Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here is the Smith house as shown on the Sanborn map of 1925. It looks like it was actually left on a wider lot when the surrounding lots were platted.

Name:  clements farmhouse sanborn 1925.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  81.6 KB

And here it is on the 1950 Sanborn. In the interim, the eastern portion of the farmhouse appears to have been removed, and another house has been wedged in to the same lot next to it. Presumably the one that's still there today. Interesting that they just didn't tear down the older house entirely.

Name:  clements farmhouse sanborn 1950.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  86.9 KB
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-09-16 at 01:54 PM.

What is the address of that house?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    What is the address of that house?
    Looks like 2015 Clements.

What did we decide? Was the house moved to its current location? Is it oriented to face north or to align with the former Glendale/Indiandale Rd? Was it rotated to fit in the later lot boundaries shown on the subdivision plat?

In the 1876 atlas, I suspect his was the circled house since the western half of section 7 was later sold to E Ford. Did the mapmaker neglect to show the proper orientation of the cabin, or was it later moved?

Name:  1876.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  124.7 KB

A few other tidbits from that 1876 atlas: a toll gate on Grand River at W Chicago, outside the settlement of Howlett; a gas well just to the west; a tavern at Oakman and Grand River; and farther up, a hotel with the Greenfield Post Office, probably in the lobby.

Name:  1876b.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  177.9 KB

Anyone know whatever happened to this place? Was a buyer ever found?

^^^ Wish we could find a buyer, but that's a rough area. Otherwise board it up lest a body be found inside!

Looks like the property is listed for sale:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/12/7...M6ROyVzJe3WBqQ

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    Looks like the property is listed for sale:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/12/7...M6ROyVzJe3WBqQ
    Reading the listing, it says the duplex is included in the sale and "the seller will not consider a tear down proposal" for the farm house. Hoping it comes to fruition.

Outstanding thread. Leave that house alone, or else.....!

EDITED: The subject property of this article is not the James Smith cabin.

- - - - - - - - - -

House is gone
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ck/3007983002/
    Last edited by Crystal; March-11-19 at 11:26 AM.

F'in Detroit. You can't buy stupidity like this. Maybe the Illitch's will put a ball field on it.

This appears to be a different house. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The story is about a different cabin.

My apologies, everyone. The house that was razed was at 2038 Halleck Street. The James Smith cabin, the subject of this thread, is still standing.

I live near Mc Nichols and Meyers and on the original deed to our house it says the Loyola Brothers Estates Subdivision, Greenfield township

My apologies, everyone. The house that was razed was at 2038 Halleck Street. The James Smith cabin, the subject of this thread, is still standing.

Way to go Crystal, you gave everyone cabin fever.

Google Street View shows the house has been fixed up. It has a nice new door and windows.

I'm glad that the James Smith House is well kept in the ghetto. And folks over Clements Street are protecting that home from the elements.

Here's how it look today.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3963...7i16384!8i8192

Wow, looks better than it has in years! Cedar roof is appropriate, and they got rid of the aluminum to show the wood lap siding. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I'm glad that the James Smith House is well kept in the ghetto. And folks over Clements Street are protecting that home from the elements.

Here's how it look today.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3963...7i16384!8i8192
    Notice that the walkway to the house appears to be wooden slats, not concrete.

All it needs now is a vintage flashing neon arrow sign that says: Ye Olde Smith House ».

Very sad.

This house should be registered on the historical list and moved before it be further vandalized, neglected, burned down, or razed

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This house should be registered on the historical list and moved before it be further vandalized, neglected, burned down, or razed
    I'm not sure whether this counts but it does have a "Historical landmark" marker in Google maps. That might not have any legal bearing though.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post

Well the 1883 Cadieux Farm House is still there and its has not been vandalized.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4055...7i16384!8i8192

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2