Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: El Moore

Simple solution for the elevator shaft: cover it in ivy. I wouldn't be surprised if that's already planned.

It's near impossible for an elevator shaft not to look out of place on a 19th Century building. Ivy would not.

It's for good reason best practices suggest to place the shaft outside the historic building rather than to cut up the interior to coerce one inside. And to set it apart, differentiate it, and make it possible to remove without damaging the original structure.

A mural would likely be an even bigger distraction, look cheap, or both. And good thing they didn't try to replicate 19th Century craftsmanship. That almost never works out. Ends up in an uncanny valley at best.

Let's strive for perfection, but let's be realistic too. Some compromises are necessary, and this one was much better than nothing at all. I'm happy people who cannot walk up stairs can enjoy the building too.
    Last edited by bust; February-27-16 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Simple solution for the elevator shaft: cover it in ivy. I wouldn't be surprised if that's already planned....
    That's really a good idea. That would improve the whole thing.

Just for kicks I tried this crappy cut & paste to explore the mural idea:
    The perspective's way off.

Compare to SpartanDawg's post
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-27-16 at 11:25 PM.

Eh, it's an elevator shaft. It's hardly the ugliest thing added onto a building in this city.

Since we're talking about additions and subtractions, it seems worth noting that the small outbuilding to the left of the parking gate is new.

Time capsules are pretty boring without all the intervening years -- it's the accumulation of changes that makes history awesome.

It's near impossible for an elevator shaft not to look out of place on a 19th Century building.
    I agree, but a fairly successful example of this IMO is the Wyandotte city library. It's obvious that there's an addition, but I don't think the elevator shaft looks terribly odd or takes anything away from the rest of the building. It helps too that it's on the back of the house. Now, the 1960s addition that is connected to the house by the elevator shaft . . . that's unfortunate.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2076...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Simple solution for the elevator shaft: cover it in ivy. I wouldn't be surprised if that's already planned.
    My favorite Frank Lloyd Wright quote: "The physician can bury his mistakes,—but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines."

Okay. Cosmetically that elevator could have been done differently. But we live in a world where these creature comforts need to be installed to make them rentable. And in any case, an occupied El Moore is better than a 20 year old empty hulk.

Any pictures around before the rehab?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    ...Any pictures around before the rehab?
    El Moore Building Rehab in Midtown

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    My favorite Frank Lloyd Wright quote: "The physician can bury his mistakes,—but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines."
    Great quote!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2