Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dequindre Cut Frontage? Eastern Market

Wandered over to have a look at Dequindre Cut progress at the Wilkins exit area, and noticed the ground floor [[at least) of the building on SE corner Riopelle and Wilkins has all new windows and what appeared to be glass doors fronting on the Cut. From the Riopelle side it's clear there's major construction going on-- some sorts of interior partitions being installed, looks like. Also, couldn't miss the Porta-Potties on site.

Anyone know what's going on? Who owns the building, and what's it going to become?

The Cut-front building on the north side of Division in under construction as well, with some brick fill in work being done. I asked the workers about it, but they didn't speak English so no info there.

Here's a photo of the area-- Name:  DEQ cut frontageII.JPG
Views: 3267
Size:  238.6 KB

The Dequindre cut generates a lot of possibilities in the area from dining to residential opportunities.

Good eye and thanks for the picture Llama!

I have been wondering what they were doing with that spot for awhile now. I have a feeling they are just prepping for future development and don't necessarily have any concrete plans right now. The other side of the building is still looking rather rough and awkward. It would be a cool spot for some offices/lofts though.

That's wonderful seeing those buildings prepped to be saved. A mix of residential and business would be cool. Imagine if you could buy pop or water on the upper level, or down there in the cut. Awesome. For residential, some folks would hate having a stream of strangers walking past all day, others would love it.

Someone is putting way too much money into this building for it just to be random. Look at the framing on the upper level in the first pic. It's more clearly visible in the shot below, and seems to be set back a bit from the building's edge perhaps to allow for a corridor or a balcony. Name:  DEQ Rio Side.JPG
Views: 2852
Size:  197.6 KB

Here's a closer view of the original pic. Looks like the glass is all in along the far section, except the top floor.
    Name:  DEQ cut front close.JPG
Views: 2951
Size:  152.6 KB

With as much development news as there usually is in Detroit, I'm just very surprised I haven't heard of this one. Or whatever is going on just south at Division St., which building seems to have only a single door and a couple windows at ground level facing the Cut. These guys were bricking in around a frame on the side of that one. Name:  DEQ brick in.JPG
Views: 2890
Size:  196.9 KB

As of beginning of the year, it appears no current plan behind the construction:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-looks-to-grow

To my non-expert eyes, that certainly does look like a project with a specific plan.

The property was picked up at Wayne county auction in September 2015 by Lycaste Street Properties. Lycaste is owned by everyone's favorite slumlord, Dennis K. Expect flashy entrances and the promise of something cool like a rooftop deck or a stripper pole in every unit.

Be not surprised when the tile starts falling off the walls because the Elmer's Glue got old.

dennis K. = d.b.

One way to kill my excitement is to mention Kefallinos' name. Ugh.

Thanks for raining on my parade, gnome......

None of these pictures really show it, but from the cut there are units with new windows and residential type doors that are obviously intended to allow access to the units from the cut itself. They look like front doors of an apartment, maybe an office. At first I thought it was kind of cool but on second thought I don't know how that would work or how secure it is. Someone should post a picture of that.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3494...2!8i6656?hl=en

Even though it is Kefallinos you gotta admit it looks better than this streetview from 2013.

Sorry for the bad news.

I know we all get really giggle like when windows and doors and paint get put into buildings instead of being pulled out, but Dennis K is like a _________ with a bad case of ______. And just when you think he couldn't __________ he does.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3494...2!8i6656?hl=en

Even though it is Kefallinos you gotta admit it looks better than this streetview from 2013.

at one time this forum had a half dozen members who lived in several of his buildings. The hatred for Dennis K is real, based in real things done to real people. This new venture will be another Poorly constructed rat hole designed to exploit others.

Kefallinos is a piece of cap no doubt. An ex girlfriend and former forumer lived in Milwaukee Park Lofts when we're dating. So I know firsthand how unresponsive he can be. I was just pointing out it looks much better

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Kefallinos is a piece of cap no doubt. An ex girlfriend and former forumer lived in Milwaukee Park Lofts when we're dating. So I know firsthand how unresponsive he can be. I was just pointing out it looks much better
    Well, Mr. Gumby, me thinks you are more pliant than I.

*Pokey told me say that.

** He has some real issues with you and those chaps you like to wear at home.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    at one time this forum had a half dozen members who lived in several of his buildings. The hatred for Dennis K is real, based in real things done to real people. This new venture will be another Poorly constructed rat hole designed to exploit others.
    Dennis K has gotten debri all over the extended part of the Cut coming from the building that is probably being cheesily renovated. He has also left a orange barreled baricade in the middle of the Cut resulting in those who are running, walking, or cycling the Cut detouring at Gratiot and not being able to use the completly finished Cut all the way through from Atwater to Mack. Its fishy that he was able to purchase this building at an auction. He could do such as the DNR had done when the Globe building which is next to the Cut wad being renovated; Put up a tall net or baricade against the building so that it could be renovated while people are using the Cut

Default More photos and another perspective

Looks like something serious happened yesterday at around 6pm between Eastern market and the Chestnut st. overpass closing the cut off for a few hours. Can't find any news though

What a great loft location for someone working downtown. Bike to work; walk to best food shoping around.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Looks like something serious happened yesterday at around 6pm between Eastern market and the Chestnut st. overpass closing the cut off for a few hours. Can't find any news though
    I saw it too. Private security had the end closer to the Riverwalk blocked off while Detroit Police were at the end towards Eastern Market [[where the incident occurred). Unfortunately the lack of news about it is suspicious. Given the 2013 Fireworks shooting coverup, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something serious.

July-05-16, 01:00 PM

SammyS

...My girlfriend on the other hand disagrees so last Sunday we took a ride down to dequindre cut and as mentioned on another thread, a section was closed as a "crime scene". We rode back through a few hours later only to see a family gathered in tears. I have no idea what happened but it looked serious. Nonetheless, it hasn't changed my opinion but I doubt my gf will likely return soon.

I cant confirm this at all, so take it with a grain of salt, but on Nextdoor someone reported that a young man committed suicide with a gun after an argument with his girlfriend. Im not sure if the police report suicides differently, but that may be why it hasn't been in the news.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I cant confirm this at all, so take it with a grain of salt, but on Nextdoor someone reported that a young man committed suicide with a gun after an argument with his girlfriend. Im not sure if the police report suicides differently, but that may be why it hasn't been in the news.
    Unfortunately, a second reported suicide sounds suspicious in itself. Regardless of the manner of death, it is reasonable to expect a news report about it given the prominence of the location. The lack of news as well as a report of it being another suicide are a troubling combination to say the least.

A quick peek from Sunday of the the Eastern Market entrance to the Dequindre Cut. [Click images to open in new tab for large views]

The Wilkins Street Plaza entrance as at the corner of Orleans and Wilkins.

Wilkins Street Plaza overlooks the newly finished cut.

Looking north from under the Division Street Bridge.

Looking north from under the Gratiot Street Bridge.

The "Slaugherhouse" residential conversion.

Vandalism of the "Slaugherhouse" residential conversion

Wilkins Plaza parking lot. Roma Cafe [red awning] in the background.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast