Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Police Elevator Inspection Team

Look out!, high-rise owners...there seems to be a new initiative by the Detroit Police Department, confirming the weight restrictions imposed by the Fire Department on elevators all over town. I don't know why those folks just cannot get along.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...otel/80805850/

3600 pounds of life-saving, peace-keeping, donut-loving flesh'll do it every time...since Dan Austin from the city press relations department thinks they average a couple hundred pounds apiece.

The Fire Department rushed to the scene, with their SmartPhones at the ready to capture the moment. Then they helped 'em up and out.

Mark that response time, though...this is the new standard.

“I’m talking minutes. Squad Two got on the scene and extricated them,” [[Executive Fire Commissioner Eric) Jones said. “They are well trained and we have a great team.”
    Stuck "just before one", firefolk arrive at 12:54 and have 'em all out in twelve minutes.

I wonder if this response is only for the 7.2?! Or do ya gotta wear blue?

This has been bothering me...while driving across town and back in rush hour...the only way this makes any sense is if all of these officers were exactly the same rank.

I mean...mathematically they'd have to cancel each other out with no-one to use as step-stool to reach the safety hatch in the ceiling. [[or are those only in Hollywood movies?!)

At least...either nobody out-ranked anyone, or at least wasn't pulling anything.
    Last edited by Gannon; February-23-16 at 08:34 PM.

What possible reason could there be for 16 cops to be on one elevator? But, why would the News address such a silly question in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    This has been bothering me...while driving across town and back in rush hour...the only way this makes any sense is if all of these officers were exactly the same rank.

I mean...mathematically they'd have to cancel each other out with no-one to use as step-stool to reach the safety hatch in the ceiling. [[or are those only in Hollywood movies?!)

At least...either nobody out-ranked anyone, or at least wasn't pulling anything.
    The hatches of course exist, but are never to be used by occupants.

If you are stuck in an elevator, you WAIT. Do not pry doors. Do not enter shafts. Do not climb out emergency hatch. Do not touch anything except your phone. WAIT. Inside the cab, doing nothing -- there's near zero risk to your life.

If you're stuck, and start having a heart attack, die. Do not ask anyone else to die to save you.

To the bigger point of overloaded elevators, its a valid concern. I've seen an elevator start sinking because it was overloaded with material. It was one of the most dangerous and frightening moments of my life. We were lucky nobody died.

A few years ago I had a chat with an insider in the elevator industry. He said that [[at that time) there were only two elevator inspectors working in the entire state of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    A few years ago I had a chat with an insider in the elevator industry. He said that [[at that time) there were only two elevator inspectors working in the entire state of Michigan.

No idea about State of Michigan inspectors -- but it doesn't matter here. The City of Detroit has opted out of Michigan's elevator licensing/inspection -- and have their own teams of inspectors just for the City of Detroit.

It makes no sense -- unless you realize that the goal is control of jobs -- not doing a good job.

Back about 1980 the DPD Lts. & Sgts. Association had their union offices in the Wurlitzer Building. We were always getting stuck in one of the two elevators; it was at least a monthly event. The building owner, Nick somebody or other, lived on the top floor. About 1982 he buzzed for the elevator, the doors opened, and he stepped in. Only there was no elevator there. The eight story drop didn't hurt him a bit, but the sudden stop at the bottom knocked the shit out of him. True story.

Ray, write that book!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Back about 1980 the DPD Lts. & Sgts. Association had their union offices in the Wurlitzer Building. We were always getting stuck in one of the two elevators; it was at least a monthly event. The building owner, Nick somebody or other, lived on the top floor. About 1982 he buzzed for the elevator, the doors opened, and he stepped in. Only there was no elevator there. The eight story drop didn't hurt him a bit, but the sudden stop at the bottom knocked the shit out of him. True story.
    One seldom sees Karma whiplashing so obviously...how soon were the elevators fixed after that?!

Devoid his excrement, can we assume he died?

Yes, Ray you have so many gem stories and memories. PM me about layout and details should you consider it!

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Ray, write that book!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    One seldom sees Karma whiplashing so obviously...how soon were the elevators fixed after that?!

Devoid his excrement, can we assume he died?

Well, his wife took over management of the building, and I would suppose those antique elevators were repaired to some degree. But the LSA moved out of the building shortly thereafter [[about 1981) and the fate of the structure lost interest to us, I suppose.

To answer the last question, oh yeah, he was killed instantly. I often wonder what his last thoughts were as he went from floor to floor. He was a nice guy, too. Darn shame.

Write that book!

[[Note however that elevator doors are opened BY the elevator cab, and the door lock is operated by the physical presence of the cab. They are however just machines, and are imperfect. But for doors to open by themselves is close to impossible. The inner elevator door opens the hallway door.)

I vaguely recall that reports had him jury-rigging the outer doors for some reason. Whatever, he did open the doors and the cab wasn't there. He wasn't a drinker, either, so rule that out.

I vaguely recall that reports had him jury-rigging the outer doors for some reason. Whatever, he did open the doors and the cab wasn't there. He wasn't a drinker, either, so rule that out.
    Drinking was my first thought. It was the 50s after all.

Kansas City, trying to steal our idea.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/n...-internet-gold

Yes, write the book, Ray. An acquaintance, a well known local musician, has written a book about his experiences as a 911 operator, available on Amazon: 911 In The 313, by Phil Hale. An interesting read!