Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fair Use and Youtube

Love him or Lump him-The Nostalgia Critic launched a video on Youtube a few days ago that blew up big.

There is no yelling or theatrical histrionics-he seems quiet dead serious and thorough. My brother [[a Youtube junkie) drew my attention to this. I do believe in "Edu-tainment" that is fun and instructive [[or "culture-jamming" which I like for different purposes-mostly because it provides a slice of sanity that goes against a formidable grain of hype). Then there is parody-if made illegal, would put things like SNL in jeopardy.

It all reminds me of legal issues that arose where record companies outrageously sued poor families [[one in Minnesota if I'm not mistaken did about 2 dozen downloads) for downloading just one pirated song. It also is similar to the issues of copyright as it applied to sampling [[there were weird debates at my Lutheran School over 2Livecrew).

Any thoughts?

P.S.-The guy has great videos, but don't [[repeat-DON'T) watch the animated Titanic he rips apart or the "Star Wars Christmas Special"-I'm sure he would've preferred all carbon-based lifeforms save their sanity points by avoiding those stinkers [[should've laid off the drugs and accepted Danny's marriage proposal, Carrie-but hey, nobody's perfectName:  Blues-Brothers-mystery-woman-11[1].jpg
Views: 573
Size:  50.1 KB).

He's right. It was under the radar, and I frickin' missed it. Dang.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoIL5qUI1p8

Once again, an update:

I have to agree with Doug here, there is truth to the position that even a parodied reference to some obscure work will make someone go out and scope out that forgotten work [[heck, I didn't understand the "playing ping pong without a paddle" reference that South Park and King of the Hill used, but-eh, now that I think about it, I wasn't too inspired when I found the source, so...okay maybe that wasn't the best example, so forget that, but..uh, anyway, regardless...).

“the doctrine that brief excerpts of copyright material may, under certain circumstances, be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder”.
    In his video he states that people are doing this for a living – that they are making money off of another person’s work. That is probably where they are getting in trouble.
    I have had several, maybe more, instances where I have had a song in a YouTube playlist, and after a bit of time I notice a song, or two, has been deleted from the playlist. Vevo comes to mind, as they seem to be the big boy on my playlist for older songs. Vevo has their own channel, and would like to receive credit when I listen to songs that come under their copyright claim. So taking income from someone works both way – individual or large corporation. I’ve also noticed older television shows that user have added to their channels being deleted. I see many channels stating “no copyright infringement intended” or something like that, these people are aware they are walking a fine line.
    I was a partner in a nightclub ~ 15 years ago; one day a gentleman walked in and stated he was an RIAA employee. He was in town for several days to collect monies due for playing copyrighted materials from various businesses in the city. The club played live music 7 nights a week, however, between sets, we would pop in a CD. And RIAA wanted compensation for playing copyrighted material in a commercial setting. Speaking with the partners I was informed that RIAA had come into town several times prior to this, collected it checks, and moved on to the next town. Side-note, one of the partners was a musician, and he received RIAA checks, which were delivered to the club – they were several thousand dollars.
    Comcast is my cable provider; I have no complaints, the service has worked continuously since I’ve had it, and the bill is reasonable for the services I have. Lo and behold one day I get an email from them stating I have violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act [[DMCA). I occasionally download movies using Bit-Torrent. The email contained specific information as to which movie I downloaded [[Black Mass), the time and date. Comcast gives 4 warnings, then "mitigation measures" begin; a popup would appear in my browser, and I would be required to call in and discuss my account. I have the one and only warning.
    So yea, everyone wants to get paid, and I get reminded of it from time to time.
    Last edited by SDCC; May-04-16 at 06:14 AM.