Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Perseid meteor shower

If you're up now [[Tuesday night) head outside to see the Perseid meteor shower. Check out:

http://spaceweather.com/

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...rseids2009.htm

I have always considered it my birthday present.

How was it?
    I fell asleep. Enjoyed previous events, especially one night on the beach at the Pinery, about thirty years ago. There was a flurry of dozens of meteors at around 2:00 AM that exceeded expectations.
    They are usually less spectacular, but nice.

Well, happy birthday. It was a beautiful evening wasn't it? We have trouble stayiing awake that late, and around here, there is so much light pollution that celestial displays are somewhat muted. Hopefully tonight will be clear and we will get out somewhere it is a bit darker.

Gazhekwe: Thank you for the birthday greetings. Not so young anymore myself. Had good views in Dearborn Heights as a young man and good views in Northville Township as a relatively young father. Always a great birthday display.

Always enjoy the cosmic display.