Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Financial District Video

I've just finished a video on the history of Downtown Detroit. It's actually the first of two videos. The second will cover the Grand Circus Park area and should be up two weeks from now.

Thoughts? Comments? Errors? I'm certain there are errors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKvDTEFbHw

Enjoy,
    Benjamin A. Vazquez, U.E.

The background music is disturbing like an ice-cream truck wont go away.

Makes it hard to listen to what you are saying.

Not to single you out because it's still widely used, but I'm really tired of the term rust belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Not to single you out because it's still widely used, but I'm really tired of the term rust belt.
    It's called Negative Reinforcement. Over time it becomes a term of endearment

I think you're saying Pontchartrain wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUanCZjg3SI

The second "T" is definitely pronounced

Quote Originally Posted by middetres View Post
    I think you're saying Pontchartrain wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUanCZjg3SI

The second "T" is definitely pronounced
    Yes, and the first T is mute.

I really like the idea of the walking tour with the video, cool project.

Also... the Guardian Building is covered in millions of bricks in a color labeled "Guardian Orange"... not red bricks.

Yes, there several mistakes. Also learn how to pronounce Penobscot and Buhl properly.

You guys are a tad harsh. It's a fantastic video with lots of great research. Well done Ben!

1) Are you saying D'troy-it? Because unless you're Gordon Lightfoot in one specific song, that's super annoying.

EDIT: I looked at your profile and it says you're from London, ON. I just thought it was an urban legend that Canadians pronounce it that. I'm not sure I've heard my cousins from Canada ever say "Detroit", so I wouldn't know!

2) Are you a descendant of an United Empire Loyalist? [[U.E.)
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; March-04-16 at 02:24 PM.

black gold man,
    We've been experimenting with various music volumes, from non-existent to quiet to this. We may be cutting the music volume substantially in later videos.

401don,
    I actually identify myself with the Rust Belt on a personal level. London's industrial heritage isn't anything like as rich and deep as Detroit's or Cleveland's, but I've been active in preservation efforts in the Smokestack District here in London, which is a large part of what sparked off this series. I associated "Rust Belt" with a rich architectural tradition, and especially a rich industrial architectural heritage, and I've always used it as a point of pride.

middetres, canuck,
    I suspected I was pronouncing Pontchartrain wrong. All the sources I was using were written, either in print or online.

Gistok,
    I try to limit myself to a relatively small palate of colours for the script. One of a number of sacrifices made to make the videos digestible. I hesitated between "red" and "orange" for the Guardian Building. In retrospect "orange" would probably have been the better choice.

dtowncitylover,
    I've always used D'troy-it. It's very much the standard pronunciation here in London. I've heard Dee-troit before on occasion, though. I assume that's the pronunciation you had in mind?

And yes, the Buchners were militia captains with the British in New Jersey, and came up to the Niagara Peninsula after the revolution. The Battle of Lundy's Lane was fought on our property during the War of 1812.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    1) Are you saying D'troy-it? Because unless you're Gordon Lightfoot in one specific song, that's super annoying.

EDIT: I looked at your profile and it says you're from London, ON. I just thought it was an urban legend that Canadians pronounce it that. I'm not sure I've heard my cousins from Canada ever say "Detroit", so I wouldn't know!

2) Are you a descendant of an United Empire Loyalist? [[U.E.)
    Believe me most Canadians, at least those in Ontario, do say D troy it. I also grew up near London. On the other hand, most Canadians find it amusing that Americans say Tor on tow. Canadians always say Trawna.

Informative and entertaining. Thanks

Ben,

The reason I mentioned orange for the brick color has more to do with its' historic connotation. Here's a direct quote from HistoricDetroit.org....

"The commission for the building went out to Smith, Hinchman & Grylls, which chose one of its noted designers, Wirt C. Rowland, for the job. The result was a 496-foot, 40-story steel-framed building sheathed in 1.8 million orange bricks — a specially formulated shade dubbed Guardian brick by the architect. The use of brick is unusual in a building of this size from this era. Usually, granite and limestone were used, and the Guardian was the world’s tallest masonry structure when it was completed."

Quote Originally Posted by deeman View Post
    You guys are a tad harsh. It's a fantastic video with lots of great research. Well done Ben!
    The creator of the video did absolutely no research. Almost all he was doing was plagiarizing Dan Austin's tireless work documenting the city's treasures.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-04-16 at 11:22 PM.