Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chinese Restaurant to open in Chinatown

...or at least what used to be Detroit's Chinatown. Dave Kwiatkowski of Sugar House in Corktown, Wright & Co. in downtown, Café 78, a soon-to-open restaurant in the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit and Honest John's fame is opening a Chinese-American restaurant on Peterboro and called The Peterboro at 420 Peterboro.

Even with all the restaurant openings in the old Cass Corridor, this one seems like a good move to me. First off there is very little choice for Asian food, Shangri-la and Go Sy Thai being the exceptions, and secondly there is room for parking, something that is increasingly becoming an issue.

Article from Crain's Detroit Business. >>

Weee! Can't wait. I've given up on the old stand on Woodward near East Grand Blvd......

Someone in Detroit really needs to recreate Chino Bandido's wildly popular Jade Red Chicken.

It's been ten years since I had it in Phoenix and I still salivate at the very thought of it.

It's Googleable.

If anyone can recommend a reasonable local facsimile, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-14-16 at 08:10 PM.

^^^ Sounds far better than the mystery-meat, slathered with more mysterious-goop gravies over dry uncle ben instant-tasting rice that goes for Chinese often in this area!

Will this place be Chinese owned?How large will the establishment be?Will the menu stress "authentic" Chinese dishes, or will it be more "Americanized"?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Sounds far better than the mystery-meat, slathered with more mysterious-goop gravies over dry uncle ben instant-tasting rice that goes for Chinese often in this area!
    Why.... what on earth do you mean Zacha341??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default The Peterboro, and its New Neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Will this place be Chinese owned?How large will the establishment be?Will the menu stress "authentic" Chinese dishes, or will it be more "Americanized"?
    Nope, not Chinese owned. Their chef, however, is Brion Wong-- formerly of Brooklyn, NY, then Antietam Detroit. My guess is it'll be Chinese-Asian-Fusion-Farm-to-Table, and likely in the $50 range for dinner for two. No hope at all of any $10 [[or even $15) carry-outs from that place.

http://www.thepeterboro.com/#the-peterboro - scroll down for food menu

What I find more interesting is the shipping container food hall, ShipYard Detroit, going in behind them at 747 Peterboro. That'll apparently be five different [[yet to be determined) cuisines, plus drinks. Sometimes these sorts of places [[I've been in other cities) also have games like shuffleboard or bocce for example.

https://www.facebook.com/detroitshipyard/?fref=ts

Now, about that parking ...

Another food hall, from different developers/owners has been proposed for Gratiot across from Eastern/Central Market on the Stroh's or Busy Bee warehouse property.

http://detroit.eater.com/2015/10/9/9...d-hall-detroit

Eh, not that bad ala 'meow'......! LOL! More the processed low quality chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Why.... what on earth do you mean Zacha341??
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-15-16 at 04:44 AM.

If they boast having an MSG-free menu [[as Szechuan Empire or the late Dragon Palace in the Western suburbs boasted), and is genuinely Asian owned and operated, than I'm sold.

YAY! Detroit's Chinatown is back with a Americanized Chinese restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...or at least what used to be Detroit's Chinatown. Dave Kwiatkowski of Sugar House in Corktown, Wright & Co. in downtown, Café 78, a soon-to-open restaurant in the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit and Honest John's fame is opening a Chinese-American restaurant on Peterboro and called The Peterboro at 420 Peterboro.

Even with all the restaurant openings in the old Cass Corridor, this one seems like a good move to me. First off there is very little choice for Asian food, Shangri-la and Go Sy Thai being the exceptions, and secondly there is room for parking, something that is increasingly becoming an issue.

Article from Crain's Detroit Business. >>
    My wife is Thai I have lived in Thailand and own a house in Thailand what you get at Sy Thai is nothing like what you get in Thailand I guess its fine if you like Americanized Thai food

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    My wife is Thai I have lived in Thailand and own a house in Thailand what you get at Sy Thai is nothing like what you get in Thailand I guess its fine if you like Americanized Thai food
    The same goes with Chinese food but we still call it Chinese food.

The Asian restaurant I am looking forward to opening Katoi on March 21st it is a Thai Restaurant with the chiefs own twist on it which I do not have a problem with as long as he is not claiming its authentic.
    The name Katoi kind of cracks me up that means a transgender person in Thai [[LadyBoy) google it and look at the images
    https://www.facebook.com/Katoi-682006108549924/
    http://detroit.eater.com/2016/1/12/1...gs-winter-2016

Ate at Katoi the place is solid I loved it looking forward to the Peterboro

After the Nutcracker, we regrettably chose to eat at the Peterboro. The waitstaff were exuberant. Their enthusiasm, sadly, was largely wasted on the product. The crab wontons were fantastic, as was the fried eggplant. The hot and sour soup was both, but too thick and the sour preponderant. The fried rice was undercooked -- quite literally, crunchy. Five, tailed shrimp graced the honey-walnut-shrimp salad. The gravy for the ABC was not typical, no doubt, prerogative, but poorly received. The pork in the sweet and sour pork was tough. However, the most egregious representation stands on the wontons -- described as vegetable stuffed: These were a sprig of broccoli wrapped by a wonton and -- thankfully not fried, but steamed -- set into a stew of overbearing sauce. The sidecar was decently made, if lacking for cognac, as the norm -- but all were left disappointed and several still hungry, ruefully wanting lemon chicken and an eggroll from the shadowed ghost of Chung's across the street. An awful disappointment for the dollars spent -- better off used at the aforementioned, and never disappointing Shangri La...

Quote Originally Posted by 3d123 View Post
    After the Nutcracker, we regrettably chose to eat at the Peterboro. The waitstaff were exuberant. Their enthusiasm, sadly, was largely wasted on the product. The crab wontons were fantastic, as was the fried eggplant. The hot and sour soup was both, but too thick and the sour preponderant. The fried rice was undercooked -- quite literally, crunchy. Five, tailed shrimp graced the honey-walnut-shrimp salad. The gravy for the ABC was not typical, no doubt, prerogative, but poorly received. The pork in the sweet and sour pork was tough. However, the most egregious representation stands on the wontons -- described as vegetable stuffed: These were a sprig of broccoli wrapped by a wonton and -- thankfully not fried, but steamed -- set into a stew of overbearing sauce. The sidecar was decently made, if lacking for cognac, as the norm -- but all were left disappointed and several still hungry, ruefully wanting lemon chicken and an eggroll from the shadowed ghost of Chung's across the street. An awful disappointment for the dollars spent -- better off used at the aforementioned, and never disappointing Shangri La...
    I don't think there's a lot of good Chinese restaurants around here anymore. I never tried that Shangri La place. On Ford Road In Dearborn or Westland there's a real good one, don't know the name of it but I know it when I see it. It's like a million miles from me though. On 8 Mile about 1.5 miles east of I-75 on the Detroit side there's a hole in the wall Chinese place where the food is real good too.

Bring back the Ho Ho Inn.

Try the Lucky Dragon at Jefferson & Chene.
    For the 'burbs, go to the Mongolian Buffet on 12 Mile & Ryan.

Even the rice at Lucky Dragon on Jefferson and Chene is bad IMO. I am digging Hunan Garden on 10 off of Telegraph in Southfield lately. Nice sit down restaurant and good quality from the rice on up.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-27-16 at 08:59 PM.

I like the way you wrote that. Rice quality has been a big problem at many Chinese places I've gone to lately. Like duh, if that is not right, well. Anyway, you should post on Yelp if the quality does not improve.

Quote Originally Posted by 3d123 View Post
    After the Nutcracker, we regrettably chose to eat at the Peterboro. The waitstaff were exuberant. Their enthusiasm, sadly, was largely wasted on the product. The crab wontons were fantastic, as was the fried eggplant. The hot and sour soup was both, but too thick and the sour preponderant. The fried rice was undercooked -- quite literally, crunchy...
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-27-16 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I don't think there's a lot of good Chinese restaurants around here anymore. I never tried that Shangri La place. On Ford Road In Dearborn or Westland there's a real good one, don't know the name of it but I know it when I see it. It's like a million miles from me though. On 8 Mile about 1.5 miles east of I-75 on the Detroit side there's a hole in the wall Chinese place where the food is real good too.
    Kwong Tung Inn? I hear it's very good. I don't work far from there but haven't made it yet.

A few years back, Windsor was king when it came to excellent Chinese restaurants. I haven't been in a while so I'm not sure if that's true anymore.

Love the New Peking in Garden City. I have no idea if it's authentic or not...and I don't care. Damn, it's tasty...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Kwong Tung Inn? I hear it's very good. I don't work far from there but haven't made it yet.
    That's it! Try it you will be happy. Best ABC i ever had, shrimp with lobster sauce is KILLER.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpatrick View Post
    Love the New Peking in Garden City. I have no idea if it's authentic or not...and I don't care. Damn, it's tasty...
    I think that's it! It's a stand alone restaurant with a parking lot. Holy shit is the food good! Some nights we have driven an hour to get there.