Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gil Hill Has Passed Away

My DPD academy classmate from the class of July 13, 1959. Good friend, damn good honest cop. Even after I had moved to Nevada, I sent several checks to his campaign fund. He would have been a darn good mayor. And certainly a helluva lot better than the yahoo who beat him.

The Detroit Police Academy class of July 13, 1959. That's me in the little square, and Gil Hill is second to the right of me. Memories. Damn.

Ray1936 - That is some interesting history. I know you have many stories to tell from your fine career taking care of the citizens of Detroit. Have you ever thought of writing a book?

By the way, where was the building located in front of which that class picture was taken?

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Ray1936 - Have you ever thought of writing a book?

By the way, where was the building located in front of which that class picture was taken?
    Q. 1. Yes, but no thanks.

Q. 2 555 Clinton, across from Police Headquarters [[then) at 1300 Beaubien, where the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice now stands. We just called it the triple nickel building. Funny thing was that it also held the probation department of the Recorder's Court. First day of the academy most recruits went up to the probation department and, well, everybody was friggin' confused.

Thanks for the information. I always enjoy your posts. You have seen much in your career.

And may I extend my condolences on the passing of your friend/classmate. Baruch dayan emet!
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; February-29-16 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Thanks for the information. I always enjoy your posts. You have seen much in your career.

And may I extend my condolences on the passing of your friend/classmate. Baruch dayan emet!
    Thanks for the kind words, Sy, and, yeah, I'm feeling a bit nostalgic tonight.

Awe... what sad news. RIP Gill Hill....

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ician_and.html

I guess it was as expected in '59, and I hope you don't mind my saying so Ray, but that's a very white class with whom Mr. Hill graduated.

Well, it was a very white city in 1959. But things changed, as things do.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Black don't crack... RIP

For all the awful people who have served this city as public officials in various capacities over the years, there were some good eggs. I think Gil Hill was one of them. We'd be in a better place now if there had been a few more Gil Hills. Thanks for your service on the street and in office, sir. Rest in Peace, prayers to your friends and family.

Can't believe no one shouted out Beverly Hills Cop yet. Here is his IMDB entry.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-29 at 11.55.22 PM.png
Views: 1002
Size:  124.9 KB
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0384280/?ref_=tt_cl_t10

One my favorite stories he told was of his first press when "Hill who robbed Hill arrested by Hill" became a headline about when he colllared a man name Hill who robbed another Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Can't believe no one shouted out Beverly Hills Cop yet.
    He was much more interesting in that movie than anyone else in it.

RIP to a fine man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The Detroit Police Academy class of July 13, 1959. That's me in the little square, and Gil Hill is second to the right of me. Memories. Damn.
    RIP to a fantastic man. BTW Ray, did you happen to graduate with any women in your class and do you remember their names? My grandmother was DPD Lt. at some point and worked with Gil closely during her tenure.

We had three women in our class. The only one whose name I remember was Elizabeth Keaton, and she resigned a year or two later. What was your grandmother's name? I'd likely remember her.

has Mayor Duggan issued a public statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    We had three women in our class. The only one whose name I remember was Elizabeth Keaton, and she resigned a year or two later. What was your grandmother's name? I'd likely remember her.

Pat Zadorozny, she worked in the homicide unit and later in her career, the Mounted Division.

I always imagined his act in Beverly Hills Cop as a reflection of how he really was. I imagine a no BS honest guy and good cop. Another gone from a great generation! RIP

Oh, Jeez, I knew Pat well! Please mention me to her next time you see her! My real name is Ray Downing. She'll remember. And tell her I smiled when I saw her name just now!

Can't forget when I went to see Beverly Hills Cop at the Norwest, how my Mom kept pleading me to recall the sequence with Gil Hill [[which at the age of 10, feh.), so we had to rush out and go see it together at the Fairlane cramped cinemas.

It still kills me that as a family we were so geeked when my mom brought home a giant promotional stand-up of Beverly Hills Cop 2 [[from the neighborhood video store she worked at) with Eddie Murphy posing on it signed by Gil Hill in marker.

Gil Hill used to come into the photo store I worked at. I was thrilled when Mad magazine did a send up of him after Beverly Hills Cop. Jimmy Harris, a Homicide Detective, gave me his personal number to call. So, I called him up and mentioned it to him, which he was surprised about, and Jimmy told me to tell him he was a "Bad boss."

He replied "Now dahlin', you know you can't believe anything that boy says."

I went to the viewing today. The Swanson funeral home had no handicap access, but that didn't stop some kind gentlemen from helping me up and down the stairs [[thank you much). Gil Hill had a very nice casket with his name engraved on it. I didn't catch the name of the guy who did the slide presentation, but he had clips from video and photos running in a cycle. I missed immy Harris, but I guess he visited Gil Hill a lot when he was older and sick. They really didn't make to much of a deal about his Beverly hills Cop appearance.

Thank you for that report, Now&then. Were I not 2k miles away, I'd of been there for my old friend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast