had been possessed by the ride-sharing app, which had transformed him into a "puppet."

https://news.vice.com/article/kalama...made-him-do-it

*For those not familiar, the "Twinkie Defense" was said to have been used during the celebrity trial over the murder of the gay San Francisco commissioner Harvey Milk. The defendant's [Dan White] lawyer was said to have successfully argued that White's judgment had been impaired due to his consumption of Twinkies and other junk foods. Note: This has been exposed as false by Snopes, but why let a fact get in the way of a great legend?
    Ok, I'll buy that. Now can we see him dangling from a string, please?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-16-16 at 10:59 AM.

It's curious that they don't mention schizophrenia in the article.

Unless you can prove to me that the Uber Phone App causes seizures like Pokemon [[or any similar reaction) or that there was some sort of mind control involved, I'm not buying this guy's Twinkie/Affluenza cop-out excuse.

Some reports conflicted between that he seemed just "okay', while others stated he was in a bad patch the last few months [[as many of the last mass shootings had similar lead-ups to)-even to the point of openly firing his guns off on his property.

Regardless, his wife left him, and if he did all of this out of "displaced angst", he needs to be held accountable to it.

So it is now out that this whole lawsuit was a hoax.

How the heck did it get reported as news?!

Is all media merely social now?

Usually the "twisted details" with their "kinks" aren't what they really are in mainstream media [[go to the Fortean Times if you want the juicy stuff).

There was no "Kool-Aid" in Jonestown [[Yet, atheists use the symbolism of it to correlate time-withstanding religion with cults by some long stretch-much like using "lemmings", which by God's design will herd en masse but do not, by nature, have a suicide instinct. http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.aspJust remember when you sit down to your next Disney flick to imagine one giant lovable rodent shoveling all those other ones off a cliff in an act of genocide for edutainment sake.), and no, it was not all for Jodie Foster.

If I remember correctly there was an X-Files episode called "Blood" about folks affected by a combination of pesticides and odd displays on their electronic devices telling them to commit murder. It ended with the guy from Blade Runner [[with his brother Daryl and his other brother Daryl) caught in a stand-off setting similar to Charles Whitman.

The entire plotline of the recent movie Kingsman revolved around technology with a hidden purpose. Made people ultra-violent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802144/

But that's merely fiction, right?!

Was there any doubt? Most of it's junk. If we HAD true journalism it'd first have to first be untethered from PC correctness and there'd be great outrage!

In the meantime I think I'll opt-out of the Uber transportation option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Is all media merely social now?
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-25-16 at 10:20 AM.

^^^^^I don't like when the news gives us medical reports [[eggs are good for you-next week eggs are bad), I don't care for celebrity gossip [[leave that to E or ET), I don't care for speculative analysts they bring in to predict elections or give us a "temperature reading" on the feeling folk's have on an issue, I don't trust any TV station's phone in polls, I don't care for their "fact analysis" systems, I don't care for garish styled reports with Insider Edition style wild Keith Morrison style inflections in the reporter's voices and weird camera tricks [[be it slowed down footage, B&W footage, etc. all to nostril shot someone or make the situation reported seem more ominous than it is), I don't like technology [["Check out this new App that you don't have you backwoods settler, you primitive caveman, gotta gotta gotta keep up with the Joneses here, people!") updates or movie promotions which only prove the media is in the pocket of those industries they plug, human interest stories that tug at the heart and fog the mind I can do without, pretending that they are "protectors of the people" is asinine, giving us wild action updates that "work for you" is stupid [[along with the latest "dire" weather fronts coming in, when all it is is two days of off and on rain-feh.), maybe we can also do without the "water skiing squirrel" filler at the end, or when the media preforming loaded social experiments [["We left this nondescript money clip with thirty dollars on this bench in a crowded park-watch as people go by and pocket it with out asking others if it is theirs or bothering to turn it into the local police. Are we truly that corrupted in nature, people!!"-bunch of pernicious hooey.) that only prove they are not balanced and well-schooled sociologists and nor should they attempt to be.

-And this isn't even going into all the imbalanced, selective, heavily edited, censored tripe the media pushes off on us.

I just like my news delivered in a dry, clinical, and thorough manner-like how most of BBC sometimes is or the days of Cronkite were [[a few tears are allowed).

This guy was a visit-a-month gun store patron, and he took his dogs with him.

http://mic.com/articles/139667/alleg...ain#.BJCzWRpdPThe connection between him and Trump may not be there, but the statement "Help make America great again", is the kind of thing one who is truly unhinged about Obama's presence from the getgo would tout.

Except in cases like the San Bernardino incident, most of the last cases of mass shootings in the last number of months have been by yahoos with a grudge against race, religion, and Planned Parenthood, and I wonder if that would sum up a lot of Trump's fan-base [[though I wouldn't rule out the numbers at his rallies paralleling that of all those on the bankroll as official employees for Trump enterprises in general-get a little $50 extra and free travel to scream like idiots at their boss's own rallies-hmm?): crazed Americans so heated since Obama's election, that many of them a hair away from being latent mass shooters.