Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Ethnicity within this forum?

As is well documented Detroit is a mostly African American populated city. I'm watching everything happen in this forum from the outside perspective of being non American. I don't want to sound impolite but is it a strange question to ask what the ethnicity of all your forum members is?

It's just a general question to see if the figures are more or less the same in the city as in the forum.

Me,
    I'm caucasian. Born and raised in the Netherlands.

Born and raised in Detroit and the nextburbs area, Native American,[[Ottawa), and European, [[Irish, Scottish, German, Polish).[[Damn those blankets and guns)!
    And I enjoy the worst values of all of them.
    Last edited by Bigb23; February-28-16 at 07:59 AM.

I think people worry too much about race/ethnicity. The racial background of those who post on this website does not matter in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I think people worry too much about race/ethnicity. The racial background of those who post on this website does not matter in the least.
    Exactly.

Me? I'm covered in orange fur with a giant snout and a funny walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Exactly.

Me? I'm covered in orange fur with a giant snout and a funny walk.

Wow. Donald Trump participates on DetroitYES?

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Well since he's posted this already.... he's a very snooty Jewish Grosse Pointer who lives in the Shores.... [[you can get all that by his posting name and posts)... and by his incessant use of Oy Vey! ... on the forum. And by the sound of it I would guess Ashkenazi....

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    As is well documented Detroit is a mostly African American populated city. I'm watching everything happen in this forum from the outside perspective of being non American. I don't want to sound impolite but is it a strange question to ask what the ethnicity of all your forum members is?

It's just a general question to see if the figures are more or less the same in the city as in the forum.

Me,
    Person of Color

I'm half human...

I'm one who reads the tag line BEFORE the op-ed to know where the drift is coming from.
    Same with this forum.

"Person of Color"

Extremely well known. I like the cross Atlantic buzz.

I thought Whitehouse was Welsh and not Dutch ?

Correct me If I'm wrong, we need a history lesson here.

I'm white, grew up in Clawson, live in Rochester Hills, I work in Detroit. I joined the forum because what happens to Detroit is important to me. I find the downtown developments to be fascinating. I also am interested in what can be done to stabilize the city's residential neighbors, reduce crime, and fix the education system in the city.

^^^ Awe, our resident snuffleupagus! We never knew!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-28-16 at 06:59 PM.

WASP here. 8th great grandparents were John Alden and Priscilla Mullins. Been here a while.

My many times great grandfather came over on the Mayflower with John Alden and Miles Standish, small world lol

Anishinaabe [[Ojibwe)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post

Me,
    Dang good question.

Most of the forum posters are not even from Wayne County [[where Detroit and the western suburbs are located). It's a given that many of them are white as the Silver Surfer's bedsheets. Some may've lived in Detroit or worked in Detroit at one time, but many of them are in Oakland or Macomb County. I am a Caucasian [[French/Romanian background) living in Dearborn.

My father was from the Detroit area and he was a mutt, so I guess I am too.

Are there many Romanians in the Detroit area? I’m of Romanian descent with some French, Dutch and Irish thrown in. Not quite a Heinz 57.

My maternal grandparents left Austro-Hungary in 1905/6 for Detroit. The city they lived in was Arad, which is now Romania.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Bay Area View Post
    Are there many Romanians in the Detroit area? I’m of Romanian descent with some French, Dutch and Irish thrown in. Not quite a Heinz 57.

Born in Detroit, grew up in the suburbs, lived in SE Michigan all my 66 years except for a brief stint at college in Grand Rapids. Caucasian, maternal side from Germany and Romania, paternal side from Cornwall, England. Males on both sides were coal miners, especially those from England.

Most of the forum posters are not even from Wayne County [[where Detroit and the western suburbs are located). It's a given that many of them are white as the Silver Surfer's bedsheets. Some may've lived in Detroit or worked in Detroit at one time, but many of them are in Oakland or Macomb County. I am a Caucasian [[French/Romanian background) living in Dearborn

Wow - I feel less on this forum but I'll try.

Much to the chagrin of some, we're all African Americans on this bus.

See Y-chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve.

European American, here, via Ireland and Germany. Lived in Detroit 1968-1972, northeast suburbs now. [[Macomb County) Sometimes I feel like a stranger in a strange land, though.

another white guy, how I got to Detroit and why I left is too long and not really germane.

My grandparents moved here from Eastern Russia after the first World War.

People sometimes refer to me as Caucasian because my skin is white but with ethnicity being east of the Caucasian Mtns - I identify as person of color. Sub bullet white. Caucasian is incorrect and offensive. We fought those people.

Just like any white person born in Capetown is still African or if they move here an African American.

Hence it's easier to stick with colors, white, black, brown.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    People sometimes refer to me as Caucasian because my skin is white but with ethnicity being east of the Caucasian Mtns - I identify as person of color. Sub bullet white. Caucasian is incorrect and offensive. We fought those people.

Just like any white person born in Capetown is still African or if they move here an African American.

Hence it's easier to stick with colors, white, black, brown.
    The only Caucasian Mountains would be the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

If you are referring to the Caucasus Mountains between the Black and Caspian Seas, then you could be either white [[Armenian, Georgian or Arabic) or Mongoloid [[Turkic or Kazak or Chechen). And if you insist on a color descriptive... you could be yellow/white....
    Last edited by Gistok; August-29-16 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast