Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Detroit Stylin and Gistok - two of the DetroitYES' founding parents! Thanks to both for your great posts over the years.
    Huzzah! Couldn't agree more. Although I left Motown in 1984 when I retired from the DPD, I have really tried to keep my pulse on the city and areas since that time. Still have family back there, although I admit all are in the 'burbs. But between Eight Mile and the River will always be a part of me.

Meanwhile, I must admit, the failing problem, in my mind, is the boring flatness of all of Michigan.....at least compared to the mountains of my adopted southwest. And the milder weather, for sure.

English. Came over in 1712. Settled in Pennsylvania. Look up "Downingtown, PA". Named for my 6xgt Grandfather. Family line moved from PA to KS about 1858 [[pre-civil war), thence to New Mexico, thence to Chicago, IL; thence to Schenectady, NY; thence to Detroit about 1923, and now me, a deserter, in Las Vegas, NV. Happy as a bug.

Mostly N European extraction, but first generation American. I check in here every once in a while because my greatest hope is to move back some day. For now, I'm on the Third Coast, tired of the hurricanes.

I never heard that term third coast before.
    Last edited by bust; September-27-20 at 06:04 PM.

Personally, I'm American. Because no one anywhere my ancestors came from would recognize me as belonging to their culture today anyway. So is almost everyone else here, except Canadians. That's because we honor their subtle differences .
    Last edited by bust; September-27-20 at 06:18 PM.

Something I think makes the United States great:
    It doesn't take long for an immigrant to be considered "American".
    Try that elsewhere.
    Even if it's possible to become a citizen, usually afterwards you're still an "other".
    The best countries have the courage, curiosity, and confidence to welcome outsiders.
    May we continue to be great.

Are there many Romanians in the Detroit area? I’m of Romanian descent with some French, Dutch and Irish thrown in. Not quite a Heinz 57.

My maternal grandparents left Austro-Hungary in 1905/6 for Detroit. The city they lived in was Arad, which is now Romania.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Bay Area View Post
    Are there many Romanians in the Detroit area? I’m of Romanian descent with some French, Dutch and Irish thrown in. Not quite a Heinz 57.

Wow. Donald Trump participates on DetroitYES?
    LMBO 😂 omgsh I almost spit my coffee out after reading that. ...[[it's all in fun on here) good 1 though

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Curious to know, Lowell; when I got my DNA done on Ancestry, it came back as 2% Iberian Jew, of which I was proud. When they recently reran the tests using newer optics, I lost all of my Jewish heritage. Did you experience the same thing?
    The same thing happened to me. I was a trace Asian Indian but when revisions were made, that disappeared although being part Cypriot showed up. My son, who also took a 23&Me test, still shows up as being part Asian Indian.

My son also showed up as having some Lower Saxony ancestry that did not appear on my 23&Me results although shows up in my genealogy as a mining engineer [[and wife?) born there in 1580 who migrated.

23&Me also had me down for being 15% English. My genealogy shows no evidence of any English going back a thousand years. I wrote 23&Me telling them that there was a migration of Belgae, a Celtic tribe, to what is now England to escape the Roman army. I suspected that they confused Belgae genes with other Celtic genes found there at the time. Whether it was because of my email or not, the English disappeared from my 23&Me ancestry and I was gifted with a preposterous amount of Scandinavian ancestry which my genealogy says is not true.

While 23&me turns up interesting things, it is sometimes wrong. The good thing is that 23&Me updates information based on new information.

Genomic science indicates that we all descend from a common mother, “Mitochondrial Eve”, and a common father “Y-Chromosomal Adam”, as they are dubbed. Not necessarily from the same time and place in our Homo Sapiens history but each from over 100,000 years ago in Africa.

When asked my ancestry I sometimes like to say, “Technically African-American but more accurately, simply human.“

That we are all connected I find comforting. Or to paraphrase what John Donne wrote long ago...
    “No human is an island entire of itself;
    Every human is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
    If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less,
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as any manner of thy friends or of thine own were;
    Any human's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in humankind.
    And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee."

... When asked my ancestry I sometimes like to say, “Technically African-American but more accurately, simply human.“...
    Me too.

I vaguely recall a bump in the road where they had to revise the theory when they found a different location for Mitochondrial Eve — but it was still in Africa. I remember thinking at the time that that's going to tick off a lot of racists. LOL! What a tease.

Controversial new study pinpoints where all modern humans arose

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3