Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default East English Village

Hey guys,

I am in the process of moving to East English Village. I found a great house in the SW corner of the neighborhood near Mack. I was hoping to get some information on the area [[shopping, bars, safety, driving/biking to downtown...). I plan on going to the association meetings and would like to get more involved with that in the future. Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

MrMichigan...Where are you moving from?

I'm moving from Shelby Twp.

Any current/previous residents?

My aunt and uncle used to live near Harper & Kensington in a pretty nice area. They left during the recession though when they said it was going downhill...

Congratulations on your move!

Is your house in good shape or will it need some work? What led you to choose EEV? I am sure you will hear numerous naysayers as well as some support. Certainly connecting with the neighborhood group should be a top priority.

Thanks!

The house looks to be in great shape both inside and out, but I'll know more after the inspection this week. I have always thought that EEV had some beautiful houses that are affordable as well. Also, from what I've seen and heard, the neighborhood is overall a safe place to live with great neighbors. Plus, it's a way better commute to downtown vs my old location.

The city's website has crime data. It's great to see where the bad areas really are so you can make an informed decision.

The city website was good. Seems to be more burglaries and thefts rather than violent crimes in the area.

Having lived on the eastside including EEV for the last 54 years you made a MAJOR mistake moving to EEV.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Having lived on the eastside including EEV for the last 54 years you made a MAJOR mistake moving to EEV.
    Nothing like raining on someone's parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Nothing like raining on someone's parade.
    Nothing like raining a little reality onto the BS feel-good parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Nothing like raining a little reality onto the BS feel-good parade.
    That takes care of that.

I have colleagues that live in EEV and love it. I also have a colleague who complained about property crime there. So, best of luck! So glad you are diving in to make the neighborhood a better place.

Congrats on the house. Be sure to go to Eastland mall - there's a store there that sells sweatshirts that say "The Eastside made me" - be sure to get one as a welcome to the neighborhood present for yourself =)

Certain areas along Gratiot and anywhere west of 94 is sketchy - but you're not in the area so nothing to fear. The worst days for that area were 2008-2012. Now it's slowly being demolished [[the abandoned home) and with the rise of downtown/Quicken - you're one of the first neighborhoods so you should see good appreciation.

There is a nice LA Fitness that is on Mack/Moross near St. John's hospital at the Barnes/Noble there. Downtown Grosse Pointe will be a 5 min drive and have your Panera/Einstein/Kroger/Starbucks. There's a neat bar called Whiskey Six that just opened. If you want cheaper fare, there's an Aldi right at Mack/Alter so it's convenient and a secretary of state there. GPP has a lot of good restaurants [[Park Grill for Middle Eastern, Red Crown/Atwater etc).

All in all a solid choice - congrats!

Thanks for the informative post belleislerunner. I'll have to check out those restaurants. I have heard about the property crime 1953 but I can live with that.

P69rrh51, any way you can back up what you're saying... I understand the east side can be rough, but what were your bad experiences in EEV?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMichigan View Post
    Hey guys,

I am in the process of moving to East English Village. I found a great house in the SW corner of the neighborhood near Mack. I was hoping to get some information on the area [[shopping, bars, safety, driving/biking to downtown...). I plan on going to the association meetings and would like to get more involved with that in the future. Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks
    After you close on that house move in. Don't leave it vacant, even for a week or two.

Right! Get an alarm and use timers for lighting. I'd do timers anywhere, any city. I don't like unlocking my front door to a pitch dark room.

Good ideas^^

I have friends who have been living in EEV for many years and love it! I considered EEV myself, but bought in a different neighborhood so that I could walk to work. There's a very proactive neighborhood association in EEV and a diverse mix of neighbors who seem to look out for one another. The neighborhood association has a good relationship with police and they work hard to keep the neighborhood safe and clean. Build Detroit has also been very active in the neighborhood, helping reduce the number of vacant homes and raising the percentage of owner occupied housing in the neighborhood.

Plus you've got one of Detroit's top neighborhood bars: the Cadieux Cafe!

Thanks Bucket, definitely gotta check out Cadieux Cafe.

May we assume from your post, you're still living there? That would seem to beg a question or two in itself?

I pm'ed him to explain himself but no response yet...

This guy is right. Don't be fooled by the occasional pretty house and opinions from people with rose colored glasses. EEV is at best a "tolerable" place to live in and only by Detroit standards. I'm probably not going to change your opinion about that place, as you've probably already made up your mind. However after living there for a few months, I think you'll understand. There's a reason why people want to move OUT of that neighborhood. Especially coming from Shelby Township, you're in for a big change.

Rent first............

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle View Post
    This guy is right. Don't be fooled by the occasional pretty house and opinions from people with rose colored glasses. EEV is at best a "tolerable" place to live in and only by Detroit standards. I'm probably not going to change your opinion about that place, as you've probably already made up your mind. However after living there for a few months, I think you'll understand. There's a reason why people want to move OUT of that neighborhood. Especially coming from Shelby Township, you're in for a big change.
    How about some specifics instead of this general negativity...share some stories

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast