Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14 54 59 60 61 62 63 64
Results 1,576 to 1,593 of 1593

Thread: Paging Gazhekwe

Thanks Pam, jimaz & gaz. I think all the people that are holding out in this Dakota weather are going to appreciate any amount of financial support.

Thank you so much, Pam and Jimaz, for keeping this thread active on the fight against the Black Snake. The Seventh Fire has been taking up all my time and energy. I've known about the Prophecy most of my life, but I never could figure out how were we going to get any energy going world wide. Yet here we are, lighting our new fires in preparation for leading to a healthier path for all our brothers, sisters and fellow beings.

Has anyone else noticed the connection to the end of the era Mayan Calendar in December 2012. From that time, we had nationwide and global movements beginning and they have become more and more powerful. We are in the process of stopping fossil fuels by attacking the money. It is money that feeds the Black Snake, and if we can choke off the money, it will begin to die. There are signs it is beginning to work.

Interesting article in the Free Press about The Treaty of Detroit that puts in play some of the wealthiest properties in Michigan.

Indian tribe bids to make big chunk of Up North Michigan a reservation

In the lawsuit, filed last year against Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder in U.S. District Court in Grand Rapids, the tribe claims the 1855 Treaty of Detroit between Ottawa and Chippewa Indians and the U.S. government affirmed as reservation land an area 32 miles north-to-south from the northern tip of the Lower Peninsula down the eastern shore of Little Traverse Bay. The 337-square-mile area in question includes Cross Village, Good Hart, Harbor Springs, Petoskey and northern Charlevoix.
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...tion/95374712/

Examples where tribes have prevailed in reacquiring land and governance:

Salamanca, NY Allegheny Reservation, Seneca
    Riverton, WY Wind River Reservation, Northern Arapaho, Eastern Shoshone

North Dakota seeks to outlaw masked rallies, allow driving over protesters
    Protesters against the Dakota Access Pipeline are shocked over bills introduced by GOP lawmakers which would criminalize road protests, restrict what protesters can wear, and allow the federal govt. to be sued to cover enforcement costs.

Among the bills, one would exempt drivers from liability if they unintentionally injure or kill a pedestrian obstructing traffic on a public road or highway.

GOP Rep. Keith Kempenich crafted the driver exemption bill after his 72-year-old mother-in-law was blocked by protesters waving signs on a roadway....
    Armored petro billionaires hiding behind the skirts of "residents" and "72-year-old mother-in-laws" as if there's nothing suspicious about that PR maneuver.

I was reading the other thread that Ray was posting, skid row and
    pawn shops - that good thread - and it led me to the Corktown blogspot
    which took me to the Detroit Urbanism blogspot with this very good
    first post:

http://detroiturbanism.blogspot.com/...-builders.html

Since it has been more than a year since this post other DetroitYes posters
    may well be aware of it.
    Last edited by Dumpling; February-13-17 at 01:43 AM. Reason: more info

It is walking distance from my job site to the place where "The Great
    Mound of the River Rouge" was located.

[[More recently, in year 2000, there was an ancient Honeywell coal chemical
    manufacturing facility just the other side of West End Street from where
    the Great Mound was - this reeked of toluidine and had a sign saying
    such-and-such many days without an accident. This has since been torn
    down and is most likely a brownfield.)

[[Heh. I think Manuel Maroun might now own the truck parking lot where
    the Great Mound used to be.)

Default Spring Beauties Today, the Last Tears of Old Man Winter

Name:  Tears of Old Man Winter.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  125.2 KB

Here is the history of the Spring Beauties for seven years on this thread:

The original post telling the story of the Spring Beauties 3-7-10, Post #310

That year, they bloomed in my yard April 11, post #336.

The year after, they showed up April 27, 2011, post 665.

The next year, it was March 27, 2012, post 890.

Last year, it was April 20, 2013, post 1199.

April 23, 2014

April 18, 2015

April 13, 2016

April 14, 2017

14. Default

WDET does article/audio on Native American Detroit...

CuriosiD: Who Were the Natives in Detroit?
    http://wdet.org/posts/2017/04/30/851...es-in-detroit/

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    WDET does article/audio on Native American Detroit...

CuriosiD: Who Were the Natives in Detroit?
    http://wdet.org/posts/2017/04/30/851...es-in-detroit/
    Lowell, thank you for posting this. I missed it completely. I like the direction this article takes, and my relative Sue Franklin is a great source. I do have some info to add, you might know it, right?

The pie chart showing the grouping today completely misses the huge Iroquois contingent. One reason we have such a good size Iroquois community is that so many came here to work high steel, building those tall skyscrapers downtown and the Ambassador Bridge.

Then there is this rather careless statement:

"Once settlers began moving to Michigan, some natives relocated out West, some stuck to areas designated for Indians like Walpole Island in Canada, and some integrated, often after being forced to."

The truth is, Andrew Jackson's Indian Relocation Act kicked as many Potawatomis as possible out of Southern Michigan. Many were forced to move to Kansas. We now have the Prairie Band Potawatomi Nation in Kansas. They did not want to go. When they got there, skilled farmers though they were, here in the rich fertile lands of southern Michigan, they were alienated by the topography and the weather out in their new home. It needs to be emphatically stated, the farmlands of southern Michigan were freed up by forced marches, just like the Trail of Tears. Some were able to relocate within Michigan as there were still lands "not required for settlement." Northport, Hannahville, some other areas. Some did flee to Canada, Walpole Island. Flee, not voluntarily move. As for forced integration, that went on and may still go on. It is hard to be Native in areas where Natives are regarded as inferior. If you can pass, so much the better for your livelihood.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-07-17 at 12:29 PM.

16. Default

Google Doodle Honors American Indian Activist Richard Oakes

Google Doodle is marking what would have been the 75th birthday of American Indian rights activist Richard Oakes.

Google's artwork depicts Oakes, who was one of the earliest leaders of the American Indian rights movement, near important places in his life, such as Akwesasne reservation, Alcatraz Island and Pit River.

Oakes — who grew up on the Mohawk reservation in Akwesasne, which stretches along the border of New York and Canada — moved to San Francisco when he was 18, where he played an integral role in developing the initial curriculum of one of the first American Indian studies programs in the U.S.

While on the West Coast, he became a champion for social justice for American Indians, spearheading protests that included leading a group of nearly 80 people to occupy Alcatraz Island for almost 19 months in 1969.

http://time.com/4787893/richard-oake...google-doodle/

I read about this in Michigan History magazine:

http://www.mackinacparks.com/native-...history-trail/

The nearly eight miles of motorless highway circumnavigating Mackinac Island is set to get an update this spring. The Native American Cultural Trail will feature six individual panels discussing the history and impact of Native Americans on the Great Lakes.
    “Native American history and culture is not something we actively interpret a great deal on Mackinac Island, currently,” said Director Phil Porter. “We hope these new informational panels will educate the public and provide perspective about the pre-contact history, trade, culture and more.”
    The panels were drafted by Director of Archives and Records for the Little Traverse Bay Band of Odawa Indians Eric Hemenway with help from Mackinac State Historic Parks staff and will be installed by Mackinac Island State Park operations staff.

Holland Area Historical Society Program: Answering the Call: Company K S
    Holland AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY PROGRAM:
    ANSWERING THE CALL:
    COMPANY K SHARPSHOOTERS IN THE CIVIL WAR

March 13 at 7:30pm to 9:30pm

Company K of the First Michigan Sharpshooters regiment was composed primarily of Native Americans of the United States, especially members of the Ojibwa, Odawa, and Potawatomi nations.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 7:30pm – 9:30pm

Hope College, Maas Center, Holland, MI

Description:Communications professor and filmmaker David Schock will illustrate through images and historical accounts the history of this famous Civil War fighting group.

Last edited by gazhekwe; January-03-18 at 09:07 AM.

Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14 54 59 60 61 62 63 64