Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I would be surprised if that block is 100% homeowners with no rental houses.
    Why would you be surprised? It is probably the nicest block in the neighborhood if I must say so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Those would be the least valuable comments. When you're a homeowner in a given area, you personal net worth is tied into the perceived viability of your neighborhood.

If someone wanted to know if Birmingham is a good or bad long term investment, I would be the last person to ask. Any answer is too biased by self-interest.
    That's one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Do you honestly believe that or do you only worry about being right on an internet message board?

Want to know what the Iraq war was like? Don't ask any vets who were deployed there.

Want to know what it is like to play a guitar? Don't ask anyone who plays it!

Want to know if a movie was good? Don't ask anyone who has seen it. Seriously dude.

You are making all kinds of assumptions. "Any answer is too biased by self-interest." Not everyone is a know it all like you who defends his own position as right merely because it is his own opinion. I LIVE IN THE AREA. I ALREADY SAID IT ISN'T PERFECT. Crime happens at a higher rate here as opposed to other places in metro Detroit. The schools are not good. I wouldn't want to raise my kids here. I lock my doors. I have a security system and those metal doors so no one can kick in my door and rob me. I STILL think it is a good place to move to for the OP and I still think it is great for me. Again this area is getting BETTER not worse.

and MrMichigan I just said I doubt it is all renters because even in high ownership areas in the area there's usually one or two rentals a street. Not all rentals are slum houses and you probably have a few long term tenants who keep things nice.

Quote Originally Posted by RageRoolz View Post
    Want to know what the Iraq war was like? Don't ask any vets who were deployed there.
    Not an Iraq vet, but a Vietnam vet. I would imagine that if you got ten different vets to talk about the war they were in, you would get ten different answers.

What's with the obscene depreciation of home values in EEV? i mean, it's perfect for starter home costs, but it seems nothing comes on the market for more than around 70K. Though the homes mostly seem beautiful and the surrounding commercial properties not vacant and gutted the way they are in so much of Detroit. Is it just home sizes? The stigma of the "east side"? What?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    Why would you be surprised? It is probably the nicest block in the neighborhood if I must say so myself.
    Just doesn't happen like that in most areas of the city. Can't possibly believe it's true on any block in EEV.

Quote Originally Posted by Meliora View Post
    What's with the obscene depreciation of home values in EEV? i mean, it's perfect for starter home costs, but it seems nothing comes on the market for more than around 70K. Though the homes mostly seem beautiful and the surrounding commercial properties not vacant and gutted the way they are in so much of Detroit. Is it just home sizes? The stigma of the "east side"? What?
    I can't speak on the livibility, but some of the houses I looked at needed some work. Plus, it is still recovering from the recession. A lot of even the modest sized houses sold for 100k+ in the early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Not an Iraq vet, but a Vietnam vet. I would imagine that if you got ten different vets to talk about the war they were in, you would get ten different answers.
    If you actually asked 10 vets and tried to piece their different answers together you would probably get a good idea of what it was like. This reinforces my point that he should listen to the people posting here who live in the area. Using beams logic we should ask vets just 10 people who were alive in that era because the vets would be too biased. Thank you for your service but your post doesn't make sense to me. Are you agreeing disagreeing or just making a non sequitur? What you said is obvious. It's like saying if you talk to ten different people they will all be different. Of course every individual has a unique perspective on any one shared experience but that doesn't diminish my point.

If you actually asked 10 vets and tried to piece their different answers together you would probably get a good idea of what it was like. This reinforces my point that he should listen to the people posting here who live in the area. Using beams logic we should ask vets just 10 people who were alive in that era because the vets would be too biased. Thank you for your service but your post doesn't make sense to me. Are you agreeing disagreeing or just making a non sequitur? What you said is obvious. It's like saying if you talk to ten different people they will all be different. Of course every individual has a unique perspective on any one shared experience but that doesn't diminish my point.
    I don't quite get this. It shouldn't matter which country your vet is from. Both of them should be able to get the same diagnosis from your sick pet.

Diagnosing a sick pet would be a medical issue and hopefully less prone to subjective issues. We are talking about if an area is a good place to live and if it is a good long term place tl be. It doesn't lend itself to hard quantitative analysis in the same way. Besides two dr.s could you give you different diagnoses. That's why you get a second opinion.

However lets just drop the analogy and go back to my point. if you are talking about the pro's and con's of an area it would be dumb to say ignore the people who live there. Those are just the folks you should be asking IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I don't quite get this. It shouldn't matter which country your vet is from. Both of them should be able to get the same diagnosis from your sick pet.
    Canuck, we do have a great Veterinarian service in the 'hood. Very highly rated, and very community involved. I'm not sure of their country of origin, though.

http://jeffersonvet.com/
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-02-16 at 07:40 AM.

That's one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Do you honestly believe that or do you only worry about being right on an internet message board?
    If you think that homeowners wanting to preserve their equity in their primary investment is "one of the dumbest things you have ever read", then you certainly have a unique perspective on life.

99.9% of people will disagree with your perspective. Homeowners are self-interested and about the least unbiased people you could find re. their relative neighborhood quality.
    T
    Now THAT is about the dumbest thing I have read on DYes. I guessing analogies aren't your strong point?

Iraq vets don't have their net worth tied up in their perspective of the Iraq War, therefore there is no financial self interest coloring their opinions of war. Your other attempts at analogies are similarly ridiculous.

An appropriate analogy would be whether or not a Mom is an unbiased judge of her child. Of course not. She has a huge vested interest in her child.

And you don't even get that your insult-filled response is exactly what people are talking about. You're attacking anyone who disagrees with some sort of manufactured narrative about EEV, because you're trying to preserve equity. That's fine, but it makes you an awfully poor judge of relative neighborhood quality.
    Last edited by Bham1982; May-02-16 at 09:00 AM.

I can't speak on the livibility, but some of the houses I looked at needed some work. Plus, it is still recovering from the recession. A lot of even the modest sized houses sold for 100k+ in the early 2000s.
    1,300 sq ft Cox & Baker 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath sold for $142k in 2001. Hard to believe now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If you think that homeowners wanting to preserve their equity in their primary investment is "one of the dumbest things you have ever read", then you certainly have a unique perspective on life.

99.9% of people will disagree with your perspective. Homeowners are self-interested and about the least unbiased people you could find re. their relative neighborhood quality.

Now THAT is about the dumbest thing I have read on DYes. I guessing analogies aren't your strong point?

Iraq vets don't have their net worth tied up in their perspective of the Iraq War, therefore there is no financial self interest coloring their opinions of war. Your other attempts at analogies are similarly ridiculous.

An appropriate analogy would be whether or not a Mom is an unbiased judge of her child. Of course not. She has a huge vested interest in her child.

And you don't even get that your insult-filled response is exactly what people are talking about. You're attacking anyone who disagrees with some sort of manufactured narrative about EEV, because you're trying to preserve equity. That's fine, but it makes you an awfully poor judge of relative neighborhood quality.
    1. Reading comprehension is your friend. I am not saying anything about preserving equity. I am saying that people who live in the area will be able to give him a better idea of what it is like to LIVE IN THE AREA. Of course because I live in the area I want it to get better and I want my home's value to increase. That does not make me incapable of giving solid advice. In fact I am MORE SUITED TO because I myself went through the EXACT SAME THING AS HIM and now live here. I know his concerns[[I had the same ones when I was shopping for a house. Again, I'm not saying that this area is perfect for everyone) and I have actual experience living in the area. I don't know if you're trolling me or you really missed my entire point. [[I think troll because everything you say is negative. I didn't intend to fall into a name-calling match but you literally never have anything good to say about the city. Whenever you espouse your opinion and someone proves you wrong you just ignore it.)
    2. if you don't think vets have a part of themselves tied into the perception of the war you don't know many vets. No self interest coloring their perceptions of the war? Come on. It's not a perfect analogy but the point is that people who lived it know more than people who read about it in the paper. You're making all these judgments about the area because of what? FOX 2 News? And claiming that YOUR opinion would somehow be more relevant to the OP? We can use your analogy of the mother child. Is it colored by some sort of bias? Of course. However it isn't like she couldn't objectively tell you how smart he is. If you have kids you would know what I'm talking about. You may love them all irrationally, but you KNOW if one of them is intelligent or not. Parents still love their dumb kids, but not many of those same parents would act like they birthed Einstein.
    3. I'm not disagreeing with you because I want to preserve equity. Read my previous posts. I'd love for my neighborhood to get better and my house to be worth more. However I am also realistic and posted both the pro's and the con's of the area. There is a poster on here who has nothing but NEGATIVE things to say about their neighborhood. I forget the username but I could search and find it.

Your point just doesn't hold water. I understand where you are coming from and I agree that homeowners could have some "skin in the game" so to speak. Also your 99.9% comment is wonderfully made up and easy enough to disprove. Find something in my posts that was all sunshine and rainbows about my neighborhood. Something indicating I am describing my neighborhood in an extra flattering or untrue manner merely for personal gain. I said there is crime here. I said I wouldn't raise kids here. I stand by my opinion that it is a great spot for someone in the OP's situation and I know of other people who are moving into the area who are probably at a similar point in their lives. It makes a lot of sense for certain people. If you are childless and work downtown you can do a lot worse than EEV and the trend in the area seems to be going in a positive direction.

Lets see if people actually agree with you or me. I believe the issue at point is
    "Who will give you more reliable information about a given area: People who live/lived there or people who have probably never set foot there"

Want to know what it is like to play a guitar? Don't ask anyone who plays it!

Want to know if a movie was good? Don't ask anyone who has seen it. Seriously dude.

You are making all kinds of assumptions. "Any answer is too biased by self-interest." Not everyone is a know it all like you who defends his own position as right merely because it is his own opinion. I LIVE IN THE AREA. I ALREADY SAID IT ISN'T PERFECT. Crime happens at a higher rate here as opposed to other places in metro Detroit. The schools are not good. I wouldn't want to raise my kids here. I lock my doors. I have a security system and those metal doors so no one can kick in my door and rob me. I STILL think it is a good place to move to for the OP and I still think it is great for me. Again this area is getting BETTER not worse.

and MrMichigan I just said I doubt it is all renters because even in high ownership areas in the area there's usually one or two rentals a street. Not all rentals are slum houses and you probably have a few long term tenants who keep things nice.

Sorry Rageroolz, while I don't disagree with you, I am still shocked by the rare display of humility this poster usually lacks...

Not to prolong this, but in
    defense of Bham1982, he is talking
    about having a vested interest in , not just knowledge of or experience with a subject.[[i.e. playing guitar, being a veteran) I was shocked that he [[I assume) was so modest as to suggest that his opinion could be influenced by boosterism.

I have been a member of this board for many years,[[ formerly as Missnmich) and have avoided debates for years. I have no idea why I was drawn into this one.

Well, if you have a drug dealer next-door and Tim Hapless is interested in buying the house, you will always say, "It is such a great neighborhood, great people, salt of the earth, good investment" even though three doors down is another drug dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Well, if you have a drug dealer next-door and Tim Hapless is interested in buying the house, you will always say, "It is such a great neighborhood, great people, salt of the earth, good investment" even though three doors down is another drug dealer.
    Our assessment of others reveals much of ourselves, perhaps more than we intend.

So I moved in a couple days ago and am just starting to get settled in. The main thing I've noticed is the noise, or lack there of. It is quieter here than in Shelby Twp.

So I moved in a couple days ago and am just starting to get settled in. The main thing I've noticed is the noise, or lack there of. It is quieter here than in Shelby Twp.
    Congratulations on your move. Shelby Township's loss is Detroit's gain.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-06-16 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Congratulations on your move. Shelby Townships loss is Detroit's gain.
    Thanks. You should move back as well

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5