Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dunkin Donuts to open over 20 stores in Metro Detroit

Watching the morning news on channel 20. Nima Shaffe is interviewing a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins executive, Nigel Travis CEO; he promises over 20 new stores to open in metro Detroit this year. Only location mentioned is apparently one at the Fiat-Chrysler headquarters in Oakland County. Hopefully some will open in Detroit proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Watching the morning news on channel 20. Nima Shaffe is interviewing a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins executive, Nigel Travis CEO; he promises over 20 new stores to open in metro Detroit this year. Only location mentioned is apparently one at the Fiat-Chrysler headquarters in Oakland County. Hopefully some will open in Detroit proper.
    Donuts are bad for you. Eat tofu instead.

There was an article in Eater announcing that there should be four coming to Detroit proper, opening next year. I wasn't a fan of them until spending a few years in New England and now I enjoy them. Curious where they will open.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300209137.html

Best of luck in Timmy Ho's country.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    There was an article in Eater announcing that there should be four coming to Detroit proper, opening next year. I wasn't a fan of them until spending a few years in New England and now I enjoy them.
    Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you got 'till it's gone?

I actually rotate between Timmy, Starbucks, Dunkin, Panera, Einstein - who am I kidding. I love all coffee - except pour overs. Not worth the time to waste at a Great Lakes Roasting, Astro, Red Hook unless the drip is ready. Nothing is more infuriating in life than waiting 3-5 minutes for coffee to brew =)

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Donuts are bad for you. Eat tofu instead.
    now that is just disgusting,tofu donuts ?

nonononononononononono No and NO!

I spent a year and half trying to flee the New England area where there was one of those on every corner and subway train station and the ground was littered [[just teeming) with the dang cups and scratch and win tickets. Now, the bitter reminder follows me here....

I may not drink coffee, but I'm told by many others that their stuff really isn't that good.

Wasn't there Dunkin Doughnuts stores here in Detroit years ago? Did they bug out on us or am I mistaken?

Mickey Lolich had the doughnuts shops of choice in Detroit for many years, then it was Ermer's [[did Mickey sell out?)

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Wasn't there Dunkin Doughnuts stores here in Detroit years ago? Did they bug out on us or am I mistaken?
    There are 2 Dunkin Donut stores in Detroit already.

*8 Mile and Gratiot [[this locatiion's been around for a long time)

And then there's another one somewhere on the far westside.

I love going to the 8 Mile / Gratiot location to get my coffee fix. Tim Horton's coffee tastes like burnt water.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-13-16 at 08:05 AM.

^^^ Ah, another vote for how bad Tim Horton's coffee is. Dunkin Donut far superior!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There are 2 Dunkin Donut stores in Detroit already.

*8 Mile and Gratiot [[this locatiion's been around for a long time)

And then there's another one somewhere on the far westside.

I love going to the 8 Mile / Gratiot location to get my coffee fix. Tim Horton's coffee tastes like burnt water.
    So apparently, the 8 Mile / Gratiot Dunkin Donuts is the only full service [[24 hour) location remaining.

There are Dunkin Donut kiosks at Comerica Park and WSU's campus though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Ah, another vote for how bad Tim Horton's coffee is. Dunkin Donut far superior!
    The gas station at Seven and Mack [[on the Grosse Pointe Farms side) is supposed to convert their garage to a Dunkin Donuts.

Dunkin Donuts should sell their donuts in retail/grocery stores; not just the coffee.

I will never eat a Tim Horton Donut again, I know a fellow bus passenger who I have not seen in a long time, he use to make the donuts at Tim Horton all nite long, he then was laid off. he told me now they use frozen doghnuts now, no wonder they suck, bring on Dunkins remember the commercial TIME TO MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post
    The gas station at Seven and Mack [[on the Grosse Pointe Farms side) is supposed to convert their garage to a Dunkin Donuts.
    The new owner also hopes to transfer a liquor license to his station and sell booze. GPF's police and council are dead set against the idea, but have no vote in the situation. Donuts are fine, booze is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Dunkin Donuts should sell their donuts in retail/grocery stores; not just the coffee.
    Dunkin donuts coffe has been available at several Kroger stores for a relatively long time-regular, decaf, hazelnut, Caribbean
    , Supreme, the whole 9 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I will never eat a Tim Horton Donut again, I know a fellow bus passenger who I have not seen in a long time, he use to make the donuts at Tim Horton all nite long, he then was laid off. he told me now they use frozen doghnuts now, no wonder they suck, bring on Dunkins remember the commercial TIME TO MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS
    Tim's switched to frozen about 6-7 yrs. ago. In Ontario, they actually make franchisees buy them from a bakery at a cost much higher than when they baked their own fresh. Back when Tim's was actually a donut shop they sold about 50 varieties. Now donuts have become an afterthought. You're lucky if there are a dozen different ones at most stores. They make their money on breakfast sandwiches, bagels, soup & sandwiches, etc.

I should hope that one would open in downtown detroit as well as Sanders opening in downtown Detroit

Dunking Donuts should open on three former Caribou Coffee location on Mack

The doughnuts at Dunkin aren't quite as stale as the ones from Tim Hortons,.. but they're not worth stopping for.

The bacon, egg & cheese sandwiches however are terrific.

I found it funny to learn that both Horton's and Dunking make the doughnuts elsewhere, and bring them to the store in boxes. Then they lay them out on the wax paper like places do that actually MAKE doughnuts. That's done so the grease will run off and not drip on the ones below. At Hortons and Dunkin,.. the paper is dry after they bag up your doughnuts,.. because they were like a day or three old when they went on there.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...oughnut-bakery

Quite a different story at Dutch Girl or The Doughnut Cutter.

Another tragedy occurred in the Summer of 2012 when Baskin Robbins stopped making ice cream. [[They closed their last ice cream factory then). Now it's imported stuff,.. and doesn't have the same consistency. I would wait all year for the pumpkin pie flavor to come around.

Where did all the good stuff go? Sob.....

Well,.. at least we can still get good doughnuts at The Doughnut Cutter at 10.5 and Woodward,... and we can import good ice cream from Ohio.

I'm still hunting for a source for beignets. Once you've tried beignets, regular donuts lose their appeal.

Canadians and New Englanders will disagree, but both Tim's amd DD donuts really, really, suck. I'm a fan of donuts from Looney Bakery, Farmington at I-96, and also available at Kroger at Haggerty and 14 Mile [[former Hiller's location). These are donuts with soul, and I can buy them one day, stick them in the fridge, enjoy them for breakfast the next day, and have them be edible, perfect for dunking in my coffee. They're not uniform in shape, as though an actual person made them instead of a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    Canadians and New Englanders will disagree, but both Tim's amd DD donuts really, really, suck. I'm a fan of donuts from Looney Bakery, Farmington at I-96, and also available at Kroger at Haggerty and 14 Mile [[former Hiller's location). These are donuts with soul, and I can buy them one day, stick them in the fridge, enjoy them for breakfast the next day, and have them be edible, perfect for dunking in my coffee. They're not uniform in shape, as though an actual person made them instead of a machine.
    YES!!! Looney Bread! I could go face down on the counter top from consuming the stuff. I try to stop and grab a treat from the Looney Bakery when I'm out that way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast