Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Paging Gazhekwe

Default New World Native Discovers Old World 500 years before Columbus

First American in Europe 'was native woman kidnapped by Vikings and hauled back to Iceland 1,000 years ago'

By Niall Firth
    Last updated at 7:47 PM on 17th November 2010

A native woman kidnapped by the Vikings may have been the first American to arrive in Europe around 1,000 years ago, according to a startling new study.

The discovery of a gene found in just 80 Icelanders links them with early Americans who may have been brought back to Iceland by Viking raiders. The discovery means that the female slave was in Europe five centuries before Christopher Columbus first paraded American Indians through the streets in Spain after his epic voyage of discovery in 1492.

The genes that the woman left behind have now been discovered in the DNA of just four distinct family lines.

Replicas of Viking sod houses at L'Anse Aux Meadows on the northern tip of Newfoundland. The area holds the earliest evidence of Viking raiders arriving in the Americas

Any early suggestion that the genes were from Asia were ruled out after it was worked out that they had been present in Iceland since at least the 18th century – long before Asian genes appeared in Icelanders. The team found that the genes they studied can be traced to common ancestors in the south of Iceland, near the Vatnajˆkull glacier, in around 1710.

It has long been thought that Viking raiders arrived in the Americas centuries before Columbus ever arrived in the Caribbean. Norse epic sagas such as ‘Erik the Red’, talk of early Scandavian settlers discovering lush new lands, with a temperate climate and abundant crops – now believed to be parts of northern Canada.

A Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows, in the eastern Canadian region of Newfoundland, is thought to date to the 11th century. Other such settlements are found in Greenland, which Viking navigators reached from Iceland.

Because Iceland was isolated from the rest of the world from the 11th century onwards scientists speculate that the woman must have been taken from the Americas sometime around the year 1000.

The DNA lineage, named C1e, is mitochondrial – which means that the genes were introduced by a woman.

The unknown American woman was probably abducted from the Americas and then brought to Iceland after surviving the sea voyage back. She then bore children in her new home but nothing was ever written of her existence or fate.

The study will be published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology. ...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz15gcL6Sz4

A native woman kidnapped by the Vikings may have been the first American to arrive in Europe around 1,000 years ago, according to a startling new study.

Wow, that is interesting.

Isn't it? I love stories of world travel before the accepted story of Columbus. There are lots of other examples.

For instance, there are pictures of red men bearing copper in Egyptian tomb paintings. The story of copper in biblical times is fascinating. The largest deposits of copper are in the New World, with Lake Superior being the motherlode. It is a key ingredient in the alloy Bronze. Therefore, much copper was needed to foster the Bronze Age, 3500-1200 BC. The Phoenicians took early to the sea, partly in response to the demand for copper. The Phoenicians spoke of a large island across the ocean whose people were red-skinned with hair like horses.

This piece consolidates some of the theories and is very interesting reading:

http://www.uhcg.org/Lost-10-Tribes/walt3b-Phonecia.html

Egyptian paintings depicted the four races, white, black, red and yellow. Some scholars indicate the Egyptians considered themselves red. I can't located the actual picture I remember seeing of a particular group of people including four red men bearing gifts. Some feel that it depicts New World natives who traveled with the Phoenicians. I will keep looking.

Another interesting fact I found while looking at this is some Phoenician petroglyphs contain images of a man with a big hand. He with the hand seemed to be a legendary figure, credited with bringing Aphrodite to Crete. There was a matching image of a man with a hand on the picture rock that we saw in Moab a couple weeks ago. I was struck by the similarity of the pictures. I am sure scholars could have a field day with that as well.

I'll try to post both images later.

Default All I can say is, Finally, but Now What?

Senate approved settlement in Cobell v Salazar[[Interior/BIA), filed in 1996, and Pigford v Glickman [[USDA), filed in 1997

Friday, November 19, 2010; 9:42 PM

After months of hang-ups, the Senate unanimously approved Friday two multibillion-dollar settlements that will rectify long-standing claims against the federal government for discrimination and mismanagement.
    The vote essentially brings closure to the two cases, which have each been litigated for more than a decade.

The House, which has twice endorsed the deals, must still do so one more time, an action that is expected after Thanksgiving. Senate approval, however, has been a huge hurdle for Native Americans, who sued the government over poorly handled individual Indians' trust accounts, and black farmers, who were for years unfairly refused loans by the Agriculture Department.

"Black farmers and Native American trust account holders have had to wait a long time for justice, but now it will finally be served," Senate Majority Leader Harry M. Reid [[D-Nev.) said in a statement after the vote. "I am heartened that Democrats and Republicans were able to come together to deliver the settlement that these men and women deserve for the discrimination and mismanagement they faced in the past."

Native Americans involved in the land trust lawsuit will get access to a $3.4 billion fund. Black farmers who are a part of a class-action lawsuit against the USDA will receive a $1.15 billion settlement.
    "It's long, long overdue," said John Boyd, president of the National Black Farmers Association. "Many farmers have died waiting for justice. Hopefully, we can get this money to those who are living."

Boyd's group has lobbied for years, even staging tractor protests on Capitol Hill, to get Congress to fund the settlement, which is expected to resolve the claims of tens of thousands of black farmers.

The Native American land trust case, whose lead plaintiff is Elouise Cobell, resolves complaints by 300,000 Native Americans who found that the government had grossly mismanaged royalty payments for natural resources mined on tribal lands. The case wound through hundreds of motions, seven trials, dozens of rulings and appeals before a settlement was reached in December.

Cobell's lawyer, Dennis M. Gingold, praised Republicans and Democrats for working together to approve the deal. "No one would have expected this could have been done," Gingold said. "In this environment, with the difficult elections we just had, most people would have thought this would have been impossible."

The Obama administration has put a focus on settling such civil rights issues. Last month, Native American farmers reached a separate settlement with the government over USDA discrimination claims. Hispanic farms and women farmers, who have similar claims, are still in negotiations with the Justice Department and USDA officials.

USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack called Friday's Senate vote "a major milestone in USDA's efforts to turn the page on a sad chapter in our history. . . . President Obama and I pledged not only to treat all farmers fairly and equally, but to right the wrongs of the past for farmers who faced discrimination."

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, whose department had been mired in the trust litigation, said the vote was another step toward bringing resolution to the highly contentious land trust lawsuit. "The progress we have made over the last two years in reaching critical Indian country settlements is unprecedented," he said.

The White House issued a statement urging the House to also pass legislation funding the settlements, and President Obama said he looks forward to signing them into law.

"While these legislative achievements reflect important progress, they also serve to remind us that much work remains to be done," Obama said. "That is why my administration also continues to work to resolve claims of past discrimination made by women and Hispanic farmers against the USDA."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111906499.html

Default Additional details in Cobell case

The legislation also includes a one-year extension of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, which gives grants to states to provide cash and other assistance to the poor, and several American Indian water rights settlements in Arizona, Montana and New Mexico sought by Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz.
    In the Indian case, which has been in the courts for almost 15 years, at least 300,000 Native Americans claim they were swindled out of royalties overseen by the Interior Department since 1887 for things like oil, gas, grazing and timber. The plaintiffs would share the settlement.
    Cobell was confident about passage in the House, where the two settlements already have passed twice as part of larger pieces of legislation.

gazhekwe - I'm not sure if you can answer this, but I have a Canadian related question for you. ANNNND I don't know all the details.....so, this should be next to impossible lol

My wife is 1/2 Iroquois [[Oneida Nation of the Thames....I beleive) on her mothers side. Her mother was put up for adoption as a baby, yadda yadda yadda. Her mother and grandfather have met and all that, but had some form of falling out. Now, my wife cannot get her status card because her grandfather refuses to sign some papers [[Canadian Indian Act?) acknowledging her Native genes, so to speak. I imagine you have something similar in the States? Where you don't have to pay certain taxes and all that?

My question is.....in the event that he dies and has yet to sign these forms, is that it? How can she gain her status if he doesn't sign these? I don't even think he has done it for her mother so she can't do it either. She doesn't want it done to save on taxes...she just wants her heritage reckognized by the Band

Does this make sense? If it doesn't I'll have my wife write it down so I can give you helpful info instead of jibber-jabber

Thanks!

If he has the power to sign papers acknowledging her , then the tribe must know him or know of him on record . Maybe if you contact the council , they could enlighten you , and maybe even contact him about it .

http://www.oneida.on.ca/

Thanks Wingnatic, I'll give that a try.

I hope it works out for your wife and she gets the info . If I understand this correctly , your wife's mother was adopted out , and the grandfather is the father of your wife's mother . If this is correct , maybe your wife's mother could get ahold of the adoption papers / birth certificate naming the grandfather as her dad . Next step would be a birth certificate of your wife with the mother on it .

Good luck and keep us up to date .

p.s. I think its great that your wife wants to be considered as part of the First Nation !

Thanks Wingnatic! You got all the info right. I know her mom has been fighting this for a long time, but I wonder if she ever tried the adoption paper/ birth certificate thing yet.
    I'll have to find out, but I'll for sure keep you updated!

Thanks again!

Here in the US, it depends either upon the tribal acknowledgment OR the BIA acknowledgement. If one can prove their ancestry, one gets approved. That would entail such items as Wing suggested, Family tree, birth record, adoption record. So, if the adopted mother has or can get her original birth certificate stating who her parents were, and either or both are on the tribal role, then she would be in, stateside. I understand there can be emotional issues that might cause a tribe to fail to enroll, but in the US the BIA will provide ID if it is proven by the individual with documentation. In Canada, it has to be the father, so in this case, the wife might have a problem even if the mother was recognized. Again, it does depend on the tribe.

Sadly, things have changed in the 400 or so years since white contact. In the past, the Six Nations were matrilineal, so the line would go down the mother's side. The Jesuits influenced a switch to patrilineal lines, so now the Canadian government has that same idea. That is where the Metis came from, mixed blood, Indian on the mothers' side, no recognition of Indian status by the Canadian government as far as land or tribal claims go There were a number of treaties influencing recognition as Indian by the Canadian government as well. It can get very confusing. The best thing to do is to call the membership clerk and ask her what is needed, and if children of an Oneida woman and a white man can be enrolled if they prove ancestry.

Finally, to clear up a common misconception, in the US, we pay all taxes, unless we live and work on a reservation, in which case we are exempt from state income tax, and from state sales tax for items purchased on the reservation only.

We urban Indians pay every kind of tax there is, state, federal, county, city, property, sales, gas, cigarette, excise and all that. All American Indians have dual citizenship in their tribe and the US, and are responsible for all the things as other US citizens.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; November-21-10 at 02:23 PM.

Default Seattle followup

Native American leaders call for probe into shooting death

Calling the fatal shooting of a First Nations carver by a Seattle police officer unjustified, Native American and Canadian First Nations leaders gathered at a news conference Friday to demand a full investigation into the shooting death, as well as changes in the department.
    By Lynda V. Mapes
    Seattle Times staff reporter

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...lliams04m.html

I've been following this. There were several witnesses, none of whom saw Williams make any threatening moves. The officer insists he was in fear for his life.

Thanks for the great info gazhekwe! As far as taxes go, I'm pretty certain it's the same here as well. I'm pretty sure even on a reservation there all kinds of hoops to jump thru.

Thanks again!

Default Petroglyphs--Big Hand Guy--Phoenecian version

This image is from an article about Phoenician trade. I believe it is actually Ugarit. These Canaanites were the precursors to the Phoenicians. In the article the author talks about the Hand, and gestures by the hand, and traces the Hand to the Phoenicians as a trade symbol dating at least back to 1159 BC. He says the Hand is found in carvings as far north as Scandinavia, so postulates that the Phoenicians made it to that area and were trading with the people of that region. It's all based on the idea that such an image has just one origin and one meaning, a bit heavy on theory without a lot of substance.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.an...an/0cadmus.htm

Default Big Hand Guy -- Utah petroglyph version

This is the big rock we saw off Kane Creek in Moab, Utah. The rock had petroglyphs on all four sides. The Big Hand Guy is the leftmost image.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; November-23-10 at 10:54 PM.

Default Thanksgiving -- Longhouse People's Prayer

GREETINGS TO THE NATURAL WORLD!

The People
    Today we have gathered and we see that the cycles of life continue. We have been given the duty to live in balance and harmony with each other and all living things.

So now, we bring our minds together as one as we give greetings and thanks to each other as People.

Now our minds are one.

The Earth Mother
    We are all thankful to our Mother, the Earth, for she gives us all that we need for life. She supports our feet as we walk about upon her. It gives us joy that she continues to care for us as she has from the beginning of time.

To our Mother, we send greetings and thanks.

Now our minds are one.

The Waters
    We give thanks to all the Waters of the world for quenching our thirst and providing us with strength. Water is life. We know its power in many forms - waterfalls and rain, mists and streams, rivers and oceans.

With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to the spirit of water.

Now our minds are one.

The Fish
    We turn our minds to all the Fish life in the water. They were instructed to cleanse and purify the water. They also give themselves to us as food. We are grateful that we can still find pure water.

So, we turn now to the Fish and send our greetings and thanks.

Now our minds are one.

The Plants
    Now we turn toward the vast fields of Plant life. As far as the eye can see, the Plants grow, working many wonders. They sustain many life forms.

With our minds gathered together, we give thanks and look forward to seeing Plant life for many generations to come.

Now our minds are one.

The Food Plants
    With one mind, we turn to honor and thank all the Food Plants we harvest from the garden. Since the beginning of time, the grains, vegetables, beans and berries have helped the people survive. Many other living things draw strength from them too.

We gather all the Plant Foods together as one and send them a greeting and thanks.

Now our minds are one.

The Medicine Herbs
    Now we turn to all the Medicine herbs of the world. From the beginning, they were instructed to take away sickness. They are always waiting and ready to heal us. We are happy there are still among us those special few who remember how to use these plants for healing.

With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to the Medicines and to the keepers of the Medicines.

Now our minds are one.

The Animals
    We gather our minds together to send greetings and thanks to all the Animal life in the world. They have many things to teach us as people. We see them near our homes and in the deep forests.

We are glad they are still here and we hope that it will always be so.

Now our minds are one.

The Trees
    We now turn our thoughts to the Trees. The Earth has many families of Trees who have their own instructions and uses. Some provide us with shelter and shade, others with fruit, beauty and other useful things. Many peoples of the world use a Tree as a symbol of peace and strength.

With one mind, we greet and thank the Tree life.

Now our minds are one.

The Birds
    We put our minds together as one and thank all the Birds who move and fly about over our heads. The Creator gave them beautiful songs. Each day they remind us to enjoy and appreciate life. The Eagle was chosen to be their leader.

To all the Birds - from the smallest to the largest - we send our joyful greetings and thanks.

Now our minds are one.

The Four Winds
    We are all thankful to the powers we know as the Four Winds. We hear their voices in the moving air as they refresh us and purify the air we breathe. They help to bring the change of seasons. From the four directions they come, bringing us messages and giving us strength.

With one mind, we send our greetings and thanks to the Four Winds.

Now our minds are one.

The Thunderers
    Now we turn to the west where our Grandfathers, the Thunder Beings, live. With lightning and thundering voices, they bring with them the water that renews life.

We bring our minds together as one to send greetings and thanks to our Grandfathers, the Thunderers.

Now our minds are one.

The Sun
    We now send greetings and thanks to our eldest Brother, the Sun. Each day without fail he travels the sky from east to west, bringing the light of a new day. He is the source of all the fires of life.

With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to our Brother, the Sun.

Now our minds are one.

Grandmother Moon
    We put our minds together and give thanks to our oldest grandmother, the Moon, who lights the night-time sky. She is the leader of women all over the world, and she governs the movement of the ocean tides. By her changing face we measure time, and it is the Moon who watches over the arrival of children here on Earth.

With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to our Grandmother, the Moon.

Now our minds are one.

The Stars
    We give thanks to the Stars who are spread across the sky like jewelry. We see them in the night, helping the Moon to light the darkness and bringing dew to the gardens and growing things. When we travel at night, they guide us home.

With our minds gathered together as one, we send greetings and thanks to all the Stars.

Now our minds are one.

The Enlightened Teachers
    We gather our minds to greet and thank the enlightened Teachers who have come to help throughout the ages. When we forget how to live in harmony, they remind us of the way we were instructed to live as people.

With one mind, we send greetings and thanks to these caring Teachers.

Now our minds are one.

The Creator
    Now we turn our thoughts to the Creator, or Great Spirit, and send greetings and thanks for the gifts of Creation. Everything we need to live a good life is here on this Mother Earth.

For all the love that is still around us, we gather our minds together as one and send our choicest words of greetings and thanks to the Creator.

Now our minds are one.

Closing Words
    We have now arrived at the place where we end our words. Of all the things we have named, it was not our intention to leave anything out.

If something was forgotten, we leave it to each individual to send such greetings and thanks in their own way.

Now our minds are one.

Default Direction for the Future, while our minds are one

Elder's Meditation of the Day November 25

"People and nations who understand the Natural Law are self-governing, following the principles of love and respect that insure freedom and peace."
    --Traditional Circle of Elders, NAVAJO-HOPI Joint Use Area

The Natural Laws work hand-in-hand with the circle. Each part of a circle will look to the center and will see something different. For example, if you put an irregular shaped object in the center of a circle and you have people standing in a circle around the object, each one will describe it differently. Everyone in the circle will be right. Only by honoring and respecting everyone's input, can the truth about the object be revealed. We need to learn to honor differences.

My Creator, let me honor all differences.

www.WhiteBison.org

Default Native American Fall Festival this weekend

Native American Fall Festival.

Experience the sounds of invited drums, storytelling; powwow dancing, life size displays, craft demonstration; and the tastes of traditional native foods.
    • Location: Gibraltar Trade Center Taylor Eureka Rd & I-75 Taylor , MI 48180
    • Date & Time: 11/27 & 11/28 10am-8pm Saturday and Sunday

Default Something for the start of the winter season -- time for Reflection

Winter is the time for reflection, thinking over what has passed and planning for the future. Here are some ethical guidelines to review the past and plan for the future:

Native American Code of Ethics

Rise with the sun to pray. Pray often. The Great Spirit will listen, if you only speak.

Be tolerant of those who are lost on their path. Ignorance, conceit, anger, jealousy and greed stem from a lost soul. Pray that they will find guidance.

Search for yourself, by yourself. Do not allow others to make your path for you. It is your road, and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.

Treat the guests in your home with much consideration. Serve them the best food, give them the best bed and treat them with respect and honor.

Do not take what is not yours whether from a person, a community, the wilderness or from a culture. It was not earned nor given. It is not yours.

Respect all things that are placed upon this earth—whether it be people, animal or plant. Honor the Spirit in all things.

Honor other people’s thoughts, wishes and words. Never interrupt another or mock or rudely mimic them. Allow each person the right to personal expression.

Never speak of others in a bad way. The negative energy that you put out into the universe will multiply when it returns to you. All persons make mistakes. And all mistakes can be forgiven. Bad thoughts cause illness of the mind, body and spirit. Practice optimism.

Nature is not for us, it is a part of us. They are part of your worldly family.

Children are the seeds of our future. Plant love in their hearts and water them with wisdom and life’s lessons. When they are grown, give them space to grow.

Avoid hurting the hearts of others. The poison of your pain will return to you.

Be truthful at all times. Honesty is the test of ones will within this universe.

Keep yourself balanced. Your mental self, spiritual self, emotional self, and physical self—all need to be strong, pure and healthy. Work out the body to strengthen the mind. Grow rich in spirit to cure emotional ails.

Make conscious decisions as to who you will be and how you will react. Be responsible for your own actions.

Respect the privacy and personal space of others. Do not touch the personal property of others—especially sacred and religious objects. This is forbidden.

Be true to yourself first. You cannot nurture and help others if you cannot nurture and help yourself first.

Respect others' religious beliefs. Do not force your belief on others.

Share your good fortune with others. Participate in charity. Be willing to give back to the people, so that People will live.

© The Good Red Road
    The Turquoise Butterfly Press
    Last edited by gazhekwe; November-30-10 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Adding more considerations

Default NPR Interview about Black Indians

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=131696685

Excerpt:

...MARTIN: So, Mr. Katz, will you start with us and just tell us how the relationship between African-Americans and Native Americans began?
    Mr. KATZ: Well, it began with the earliest colonial period. Soon after Columbus arrived, Africans were brought in. And so you have a pattern of Native Americans taking in African-Americans and the two people mixing and forming a kind of united front against the forces that were bringing slavery and colonialism to the Americas. So this has a long, long history.
    MARTIN: Is this a history that is generally acknowledged by the tribes?
    Mr. KATZ: Well, I think some of them do, certainly along the East Coast, where the African-American members are prominent. And they played a very central role among the Seminole Nation. The Africans were among the leaders of it and took part in the 42-year war the Seminoles waged against the United States government and the slave catchers.
    MARTIN: And forgive me, Mr. Katz, is it also true, though, that there were tribes who owned slaves?
    Mr. KATZ: Absolutely true, including the five so-called civilized nations. But I have to explain, it wasn't the kind of slavery that we associate with the plantations of the South. And people could get married, they could eat at the same table. People could get free and they were treated nicely. And we know this in the testimony, they would much rather have had Native Americans to be their masters than the white slave owners of the South.
    MARTIN: Well, that's a tough call, isn't it, who you'd want to own you? But be that as it may, Shonda, you wrote a piece for Indian country today about your experience of being a black Indian at a Chickahominy Pow-Wow. Tell us a little bit about it. It was not a good experience.....

Gaz note: Crispus Attucks, the first person killed in the Revolutionary War, Boston Massacre, was of mixed African and Naragansett blood. His mother was Wampanoag, his father was African. Some say he was a fugitive slave, and that both his parents were also slaves on a plantation in Framingham, Mass.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-01-10 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Adding info about Crispus Attucks

Default Thoughts on the Myth of the First Thanksgiving

Or, why do Euro-Americans think history began with them and what is written is an accurate reflection of the events?

http://www.oyate.org/index.php?optio...=129&Itemid=69

Excerpt:

Deconstructing the Myths of "The First Thanksgiving"

by Judy Dow [[Abenaki) and Beverly Slapin
    Revised 06/12/06

What is it about the story of "The First Thanksgiving" that makes it essential to be taught in virtually every grade from preschool through high school? What is it about the story that is so seductive? Why has it become an annual elementary school tradition to hold Thanksgiving pageants, with young children dressing up in paper-bag costumes and feather-duster headdresses and marching around the schoolyard? Why is it seen as necessary for fake "pilgrims" and fake "Indians" [[portrayed by real children, many of whom are Indian) to sit down every year to a fake feast, acting out fake scenarios and reciting fake dialogue about friendship? And why do teachers all over the country continue [[for the most part, unknowingly) to perpetuate this myth year after year after year?

Myth #1: "The First Thanksgiving" occurred in 1621.
    Fact: No one knows when the "first" thanksgiving occurred. People have been giving thanks for as long as people have existed. Indigenous nations all over the world have celebrations of the harvest that come from very old traditions; for Native peoples, thanksgiving comes not once a year, but every day, for all the gifts of life. To refer to the harvest feast of 1621 as "The First Thanksgiving" disappears Indian peoples in the eyes of non-Native children.

Myth #2: The people who came across the ocean on the Mayflower were called Pilgrims.
    Fact: The Plimoth settlers did not refer to themselves as "Pilgrims." Pilgrims are people who travel for religious reasons, such as Muslims who make a pilgrimage to Mecca. Most of those who arrived here from England were religious dissidents who had broken away from the Church of England. They called themselves "Saints"; others called them "Separatists." Some of the settlers were "Puritans," dissidents but not separatists who wanted to "purify" the Church. It wasn't until around the time of the American Revolution that the name "Pilgrims" came to be associated with the Plimoth settlers, and the "Pilgrims" became the symbol of American morality and Christian faith, fortitude, and family. [[1)

Default Grammy nomination!! Bear Creek Singers of the Mighty Soo

These guys are wicked wonderful! Singing a contest song at Bay Mills this past summer. Nomination is for their new CD Bear Creek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPd13...eature=related

This is Bear Creek singing at Bay Mills. One of the men has his infant daughter bundled under his sweater. She sleeps peacefully as they sing:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bear-Creek/10720584678?v=wall#!/video/video.php?v=18229084506&oid=10720584678

Preview CD here: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8229817
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-03-10 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Added link to Grammy-Nominated CD

While I have it in mind, Harvey Dreaver should win a Grammy. His voice is amazing and he can really sing that romance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBMpob-XY8s

Here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyFWAza_cwQ
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-04-10 at 04:02 PM.

NDN 12 Days of Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF7J5...eature=related

I guess the twelve days don't officially start until Christmas, then go to Epiphany. Everybody has time to run out and get their CD and all.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; December-05-10 at 03:40 PM.

Are you enjoying the music? I can post some more.

Page 21 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 31 ... LastLast