Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit hotspot has shots fired every four hour average?

According to a pilot program assessment [[click on link above to see animated area chart etc)!

From article:

A three-square-mile section of the east side community has been the focus of an anti-crime pilot program that uses sound sensors to detect gunfire and alert police. Under the study, California-based SST provided its ShotSpotter technology for free, recording 8,896 gunshots in 15 months. The data revealed that a gun is fired every four hours in the pilot zone, with 49 percent of the incidents involving two or more shots.

Company officials are now urging Detroit to broaden its use of the sensors in violent neighborhoods — and to start footing the bill.

SST says it’s crafting a plan that would ask the city to pay up to $1.2 million per year to expand the service to an additional 16 square miles. Detroit could also opt out and let the program go. A finalized proposal will be delivered in the coming weeks, said Ralph Clark, the company’s president and CEO.....

The technology detected 2,770 gunfire events over the duration of the pilot program, Clark said, adding he would wager that the “vast majority” of the incidents didn’t result in a 911 call.

“I hope that shocks you all because that’s an awful lot of gunfire,” Clark told the council. “That is completely unacceptable.”....

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...gram/80890028/
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-25-16 at 07:10 PM.

A very interesting article. Should it be kept? So you know where the shots are. But do the police follow them up. Or can the even do so since there are so many? Maybe their just driving by will help.

As noted the ShotSpotter company is running a 'first bag free' demo and now wants Detroit to pay. They are also the ones producing the stats and presumably the very interest animate map of shots further down in the article. Here's a freeze shot.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-25 at 10.44.52 AM.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  45.7 KB

ShotSpotter officials laid out 16-block stretches of 11 east side streets — including Collingham — where 38 percent of all the gunfire took place, accounting for 1,053 incidents and 3,097 rounds. Additionally, 66 percent of the gunfire occurred on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Company officials touted a 24 percent reduction in gun violence overall in the pilot area between October and December, in comparison to the same time period in 2014.

Clark says ShotSpotter would never claim sole responsibility for gun violence reductions, but contends use of the service improves response, bolsters community confidence and leads to arrests and criminal prosecution.

Craig said he regards the technology as “one tool in the toolbox” that has been deployed to reduce crime near the 9th Precinct.

Overall, the 2,700-plus notifications have resulted in about 33 search warrants, 21 arrests and the recovery of 20 weapons, he said.

“You’ve got to ask when you look at those stats, how much has it reduced violent crime,” Craig said. “I’m not saying it’s not good technology. I’m just saying we want to get the best bang for our buck.”
    "21 arrests and the recovery of 20 weapons"? That's all? Lots of questions not sure of the answer.

I hear lots of gunfire on the far east side, night and day, near my 7 & Mack home, and it seems to have increased greatly in the past year. I suspect that's why I hear the DPD or State police helicopter spending so much time around there as well. That's a dismal area if I've ever seen one.

Name:  pp.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  154.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I hear lots of gunfire on the far east side, night and day, near my 7 & Mack home, and it seems to have increased greatly in the past year. I suspect that's why I hear the DPD or State police helicopter spending so much time around there as well. That's a dismal area if I've ever seen one.

Name:  pp.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  154.5 KB
    48205 was disproportionately hit the hardest when Engler lifted the residency requirement in 1998 [[that's around the point where things began to rapidly turn for the worst), as that's where the city workers lived.

That's not to mention the impacts of the real estate bubble [[that made it easier for middle class residents to buy homes in neighboring Eastpointe / Harper Woods / Warren) and Autopocalypse [[the east side has traditionally been mainly blue collar).
    Last edited by 313WX; February-25-16 at 11:42 AM.

Very dismal. I know a few people living the that area. One on Hayes which is grim from end to the other it seems. Gun shots constantly!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-25-16 at 12:59 PM.

7 Mile-Hayes is supposedly one of the worst intersections in MI.

This neighborhood, just 20 years ago, was still kinda stable, integrated and safe. Lots of German and Italian grannies lived around here until the 1990's, when they started passing on, or their kids in Macomb Twp. finally convinced them to sell.

Being born and raised in Detroit, living on the Eastside when I was younger, 7/Hayes area from 1968 to 1993 while raising kids, I can tell you that the area 48205 was going through a terrible transition in the 80's. There was nothing stable about it. Working for the DFD, I was held hostage by Detroit's residency requirements and had to endure the changing neighborhood. I didn't move like many others did. When residency went by the wayside, I was already retired and I applauded the change. My old house is still standing today, but the block is devastated beyond redemption. It's very sad to see.

^^^ I grew up a dyed-in-the-wool west sider but we had friends 'over on the east side' as we used to say. Visits to the Hayes and Kelly Rd area etc. always a grand time. The shops to explore, the homes architecture different then our neighborhood, and it was clean area [[circa 75 thru about 85), and well maintained. I noted change in the 90's and worse when I worked nearby later.

Another friend had a home free and clear of any mortgage off of Hayes and sadly they waited too, too late to sale, and only got 7K last year. But it was one of only a few occupied homes on the block, so any sale proceeds was better than nothing.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-25-16 at 07:08 PM.

does this system know if its hearing legal gunfire vs illegal gun fire? no? ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    does this system know if its hearing legal gunfire vs illegal gun fire? no? ok then.
    Legal gunfire? Do you mean while cops are shooting? I'm not sure how else one can have legal gunfire in that area.

The bulk of my younger years were spent in this area. Friends, relatives, etc. After decades I can finally relate to what my ma used to cry about 50 yrs. ago when she went past the house she was born in at Medbury & Frontenac.

What "legal gunfire"? You think there are big game hunting reserves on the East Side of Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    What "legal gunfire"? You think there are big game hunting reserves on the East Side of Detroit?
    Ya know, with zillions of blocks of vacant land on the east side, that could be part of an economic solution.

Lodges, restaurants, sporting good shops, employees......I can see it now.

There is no "legal gunfire" in the city limits. If you hear it, duck!

Hunting for quail perhaps. We have that scores of them in the D!

Yes! Quail, rabbits and the occasional possum - we have them east and west side! Oh my a veritable game reserve!

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Ya know, with zillions of blocks of vacant land on the east side, that could be part of an economic solution.

Lodges, restaurants, sporting good shops, employees......I can see it now.

7 Mile-Hayes is supposedly one of the worst intersections in MI.

This neighborhood, just 20 years ago, was still kinda stable, integrated and safe. Lots of German and Italian grannies lived around here until the 1990's, when they started passing on, or their kids in Macomb Twp. finally convinced them to sell.
    We just got my Aunt out of there a couple months ago. Lived at 7 & Kelly for 60 years, so it was hard to get her to move. But her block was bookend by drug houses and half the homes were burned out. The scrappers were slow rolling the block as we were moving her things out on moving day. Needless to say, I don't think the home stood very long after that.

You must live in Taylor.

Is there a consensus on the board here regarding the quality of the info provided by ShotSpotter that at least the gunfire statistics are being accurately compiled? With so few arrests and gun recoveries/investigations- how does one ever fact check ShotSpotter's performance data to come up with a cost to benefit ratio for any city? If they're running concurrent studies in other 3-sq mile sections elsewhere in the nation- I would love to see the comparison/contrast with other high-crime areas.

Quote Originally Posted by acer_ventura View Post
    Is there a consensus on the board here regarding the quality of the info provided by ShotSpotter that at least the gunfire statistics are being accurately compiled? With so few arrests and gun recoveries/investigations- how does one ever fact check ShotSpotter's performance data to come up with a cost to benefit ratio for any city? If they're running concurrent studies in other 3-sq mile sections elsewhere in the nation- I would love to see the comparison/contrast with other high-crime areas.
    Great questions. ShotSpotter is not a disinterested party. The more frightening the results, the more likely it is they'll induce the city to pay.

Is paying a good idea? I don't know. Certainly only if you can also fund the resources who can also respond to incidents and trends. Otherwise, they're just pretty pictures.

its more useful when used in conjunctions with camera surveillance....