Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Comcast 1 Gbps in Detroit?

According to this article Comcast plans to make 1 Gbps speeds available through DOCIS 3.1 devices later this year in Detroit. Comcast says they can deploy over existing infrastructure. Has anyone heard anything about this?

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...r.aspx?ref=yfp

It's Comcast. They're lying.

Quote Originally Posted by 7miledog View Post
    It's Comcast. They're lying.
    This guy gets it.

Comcast is so blistering fast right now, I just checked the speed = 91. Mbps. So the speed is going to increase X 10

I think 1 Gbps is neat, but totally unneeded. I'm in a cord-cut house and we survive on WOW's 30 Mbps service, and we only have DOCSIS 2.0, so we're only getting 25 Mbps. It's more than enough internet for 2+ simultaneous HD streams. I pay $25 a month.

And the reason[[s) they targeting their most expensive 1Gbps to the city of Detroit residents is......

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    And the reason[[s) they targeting their most expensive 1Gbps to the city of Detroit residents is......
    I was kind of wondering about that myself. I'm sure this service would come with a premium monthly recurring charge. If they're actually doing this, which seems unlikely given Comcast's aversion to customer service and truthfulness, it makes an interesting statement about how a major ISP views Detroit. I mentioned it partially because I'm moving back to the Detroit area this fall [[assuming I can find a realtor who'll respond to email) and was looking at providers. No, I don't need 1 Gbps but if it were available, reliable and affordable I 'd take it.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I think 1 Gbps is neat, but totally unneeded. I'm in a cord-cut house and we survive on WOW's 30 Mbps service, and we only have DOCSIS 2.0, so we're only getting 25 Mbps. It's more than enough internet for 2+ simultaneous HD streams. I pay $25 a month.

I apologize if this is threadjacking or if it's been mentioned in another thread, but I'm totally interested in cutting the cord. My bill just went up [[2 year promo ended) and 160 a month [[for me to watch baseball, hockey and HBO) is waaaaay too much. Suggestions? Again, apologies in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    I apologize if this is threadjacking or if it's been mentioned in another thread, but I'm totally interested in cutting the cord. My bill just went up [[2 year promo ended) and 160 a month [[for me to watch baseball, hockey and HBO) is waaaaay too much. Suggestions? Again, apologies in advance.
    Depends on where you live and which teams you want to watch. MLB.tv lets you watch baseball over the Internet, but it doesn't let you watch local market games, so if you live in SE Michigan and want to watch the Tigers you will be out of luck. But if you're just a general MLB fan or live elsewhere, it could work. It costs $110 annually as of right now.

Same applies to NHL.tv. Last I looked it cost $160/year but right now is showing the discounted "rest of the season" price of $50 so can't confirm.

HBO Now [[online subscription to HBO) is $15/month.

[[160+110) / 12 = $22.50 per month for sports. So with HBO, total "TV" bill for those three would be $37.50. Go with at least 10mb Internet [[~$40 per month) and you're looking at around $80 per month for everything.

Depending on how much other TV you want to watch, you can throw in a Netflix or Amazon Prime subscription for another $9-10 per month. Of course if you live around Detroit and are hoping to use this to watch the Tigers / Red Wings, you're out of luck. Just skip all the subscriptions and turn on your radio I guess.
    Last edited by Junjie; February-21-16 at 01:32 PM.

On topic, I was also struck when I saw this news. I wouldn't trust Comcast - indeed, I structure my own internet/media use around not subscribing to them - but it's good press. Between this and Rocket Fiber there should be some good high-speed internet options in the area.

Yep, if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of visual quality [[Roku and other streaming services can vary in quality of programs that stream there) and cobble a bit of Netflix, Hulu and antenna you can do well and save greatly. I am surprised how much some pay for comcast without really analyzing their true use. And in the Detroit market the packages seemed very high when I was a comcast subscriber.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-16 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Depends on where you live and which teams you want to watch. MLB.tv lets you watch baseball over the Internet, but it doesn't let you watch local market games, so if you live in SE Michigan and want to watch the Tigers you will be out of luck. But if you're just a general MLB fan or live elsewhere, it could work. It costs $110 annually as of right now.

Same applies to NHL.tv. Last I looked it cost $160/year but right now is showing the discounted "rest of the season" price of $50 so can't confirm.

HBO Now [[online subscription to HBO) is $15/month.

[[160+110) / 12 = $22.50 per month for sports. So with HBO, total "TV" bill for those three would be $37.50. Go with at least 10mb Internet [[~$40 per month) and you're looking at around $80 per month for everything.

Depending on how much other TV you want to watch, you can throw in a Netflix or Amazon Prime subscription for another $9-10 per month. Of course if you live around Detroit and are hoping to use this to watch the Tigers / Red Wings, you're out of luck. Just skip all the subscriptions and turn on your radio I guess.
    It's a bit of a legal grey area but you can use a VPN for both MLB.tv and NHL.tv to avoid blackouts. I use a VPN to avoid blackouts on both services just fine.

Basically between MLB.tv, NHL.tv, broadcast antenna and Netflix I'm covered for whatever I want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by samsonov View Post
    It's a bit of a legal grey area but you can use a VPN for both MLB.tv and NHL.tv to avoid blackouts. I use a VPN to avoid blackouts on both services just fine.

Basically between MLB.tv, NHL.tv, broadcast antenna and Netflix I'm covered for whatever I want to watch.
    I find it infuriating that they blackout the local games. I have heard from many people that they have no issues with blackouts when using VPN.

I used HockeyStreams.com this year, but I've had a lot of issues with it and won't be using it again. I may try NHL.tv + VPN next year.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I find it infuriating that they blackout the local games. I have heard from many people that they have no issues with blackouts when using VPN.

I used HockeyStreams.com this year, but I've had a lot of issues with it and won't be using it again. I may try NHL.tv + VPN next year.
    I used HockeyStreams for many years and it was great up until this year. Lots of issues and then they shut down abruptly about a month ago.

Keep in mind any games that play on NBC Sports are blacked out nationwide on NHL.tv so make sure to get a VPN with European servers too!

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Competition from LightSpeed and Rocket Fiber. Both are already available in select buildings in the CBD.

I’m coming up on one year at this current residence, I remarried Comcast a couple of months after I moved in, I’ve been a Cable man for years. I pay $130.00 per month – internet blast, X1 digital preferred cable and telephone. I’m a fairly light user; I can view billing details and there is no breakout of the $130.00, however, so far I have eaten up 18GB of bandwidth for the month. There is a cap of 250 GB per month – however the cap is currently lifted, and has been suspended for months now. The ultra-fast speeds will undoubtedly be pricey and added as a surcharge to whatever plan a person happens to be on. I’m certainly not paying any more money for anything at the moment.

From what I've read...

Its coming to Detroit as in the Detroit market so that means all the other cities in SE Michigan that have Comcast. This is not fiber, it is using docsis 3.1 on the cable modem. I have not seen a price anywhere on this service but if I had to guess it will be $150 but its just a guess. Exciting development for people into this stuff. For people who are using an antenna and eating dog food, then it won't mean much to them.

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    Competition from LightSpeed and Rocket Fiber. Both are already available in select buildings in the CBD.
    This guy gets it. Comcast is worried about Lightspeed, Rocket Fiber, and maybe even Google Fiber.