Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default New parking garage next to Comerica Park sought

"The potential $28.7 million structure would be called Tiger Garage 2 and would have 900 parking spaces and possible ground floor retail. It will be designed for use by patrons of Comerica Park as well as the new hockey arena, Fox Theatre and St. Johns’ Episcopal Church, which is next to the future garage."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ught/80872534/

Gee, I wonder which will start construction 1st, the garage or the apts.?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Gee, I wonder which will start construction 1st, the garage or the apts.?

It would definitely make sense if they started construction on the garage sooner since they'll be removing the two lots in front of comerica and the lot next to the fox. This is definitely a good thing. I hope they build more structures so they can build on the other empty lots.

yup this garage has been shown in renderings already. nothing surprising... if they don't include ground floor retail i will be very upset

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    yup this garage has been shown in renderings already. nothing surprising... if they don't include ground floor retail i will be very upset
    I get why ground floor retail is impt. to any new garage but realistically, wedged between the back of a church, the stadium, another garage and I-75, what would be there except a souvenir shop that would only open on game days?

The garage there looks pretty puny. If you're going to build a garage big a gigantic one that could be used for eventual developments on Woodward and maybe some kind of park and ride type situation since it'd be close to an M1 stop and the freeway.

Privately funded, presumably? Hopefully...

I get why ground floor retail is impt. to any new garage but realistically, wedged between the back of a church, the stadium, another garage and I-75, what would be there except a souvenir shop that would only open on game days?

i agree it's not the greatest location... but when you think about it, it's literally a block off woodward.. with an m1 rail stop right next to it [[fox town)...

that plus the new apartments going in across the street on the comerica surface lots... a convenience store and maybe a delivery food spot would do wonders there

One more reason to cap 75 from Woodward to Brush. Hey, a guy can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    One more reason to cap 75 from Woodward to Brush. Hey, a guy can dream...
    You mean like this:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.56.06 PM.png
Views: 2101
Size:  239.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    i agree it's not the greatest location... but when you think about it, it's literally a block off woodward.. with an m1 rail stop right next to it [[fox town)...

that plus the new apartments going in across the street on the comerica surface lots... a convenience store and maybe a delivery food spot would do wonders there
    Retail is a funny thing. Its not valuable until it is. Then it can be really valuable. Requiring retail space on ground level is now I believe somewhat common in major cities. Seems like Portland started this requirement a million years ago, and has found that it changed the character of what would otherwise have been vast plaza of no purpose that are so common in urban America.

Jane Jacobs certain would be please.

I just noticed it will be called "Tiger Garage 2." I think "Tiger Garage 2 Detroit at Comerica Park" sounds better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The garage there looks pretty puny. If you're going to build a garage big a gigantic one that could be used for eventual developments on Woodward and maybe some kind of park and ride type situation since it'd be close to an M1 stop and the freeway.
    I think it's agreed by most urban planning types- and by my observation- that many smaller garages scattered around downtown ups foot traffic all over downtown. A giant "airport" style garage next to a stadium gets people to the game without any spillover to other businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Privately funded, presumably? Hopefully...
    I think the city's money is capped and limited directly to the arena [[and infrastructure) and not ancillary development like parking structures, etc.

As someone posted, this is not new. Nice that it is being announced and reported on, but it has always been a big cog, namely, get, as was mentioned, a parking structure to replace parking spaces lost to the new apartments.

The big question is retail and appearance. I've seen nice parking garages. I've seen... [[not too nice).

As has been discussed, there are reported plans for THREE new parking structures not counting that which is connected with the arena: 1). this one. 2). One at Henry and I believe Clifford, and 3). I guess rumored, not reported, one by Clifford and Montcalm.

Should be plenty of garage parking for baseball games or arena events.

I think the more important points are in the article and reflect the nature of development on this project.

"Details were unveiled Wednesday afternoon at the board meeting of the Downtown Development Authority, a unit of the city’s economic development agency."

"The property is controlled by the Detroit-Wayne County Stadium Authority, which owns Comerica Park. Approval from that authority could come as soon as Thursday. The project also would need approval from the City of Detroit."

When folks discuss the progress on this huge 1.2B project sometimes I think they believe the Ilitches can snap their fingers and make things happen.

They forget he is working with city, stadium authority, St. John's church, etc. Development never happens at warp-like speed.

There is a timeline of things which need to happen before the first shovel of dirt is turned. This is why I've always believed 2017, not 2016, is when things will really come together.

The approval today by the stadium authority is critical. I assume city approval should not be problematic.

As for retail in the parking garage, I know it would compete with Hockeytown, but how about something quick like a Subway shop? Folks could stop and eat for 20 minutes before the game.

My guess is that it could prove very successful as there would be plenty of workers in the Fox buildings, students at the school of business, etc. who would be very close.

I don't want to get off topic of the garage and retail, but somewhere in this area they need a CVS.

If there are going to be say 1K - 1,500 new housing units around Comerica, the new arena, Brush Park, etc. it would be nice if a CVS was built into the ground level of some structure.

Might sound tacky, but how about a CVS on the ground floor of an office building at Woodward/Fisher.

Lot of folks shop say once a week [[and can take M-1 to Whole Foods, if they wish) but folks like to go to a CVS [[or Walgreen or Rite Aid) for the daily necessities of life, pick up a prescription, buy tooth paste, get a newspaper, snacks, etc. Would also be good for workers, students, visitors in the area.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-25-16 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    As for retail in the parking garage, I know it would compete with Hockeytown, but how about something quick like a Subway shop? Folks could stop and eat for 20 minutes before the game.

My guess is that it could prove very successful as there would be plenty of workers in the Fox buildings, students at the school of business, etc. who would be very close.

I don't want to get off topic of the garage and retail, but somewhere in this area they need a CVS.

If there are going to be say 1K - 1,500 new housing units around Comerica, the new arena, Brush Park, etc. it would be nice if a CVS was built into the ground level of some structure.

Might sound tacky, but how about a CVS on the ground floor of an office building at Woodward/Fisher.

Lot of folks shop say once a week [[and can take M-1 to Whole Foods, if they wish) but folks like to go to a CVS [[or Walgreen or Rite Aid) for the daily necessities of life, pick up a prescription, buy tooth paste, get a newspaper, snacks, etc. Would also be good for workers, students, visitors in the area.
    You really think the Tigers want fans eating $5 subs before walking inside and paying 3 times as much? How many $5 Little Caesars pizzas are sold near the stadium?

I just noticed it will be called "Tiger Garage 2." I think "Tiger Garage 2 Detroit at Comerica Park" sounds better though.
    Na, they should have gone with something like "JACK Tiger Garage 2 @ Comerica Park Detroit Michigan"

You really think the Tigers want fans eating $5 subs before walking inside and paying 3 times as much? How many $5 Little Caesars pizzas are sold near the stadium?
    That is CERTAINLY true, but is the market limited to times when Comerica is open?

I see food inside Comerica, food at Hockeytown and food at say a Subway as being different niche food markets.

There are workers at the Fox buildings, there will be students at the Ilitch School of Business, there will be maybe 2 - 3K residents a 5 - 10 minute walk to that shop.

What do folks prefer to do before game time? If someone gets to the stadium at 6 do they meet up with friends at Subway? Or do they go to Hockeytown [[isn't the time tight for that?)?

At lunch time or between classes [[non-game days/game time) what will workers or students do? Will they go to Hockeytown? [[I doubt it) Go to Subway for a quick sandwich?

I think it is a NEW niche market for fast foods. There has been a huge market in this country for fast food lunch for workers, students, visitors, etc. for the last 50+ years.

Most would rather spend 25 minutes at a Subway than one hour at Hockeytown.

I'd think there is a real market for say a McDonalds [[or similar) say on Woodward north of Temple or Charlotte. Again, 'build it and they will come...'

This is all predicated on the notion that a vibrant 'new neighborhood' is being built around Comerica and the new arena and Brush Park and that neighborhood can support certain eateries and convenience stores such as CVS, etc.
    Last edited by emu steve; February-25-16 at 09:52 AM.

You really think the Tigers want fans eating $5 subs before walking inside and paying 3 times as much?...
    Subway is a huge, perennial sponsor of MLB. There probably could be some deal worked out that would involve some advertising if that came to be.

I like the drug store idea, but there is a CVS already located on Woodward between State & Campus Martius, about a half a mile away. I doubt CVS would locate a second store so close. Walgreens' may go in there though.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Subway is a huge, perennial sponsor of MLB. There probably could be some deal worked out that would involve some advertising if that came to be.

I like the drug store idea, but there is a CVS already located on Woodward between State & Campus Martius, about a half a mile away. I doubt CVS would locate a second store so close. Walgreens' may go in there though.
    In a dense, fully built out downtown, CVS puts its locations within as little as 400 ft. But I agree much more likely to see a competing chain in this area.

This is really good for Detroit assuming it all comes together - replace multiple surface lots with housing, parking structures, and retail on the bottom of one or both. Replicate that all over downtown and you increase businesses and residents without reducing parking.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post

Interesting if the customers who shop by Campus Martius are the ones who will shop north of the Fisher.

I think they are different 'populations'

One are the workers/visitors to the CBD.

The other are those who live/visit/go to school around Comerica/new arena.

The gist of my thoughts are that the Brush Park/Arena area is a new neighborhood and it needs to grow its own commercial activities.

I think that is what the Ilitches are thinking: don't simply put an arena or business school but develop a neighborhood which has the amenities visitors and residents need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    You mean like this:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 8.56.06 PM.png
Views: 2101
Size:  239.4 KB
    As long as we're dreaming, sure, that looks even better. But I think Woodward to Brush would be the easiest part since there are no ramps to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Requiring retail space on ground level is now I believe somewhat common in major cities.
    Not just major cities but many urban type areas. Some are pushing not just for first floor retail but skinning the entire street side of structures with mixed use development also.

Quote Originally Posted by AarunFast View Post
    possible ground floor retail.

Hahahahaha. How many times will you guys let Lucy pull the football away before you learn your lesson.

Possible means 'will not' in Ilitch speak

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast