Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit-World's 70th Best City!

We made the list!

I was perusing it to count how many of the 'best cities of the world' I'd visited...then contemplated another count of how many I'd slept overnight in versus merely driving [[or in Brussel's case, changing trains) through...when I was gobsmacked by seeing the city of my birth.

Number Seventy.

Tied with Hong Kong.

Then I kept reading to see which American city I could poke fun at...who we'd stomped on the way up this prestigious ladder. Unfortunately there are no other US cities listed...making us the worst of the best in the nation. <sigh>
    Last edited by Gannon; February-23-16 at 04:09 PM.

Ultra-boring cities like Zurich, Frankfurt and Duesseldorf are at the top, and no NYC, Paris, London, Rome? Ah, no. I'll take Florence over Auckland. I'll take Barcelona over Aberdeen.

These "best of" lists always favor boring white cities with anonymous feels and inoffensive reputations. It's always random cities in New Zealand and the like favored over global treasures like Venice.
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-23-16 at 04:49 PM.

list is a joke right?

I can't stand it when we Detroiters [[or anyone else) obsess over comparisons to other cities. It's mostly useless, and reeks of low self-esteem bordering on paranoia. Anything we do as a city or as businesses or organizations should be done because it's the right thing for us. We shouldn't build mass transit because other cities have it. We should build it because it is something we want. Where we fall on almost any list is irrelevant. We live here. We should make the city what we want it to be. What people in San Antonio or Vienna or Seattle or Rio or Tokyo do is up to them. We are not better or worse because of what they do. We're all free to move. I live and work in Detroit because I like it here. Are there things we can improve? Sure. But we shouldn't care too much what everyone else does. We're Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I can't stand it when we Detroiters [[or anyone else) obsess over comparisons to other cities. It's mostly useless, and reeks of low self-esteem bordering on paranoia. Anything we do as a city or as businesses or organizations should be done because it's the right thing for us. We shouldn't build mass transit because other cities have it. We should build it because it is something we want. Where we fall on almost any list is irrelevant. We live here. We should make the city what we want it to be. What people in San Antonio or Vienna or Seattle or Rio or Tokyo do is up to them. We are not better or worse because of what they do. We're all free to move. I live and work in Detroit because I like it here. Are there things we can improve? Sure. But we shouldn't care too much what everyone else does. We're Detroit.

So MikeyinBrooklyn...when did you move to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    2010. Also grew up and went to school here. Started posting here when I lived in NYC. Didnt change my handle since I was already posting as MikeyinBrooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDetroiter View Post
    Says the guy with the handle FORMERDetroiter

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Ultra-boring cities like Zurich, Frankfurt and Duesseldorf are at the top, and no NYC, Paris, London, Rome? Ah, no. I'll take Florence over Auckland. I'll take Barcelona over Aberdeen.

These "best of" lists always favor boring white cities with anonymous feels and inoffensive reputations. It's always random cities in New Zealand and the like favored over global treasures like Venice.
    Just wondering how many of the cities you list have you visited?

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    He doesn't need to visit them. He read the Wikipedia pages and scrolled through Google Maps.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Visited all, except Auckland. Lived in two [[NYC/Frankfurt). In fact visited all multiple times except was only in Aberdeen once [[and again, never in Auckland).

San Fran is always listed as the best American city; I was there two years ago and thought it was kind of gross. It certainly wouldn't be my pick for best American city.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    San Fran is always listed as the best American city; I was there two years ago and thought it was kind of gross. It certainly wouldn't be my pick for best American city.

Too many vagrants and poop on the streets, but IMO you can do a lot worse than SF. At the least it's one of America's best cities.