Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Going to Detroit

I will be heading to Detroit next month for a wedding. I'll be there for 10 days. It's been almost four years since I left Michigan. Any must sees since I left. Thanks

Been three years since I've been back. Would be interested in your thoughts after the trip. Please do post a trip report!

I definitely will.

Check out the renovated David Whitney Building at the corner of Woodward and Park, specifically go inside and once you enter the atrium look up. The Ransom Gillis house in Brush Park has been magnificently restored, so that's worth checking out as well. Check out the belt, which transects the Z garage bounded by Library, Gratiot, Broadway and Grand River. Monroe St. in Greektown has a new streetscape which is pretty inviting. The new red wings arena under construction. Walk up Woodward from Jefferson up to Grand Circus Park, and witness all the renovation. Capital Park has REALLY transformed, so definitely check that out. Check out Belle Isle, it is shining these days like a polished jewel, especially the Scott Fountain! The number of restaurants and coffee shops that have opened since you've been gone has increased tremendously, so many additional great options now for dining. Check out the fixed up Michigan Central Station, while still without tenants, at least it has windows and perhaps night time lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    I will be heading to Detroit next month for a wedding. I'll be there for 10 days. It's been almost four years since I left Michigan. Any must sees since I left. Thanks
    Suggestion: Book a walking tour with Urban Adventures. Worth the cost.

Thanks for all the info. Is the M-1 rail operating?

nope. lots of construction though

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    nope. lots of construction though
    Thanks for the heads up!!

Ok, I don't know if this is a must-see. But I had mind-blowingly good biscuits and gravy for breakfast at Parks and Rec in the GAR building, and just seeing the castle renovated and occupied is worth a moment as well.

Sounds like fun! I also have a trip planned to Detroit late spring/early summer to explore all the things I've been reading about the past few years. One place I'm particularly excited to go see is the renovated GAR building. I plan on having dinner at the Republic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Ok, I don't know if this is a must-see. But I had mind-blowingly good biscuits and gravy for breakfast at Parks and Rec in the GAR building, and just seeing the castle renovated and occupied is worth a moment as well.
    Forgot about the GAR. It's a first class restoration of a beautiful building. I've been to Parks and Rec and it was good, haven't been to Republic, i've read it's very good.