Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Mary Beck

Default Mary Beck

Does anyone know where Detroit City Council President Mary Beck lived while she lived in Detroit?

Bump because this was posted in the wrong forum and may not be noticed down the list after the moved

Funny that name came up. I was thinking of her yesterday. She was the only person I knew who was born on Leap Year Day, which, coincidentally, was Monday.

Just looked her up on the 1940 census report, and located her living at 4835 Renville, in the Michigan/Lonyo area. She was a social worker at that time, living with her brother, John, and sister, Sonia. All three indicate they were born in Pennsylvania. I do know that Mary Beck never married, and I don't believe her brother John did either.

I have no idea if or when they may have moved from Renville Street.

Short bio sketch here: http://detroithistorical.org/learn/e...it/beck-mary-v
    Last edited by Ray1936; March-02-16 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Does anyone know where Detroit City Council President Mary Beck lived while she lived in Detroit?
    Here is a 1970 Free Press photo of Mary Beck in front of her "west side home". Unfortunately, no address is given. But it sure isn't at that address on Renville.

It appears to be an unused photo that was shot for a Free Press story on what Ms. Beck was doing after leaving the council. Apparently, gardening was what he was up to, an the shot that ran with the story seems to have been on of her gardening in the backyard.

So, if you can find that house, you can find out where she lived. Just looking at the house in the picture I'd guess somewhere around Rosedale Park.

Name:  mary beck 1970.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  95.9 KB

I remember her as the old gal on City Council who wore different hats and complained about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Here is a 1970 Free Press photo of Mary Beck in front of her "west side home". Unfortunately, no address is given. But it sure isn't at that address on Renville.

It appears to be an unused photo that was shot for a Free Press story on what Ms. Beck was doing after leaving the council. Apparently, gardening was what he was up to, an the shot that ran with the story seems to have been on of her gardening in the backyard.

So, if you can find that house, you can find out where she lived. Just looking at the house in the picture I'd guess somewhere around Rosedale Park.

Name:  mary beck 1970.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  95.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Mary Beck lived at 2026 Oakman Blvd. for many years. Basically, this is the Oakman Blvd. and Dexter area. She lived there from about 1949-1994 and then moved to Sterling Heights. It's interesting in a couple of ways that she lived in this neighborhood.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; March-03-16 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Mary Beck lived at 2026 Oakman for many years. Apparently she lived there from about 1949-1994 and then moved to Sterling Heights. It's interesting in a couple of ways that she lived in this neighborhood.
    Confirmed. Oakman between Wildemere and Dexter.

Name:  beck oakman house.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  68.5 KB

Her opponent in the 1969 mayor's race, longtime Michigan Secretary of State Richard Austin [[she lost in the primary, he lost to Roman Gribbs in the general election), also lived on Oakman. His house was a few blocks further down the street to the southwest, between Buena Vista and Fullerton.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-03-16 at 05:19 PM.

Dick Austin lived on Oakman Blvd. west of Livernois and Mary Beck lived east of Livernois. Based on 1960's demographics it would have been more likely for their residences to have been reversed.

Up until the mid-1960's the co-founder of Faygo, Perry Feigenson and his son Herman [[Treasurer) lived across the street from Mary Beck. I'm unsure how long Herman lived there after his father died.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; March-03-16 at 10:57 PM.