Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit council seeks benefits for its staff

The City Council on Friday is slated to vote on a $1 billion spending plan for the city’s general fund budget that provides full-time status with benefits for up to 70 council staff members.In a last-minute amendment to the 2016-17 fiscal year budget, the administration directed $1.5 million to cover the benefits costs for some council staffers. The dollars were part of an overall pot of $2.3 million in non-departmental funds that was expected to be used for employee training in the new fiscal year, said Councilwoman Mary Sheffield.
    The changes come following an emotional plea by President Brenda Jones, who was moved to tears Thursday as she urged Detroit’s chief financial officer to find the dollars to restore benefits for council staff.
    “It is irritating to me to have to come to the table to beg to have the staff treated fairly,” Jones said during a budget discussion at the council table on Thursday, noting council staffers have endured hardships for years. “I’m at this point pleading, go wherever you need to go.”

interesting article... I guess that there's enough "extra" money in the budget, why not?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...dget/81651784/
    Last edited by Vic01; March-11-16 at 05:30 PM.

The value of benefits for staffers is probably best judged by a comparison of best practices of other large urban cities. The News article of course doesn't even take a stab at judging this on objective criteria. Just covered the horse race and the crying.

I have no problem with benefits for staffers if this is a widely-provided benefit, the budget supports it, and its the best use of money at the moment. Given the history of cronyism around Detroit City Hall, I doubt that it is wise.

I'm certainly not surprised by efforts to enlarge the trough.

417deer Guest

Last edited by 417deer; March-13-16 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    ...I have no problem with benefits for staffers if this is a widely-provided benefit, the budget supports it, and its the best use of money at the moment. Given the history of cronyism around Detroit City Hall, I doubt that it is wise.

I'm certainly not surprised by efforts to enlarge the trough.
    That was my question for the forum - Does the budget support it?

417, can you tell us what links about wages for those with disabilities have to do with this topic? Possibly some of the "up to 70 council staff members" have disabilities, but it wasn't mentioned in the news article...

417deer Guest

QUOTE=Vic01;501558]That was my question for the forum - Does the budget support it?

417, can you tell us what links about wages for those with disabilities have to do with this topic? Possibly some of the "up to 70 council staff members" have disabilities, but it wasn't mentioned in the news article...[/QUOTE]

The auto union jobs are gone now and replaced with retail and fast food jobs with employers paying sub minimum wage using cash or using legal loopholes.

I think if they want benefits then they should listen to the people who pay them.
    Last edited by 417deer; March-14-16 at 05:50 AM.

People should be lining up with torches and pitchforks to oppose this.

It's not the benefit levels for individual employees; they either are or are not justified by the market. But what in the name of all that is good would possibly require City Council members to have big staffs? They don't run departments. They review potential changes to ordinances and the like. Maybe one person per councilperson ought to do it.

Detroit would be best served if its government did not revert to an employer of last resort. There are better uses of the public's money.

It makes little sense for a council "staffer" to be a permanent proffesional position. Load up on internees and fresh out of university eager young people looking for good experience in government that eventually move on. The city needs more professional law enforcement people not politically rewarded plums.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; March-14-16 at 10:37 AM.

There should be no problem with making sure that City Council is staffed with competent and properly compensated professional staff in the Planning and Research and Analysis divisions. Likewise, you need career professionals in Administration so that the business of the body is implemented smoothly. You won't get capable people in these important positions for $30k per year with no benefits.

Council members also need talent on their individuals staffs. But, it's completely preposterous to claim that each member needs FIVE full-time staff. In the Michigan Legislature, members of the House get by with two staffers. Senators make do with four. This exactly the kind of overreach that outstate politicians love to seize on to claim that Detroit is a wasteful black hole.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    There should be no problem with making sure that City Council is staffed with competent and properly compensated professional staff in the Planning and Research and Analysis divisions. Likewise, you need career professionals in Administration so that the business of the body is implemented smoothly. You won't get capable people in these important positions for $30k per year with no benefits.

Council members also need talent on their individuals staffs. But, it's completely preposterous to claim that each member needs FIVE full-time staff. In the Michigan Legislature, members of the House get by with two staffers. Senators make do with four. This exactly the kind of overreach that outstate politicians love to seize on to claim that Detroit is a wasteful black hole.

The staff of state and national legislators typically read and write the extremely long bills that have to be dealt with. Those don't exist at the city level. There is zero excuse for having more than 2 staffers. Being on council is a full time job, not just showing up for meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by 417deer View Post
    Everyone should be treated equally.
    Everyone should be treated fairly.

pay your workers what they are owed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    pay your workers what they are owed.
    Owed by whom?

It seems like when ever I deal with Detroit it is the workers that have the most knowlage and ability to find answers,in general the supervisors are just people mangers with little knowlage about the actual job.

The more workers you have the less work you have to actually do,not to downgrade the progress that the council has made in a positive way,but this seems like a ask high to receive medium negotiations.

They pulled money to pay for this from a fund earmarked for employee training - maybe they could all take a class on fiscal responsibility instead.

As I understand it, there are two chances to reverse this either Duggan or the financial oversight board can veto it.