Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lafayette Sales department[[?) store?

Hey all,

Curious if anyone has any memories about a store that I believe was called Lafayette Sales, I didn't see anything in the forum search. I remember my folks dragging me with them there a couple times and my memory was that it was a relatively nice and unique store [[sort of like Service Merchandise) and I enjoyed playing with the Casio keyboards and looking at action figures while my parents did their thing.

Just wondering if anyone has any color to help paint my faint memory - location, was it a chain, did it get absorbed by another store... I was born in '75 so this would have been early to mid 80's.

Thanks...

In Southwest Detroit in the 1960s and 70s, you didn't have to go much further than Vernor Highway to get any of your shopping done [[food, clothes, shoes, ice cream, prescriptions). We got our first color TV at Hartmann Appliance on Vernor, in 1975. [[We were very late to the color TV game). We were too poor growing up to afford very many extras in the world of electronics, but I recall Lafayette Sales was a close-to-home headquarters for that stuff. I remember going in once or twice to buy a radio and possibly some CB stuff. That's about all I have. I think the store may have still been there in the early 1990s.

In 1967 there is a Lafayette Sales located at 6200 W Lafayette
    In 1984 there is one at 6121 W. Fort Street

Did a Google search on "Lafayette Sales" Detroit MI. It returned 3 ads from the above years in the Freep Archives. I don't want to pay for a scrip, so all I could do was pick up the addresses directly from the Google hits.

There was the Lafayette Market on Lafayette and Dragoon and I think it was this family that then opened Lafayette Sales on Fort St. The truant officer for Detroit Public School had ties to both if I remember correctly.

Lafayette market was on Lafayette between Livernois and Dragoon. It later changed its name to Lafayette Sales. They closed the Lafayette Store and reopened on Fort Street. The owner eventually closed and moved to Irish Hills area where he opened a Bar and Grill.