Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pistons/Wings Playoffs Predictions

Just when you think either of these teams might be getting their act together they put up another dismal effort. The no-offense Wings get shut out at home by the 30th place Leafs and the no-defense Pistons get blown out by 40 points to the Wizards. They are both hovering around .500 all season and that's a terrible place to be if you're trying to get better. Just check out how many teams in both leagues are stuck there. Blame it on salary caps.

Do either of the teams make the playoffs? Wings have a slightly better shot than the Pistons but I'm saying no. Predictions?

From what I gather from sports radio listening, it sounds like the Pistons actually have a better shot in a dismally weak Eastern Conference. I don't follow basketball, but that's what it sounds like.

The Wings, on the other hand, may miss. Philly is up their butt right now with 2 games in hand and only 3 points back, plus we play them twice in Philly. The Wings may catch a break with the Penguins losing Malkin for the rest of the regular season, so they could fall out of the wild card, but besides Philly, New Jersey and Carolina are right there on our heels too.

13 games left, and you're gonna need in the neighborhood on 96 or 97 points to guarantee a playoff spot, so they need to go like 8-4-1 or 7-2-4. I honestly don't have that confidence in them right now to do that. Mrazek needs to regain form and they need to score some goals [[Hello Tatar, Nyquist?). Otherwise, we will all be talking Tigers in 4 weeks and no Wings at all.

The Pistons are one of the youngest teams in the NBA. Inconsistency is the norm for them. Once they figure out you have to bring the intensity every night and add some more bench pieces, they will become very good. They've already had big wins vs some of the league's best teams. They have a 9 game home stand coming up, which should help determine their playoff fate. It's a process, but SVG has them headed in the right direction.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-15-16 at 10:28 AM.

The Wings will be lucky to make the playoffs. However, if they do, hockey is a much more unpredictable game than basketball and defense [[particularly goaltending) becomes much more important in the playoffs, so who knows?

The Pistons are a year or more away still from being really good and have far too many weaknesses on defense. If they end up against the 2 or 3 teams in the weak conference they may be able to make a little noise by winning a game or 2. If they end up in the 8 spot against Cleveland, as seems likely, they'll probably get swept.

The Red Wings will miss unless Mantha comes in and saves the season with his skill. It would be a blessing in disguise if the Wings missed the playoffs. Is it cool to keep the streak going? Sure, but they need a complete gut of the defense and a fix on offense in order to be a contender. They're close, but missing would be forced to make moves in the offseason.

While I agree SVG has done a great job building something from nothing, I think it will be very difficult for this team to take the next step. The foundation is Jackson, Drummond & Caldwell-Pope. These guys are all 3 yrs. in the league now. Jackson, instead of calming things down last night when the Wizards started off on fire, dribbled down the court a couple of times and threw up 3 point attempts. Drummond is a weak defender against talented big men and is not a max contract guy [[although he's going to get one). Pope is a fundamentally sound player but unfortunately has a very inconsistent shot - not good for a shooting guard.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The Wings will be lucky to make the playoffs. However, if they do, hockey is a much more unpredictable game than basketball and defense [[particularly goaltending) becomes much more important in the playoffs, so who knows?
    I agree Al. Although a couple weeks ago, if the Wings would have ran into Washington, I'd have said they would have been blown out. Now the Caps look a little out of sync, so who knows. Just gotta squeak in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    The Red Wings will miss unless Mantha comes in and saves the season with his skill. It would be a blessing in disguise if the Wings missed the playoffs. Is it cool to keep the streak going? Sure, but they need a complete gut of the defense and a fix on offense in order to be a contender. They're close, but missing would be forced to make moves in the offseason.
    The steak is cute. It's a nice little thing to hang your hat on and use in the promos. But at this point, I think most of us are tired of getting into the playoffs and bowing out in the first round. If missing the playoffs 2 of the next 3 years is the way to grab some top 10-15 picks, I wouldn't lose my mind.

But let's all remember, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Kronwall are all nearing the end. Holland and Illitch are probably are also going to want to keep the steak alive with the new arena coming in 2 seasons. SO I'd imagine that they are gonna do everything to keep "retooling" instead of rebuilding prior to the move.

In the off season, steal some major free agents. Stir frequently. Serve hot.

My prediction is that the Wings don't lose a single playoff game. Nor will they play in one...

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    My prediction is that the Wings don't lose a single playoff game. Nor will they play in one...
    Bingo. And after that performance last night, they don't deserve to be in. Unless they plan on rattling off 6-7 wins in a row, they're done.

Very happy to say I was wrong on both counts! The Pistons, while sloppy at times, went in forwards and the Wings clearly backed in. Not optimistic about either team's 1st round chances but, as they say, you can't win if you're not in.

Well, I am glad that the Wings continued their 25-year-streak even despite the loss, but what I am most surprised about is the Pistons being in the playoffs. I can't even remember the last time the Pistons were even in the playoffs.

The last time the Pistons were in the playoffs was in 2009. At the tail end of the 8 year playoff run that brought them the 2004 championship. By that time only Rip, 'Sheed, and Tayshaun were left from the championship squad. They made the 8th seed with a losing record and were swept by the Cavs in the 1st round.

That was also the last year that the Wings went to the Stanley Cup finals, losing to the Penguins in 7.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That was also the last year that the Wings went to the Stanley Cup finals, losing to the Penguins in 7.
    ...and on the very same day analog TV on the American side ended forever.

It would be a huge plus if either team could make it to the 2nd round. Who knows? Could happen. I think the pistons are a pretty good young team going in the right direction. Don't feel that way about the Wings, Maybe they'll get hot though.

Im delighted both teams made it.

the playoffs would be fairer if the teams were paired with other teams with similar records in the early rounds. Seed 1 plays seed 2, etc.

I like this Pistons team with the exception of the disgruntled Andre Drummond, who is now proving the buzz about his "motor" pre-draft.

I don't see them going beyond 1st round, hope I'm wrong.

Well, the Wings managed to squeak in. They will need spectacular goaltending to go far, but due to the parity in the NHL, they have a chance. A slim one. My pick for the cup is the Blackhawks.

They both are not going anywhere, Wings have a better chance of winning a round though.

Quote Originally Posted by michmina View Post
    I like this Pistons team with the exception of the disgruntled Andre Drummond, who is now proving the buzz about his "motor" pre-draft.

I don't see them going beyond 1st round, hope I'm wrong.
    Drummond may look under-motivated at times, but he is also about to be the first Piston to lead the NBA in rebounding since Ben Wallace in 2003.

I don't think Drummond realized just how much not making free throws would affect his ability to stay in tight games and it will only get worse in the playoffs. I have no doubt he is working hard on them in practice but he now knows once the hacking starts Van Gundy has no choice but to pull him the first time he misses both free throws. I really think what looked like sulking the last game was just frustration. That being said, combine the poor free throws with being a poor defender against big guys who shoot from the perimeter, and he's not a max money guy. However I think the Pistons already promised him the max contract last off-season. They are very lucky to have a backup the caliber of Baynes.

The Wings have a chance due to their draw of Tampa in the first round. The Bolts have a slew of regulars injured that won't be playing in the series, including Stamkos and Johnson. That should level the playing field. If Howard plays the way he has the past 2 weeks, the PP & PK keep performing the way they have, and we get some freaking goal scoring finally, the Wings could pull it off.

My prediction: Wings in 7 with the upset.