Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Work underway @ Waa-Hoo

it would appear someone is actively renovating the shuttered Waa-Hoo restaurant [[Murphy-Telegraph Bldg). workers were carrying in new light gauge steel studs this am. it would appear to me that work has been ongoing for sometime..the place is stripped back to concrete floors and columns.

i know the building is owned by the late Ted Gatzaros [[400 Monroe Associates)...

im hoping its not another sushi place because ive heard rumors of a new high end sushi place in the federal reserve bldg
    Last edited by hybridy; March-07-16 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    it would appear someone is actively renovating the shuttered Waa-Hoo restaurant [[Murphy-Telegraph Bldg). workers were carrying in new light gauge steel studs this am. it would appear to me that work has been ongoing for sometime..the place is stripped back to concrete floors and columns.

i know the building is owned by the late Ted Gatzaros [[400 Monroe Associates)...

im hoping its not another sushi place because ive heard rumors of a new high end sushi place in the federal reserve bldg
    Another sushi place would be great. Detroit first off has no sushi bars, I repeat no sushi bars. We have restaurants that serve sushi, but not a sushi specific restaurant.

Not to mention Detroit has no diversity when it comes to restaurants. I am tired of the gastropubs in Detroit. There are way too many and lack any creativity. It would also be great to see more Indian restaurants pop up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Another sushi place would be great. Detroit first off has no sushi bars, I repeat no sushi bars. We have restaurants that serve sushi, but not a sushi specific restaurant.

Not to mention Detroit has no diversity when it comes to restaurants. I am tired of the gastropubs in Detroit. There are way too many and lack any creativity. It would also be great to see more Indian restaurants pop up as well.
    Try Kabob House & Mouchack Sweets in Hamtramck, [[don't let the name sway you) The food is VERY good.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try Kabob House & Mouchack Sweets in Hamtramck, [[don't let the name sway you) The food is VERY good.

I am referring to the city of Detroit. Yes it is true that Hamtramck as Kabob House and Aladdin's, but the city of Detroit has no diversity with restaurant scene.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I am referring to the city of Detroit. Yes it is true that Hamtramck as Kabob House and Aladdin's, but the city of Detroit has no diversity with restaurant scene.
    I was just trying to help....

Isn't there a sushi place in the Park Shelton?

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Isn't there a sushi place in the Park Shelton?

Wasabi, but it is Korean and Japanese Cuisine. At the beginning of its first venture, Oslo was primarily known as a sushi bar.

I can't take Wasabi's food at all seriously. Both their Korean and their sushi are bad, and ordered only by desperate students with no real options.

I agree though that a good Indian place-- preferably south Indian-- is what's needed Downtown. I doubt we'll see one though. The rent is just too high.

It'll end up being yet another variant of Fishbones, probably. That or a Greek place.

well, I'm violently allergic to seafood so sushi is out. I'm willing to try an Indian food place; but I've read that certain sauces frequently use coconut milk, which is another allergy dealbreaker for me, and does naan bread always use egg-whites? [[allergy #3).

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    well, I'm violently allergic to seafood so sushi is out. I'm willing to try an Indian food place; but I've read that certain sauces frequently use coconut milk, which is another allergy dealbreaker for me, and does naan bread always use egg-whites? [[allergy #3).
    The Indian and Thai restaurants I frequent will give a brief explanation of the dish and list the basic ingredients. Not all the dishes they serve are made with coconut milk or fish. I'm not sure about all naan using egg whites. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The Indian and Thai restaurants I frequent will give a brief explanation of the dish and list the basic ingredients. Not all the dishes they serve are made with coconut milk or fish. I'm not sure about all naan using egg whites. It probably wouldn't hurt to ask up front.
    Coconut milk is only used in a small minority of Indian dishes. It's a lot more common in Thai food.

A dedicated sushi joint would be great I think! Also, like was suggested an Indian place would do wonders as well. Personally I would love to see more African or Caribbean places.

As long as we're dreaming, I'd love it if Megha's, the Indian buffet at 15 and Dequinder, opened a Detroit location. Doesn't have to be downtown proper, I'd accept anywhere in the grand boulevard loop.