Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit and michigan auto insurance some comon sense

Finally some common sense, long overdue. Michigan auto insurance rates, the highest in the nation could be reduced with this proposal. I have never understood how people in this state blatantly take out auto insurance, then cancel right after just to get their plates. It should be illegal to underwrite policies less than six months, or if they are terminated early, it should be reported to police. If you infact move, there is no issue. Nor if you transfer to another company. This is a no brainer, never understood why no one proposed this earlier. We personally thought of this years ago.. You could never do that in many states or in Canada.
    Sorry, should read "common sense " on the title, cant seem to edit the title.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/n...iums-statewide
    Last edited by DetBill; February-19-16 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling.

Typical.

The state already socked it to Flint's poor citizens in an attempt to save a few bucks by poisoning their water supply, and now they want to punish the poor citizens in Flint and the rest of the state even further for choosing to put food on their table or a roof over their heads instead of paying for the ridiculously high rate of auto insurance.

Of course, tackling the actual root causes of the high insurance rates in the first place, such as the lack of a cap on claims for bodily injuries, the lack of a requirement to wear a motorcycle helmet, the lack of a cap on how much repair shops and hospitals charge accident victims or beefing up the punishment and enforcement for carjackings is probably too much like right.

[[and I won't even get into the fact that Michigan has a disproportionately large amount of people on the roads who should NOT be driving but have no choice but to drive due to the lack of reliable mass transit and some of the worst sprawl in the country).

The fact that so many people are uninsured is a symptom of having the highest car insurance rates in the country, not the other way around. So if you really want to see Detroit continue its rapid decline, the proposed bill will certainly be a major step in ensuring it happens.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-20-16 at 03:42 AM.

This bill is not a good idea. You want to force more people to get insurance they can't afford to lower insurance rates? I only see the insurance companies benefitting from this.

Fault was supposed to eliminate all the litigation. Tell that to the Bernsteins and Lee and now Call Mike. Not only are the rates obnoxious, so are all the attorney commercials that blast over and over during newscasts.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    This bill is not a good idea. You want to force more people to get insurance they can't afford to lower insurance rates? I only see the insurance companies benefitting from this.
    As for someone who works on the consumer end of the insurance industry in Michigan for 36 years [[and counting) I don't like that bill at all. The insurance company's are gouging Michigan residents on premiums because they are allowed to run roughshod by a republican governor, republican house and senate and republican supreme court. There is precious little bad faith penalties available to Michigan residents and that was gained during the Granholm administration. [[I didn't like her either)

As far as I'm concerned, and please pardon my French, Insurance Companies are the biggest whores on the planet. People shouldn't drive without insurance, and that bill would be just fine but let the Insurance company's lower premiums by 50% first.

Every day that an insurance company CEO or an insurance broker dies, an angel gets its wings. Frankly, the crackwhores on John R do more to earn their money than these vultures.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    ... The insurance company's are gouging Michigan residents on premiums because they are allowed to run roughshod by a republican governor, republican house and senate and republican supreme court....
    Inadvertent tax break for car insurers targeted for repeal
    House Appropriations Committee Chairman Al Pscholka, R-Stevensville, is pushing to fix a 2012 law so insurance companies no longer are eligible for certain tax credits they were given unintentionally....

Auto insurers are fighting attempts to reverse the tax credit in the GOP-controlled Legislature. Industry leaders, upset that insurers pay disproportionately higher business taxes compared with other sectors, concede it was handed out by mistake but warn drivers' premiums would go up....

But the switch meant insurers, who receive a tax credit against payments to the group, were credited for a quarter of $239 million in assigned claims paid out in 2015.
    "That was not the intent of the legislation," Pscholka said, noting that bill drafters, legislative fiscal analysts and Treasury officials did not notice the potential insurance windfall. "None of us caught it."...
    Accidental legislation. You can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-20-16 at 09:49 PM.

This is a Republican sponsored bill. Only the insurance companies will benefit. Rates will keep rising.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTrap View Post
    Every day that an insurance company CEO or an insurance broker dies, an angel gets its wings. Frankly, the crackwhores on John R do more to earn their money than these vultures.
    Lol. Piece of tail vs peace of mind. Which is worth more?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderTrap View Post
    Suppose we were to look at rates in other states [[with the same insurance companies). If Michigan's rates are out of whack, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Suppose we were to look at rates in other states [[with the same insurance companies). If Michigan's rates are out of whack, why?
    My home and auto quadrupled from Wi to Mi. same cars, same coverage - zero claims, zero tickets

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    My home and auto quadrupled from Wi to Mi. same cars, same coverage - zero claims, zero tickets

I guess that now is the time you will shuck the auto and ride home on a quadruped.

[QUOTE=Hermod;499776]Suppose we were to look at rates in other states [[with the same insurance companies). If Michigan's rates are out of whack, why?[/QUOTE

I moved to Albuquerque, NM 2 years ago. My insurance in Detroit with AAA was $950.00 every six months. I just renewed my policy in February for $350.00 every six months. Same company, same car, same policy. When I lived in Detroit I had to make monthly payments. For the first time I can actually pay the whole six months at once. Go Figure...

It's as simple as costs passed on to insurance companies are passed on to consumers:

*Recent increased liability for med claims before MCCA kicks in
    *Recent MI Supreme court ruling that the threshold established by the No-Fault laws to bring a lawsuit was unconstitutional [[See Joumana Kayrouz profile in the MT).
    *After the affordable care act, almost all Health insurance cos. have eliminated coverage for accident related injuries -- in Michigan -- passing the cost off to auto insurers
    *Higher than average disability claims in SE MI

The "inadvertant tax break," if revoked, will also be passed on to consumers. For kicks -- pick an address on the outskirts of Grand Rapids and have your agent quote a rate: Some companies are half as much, that side.

I don't understand the rationale to pass the info on the the police if you terminate your policy. What are they going to do? Ticket you for not having it at all? Yes, I can see task forces popping up funded by insurance companies where the funding is passed through grants to support this. What's the penalty? Get insurance within 14 days or get fined?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I don't understand the rationale to pass the info on the the police if you terminate your policy. What are they going to do? Ticket you for not having it at all? Yes, I can see task forces popping up funded by insurance companies where the funding is passed through grants to support this. What's the penalty? Get insurance within 14 days or get fined?
    In Quebec, an officer will.ask for proof.of insurance and fine you for not having it even for a routine stop. If you are not insured, you can be fined anywhere from 300 to 600$ and have your.permit taken away. If you are in an accident, and are responsible for 500$ or more, they will fine you from 300/to 2800$ and take your license away until you prove your settlement with the wronged party. I mean why is auto insurance so high in Michigan when all that has to be done is make sure all people pay?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    In Quebec, an officer will.ask for proof.of insurance and fine you for not having it even for a routine stop.
    Same is true here. However, it sounds to me like they can ticket you just based on the information without any kind of traffic stop involved.

Hey all...figure I'd try this here. I'm thinking of buying a loft in the city. Have a '04 Pontiac Vibe, 142,000 miles, clean driving record. Loft would include a secure parking spot.

Any remote idea how much I'd be paying in car insurance? Rough estimate?

I'm struggling with the notion that car insurance might literally be the only reason I can't buy in the city and may have to target some 'burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Hey all...figure I'd try this here. I'm thinking of buying a loft in the city. Have a '04 Pontiac Vibe, 142,000 miles, clean driving record. Loft would include a secure parking spot.

Any remote idea how much I'd be paying in car insurance? Rough estimate?

I'm struggling with the notion that car insurance might literally be the only reason I can't buy in the city and may have to target some 'burbs.
    If you are living in the greater downtown area, rumor has it that Costco has insurance rates for Detroit residence that rival those in the suburbs.

I live near downtown Detroit, have full coverage on a 2006 model SUV and pay $560 for six months with Progressive. I hardly consider car insurance a barrier to entry for Detroit living.

There's an old saying - there are 100 factors that go into your insurance quote. 97 of them deal with your credit score. If you have good/great credit - you'll do just as fine as when I lived in RO. If you have bad credit - you'll be SOL but that's the case anywhere.

Fault was supposed to eliminate all the litigation. Tell that to the Bernsteins and Lee and now Call Mike. Not only are the rates obnoxious, so are all the attorney commercials that blast over and over during newscasts.
    The attorney ads should be required to state that the attorneys get 1/3 of the huge awards they are always touting.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I live near downtown Detroit, have full coverage on a 2006 model SUV and pay $560 for six months with Progressive. I hardly consider car insurance a barrier to entry for Detroit living.

There's an old saying - there are 100 factors that go into your insurance quote. 97 of them deal with your credit score. If you have good/great credit - you'll do just as fine as when I lived in RO. If you have bad credit - you'll be SOL but that's the case anywhere.
    That sounds like a decent premium considering this is the State of Michigan. Nothing to write home about but it's workable. In addition, I like Flo, she's quirky and cute.