Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: O Happy Day.

Default O Happy Day.

I eventually did it after years of procrastination. I CANCELLED COMCAST COMPLETELY. I AM SO HAPPY I DID IT. I've attempted it several times and always let them dissuade me with reduced payments of approx $30 for 6/12 months and then they've stuck it to me on the reduced payments. This time I did it for real and they actually offered me the TV part at $39.99. I said NO!

Depending on what you rent from them you can SAVE circa $100.00 per month [[that's $1200.00 per year or $1500.00 taxable income if your marginal tax rate is 25%). I don't have to contact Comcast now and that in itself provides continuous pleasure, and I won't receive their ever increasing bills.

HOWEVER for those who are yet to do it - and I'm sure there are "millions"; here is a WARNING. This is Comcast, and there is a STING in their tail. I CANCELLED on 01/19/2016. They told me to take their rented equipment to UPS for return. I did it on the 20th. [[I was there at 9.00a and there was three people ahead of me doing the same). COMCAST DIDN'T CHECK THE CONSIGNMENT IN UNTIL THE 29th. SO THEY CHARGED ME FOR 10 DAYS AFTER I CANCELLED AND AFTER I WAS UNABLE TO RECEIVE THEIR SIGNAL. It's their "Customer Service" they stick it to you for as long as they can.
    Last edited by coracle; February-17-16 at 09:49 AM.

Congrats on your early release from what could have been more years of Comcast/ Xfinity incarceration! I run a ROKU box [[which beyond purchase cost of unit is zip as it runs off my existing wifi) and I convert a good channel line up thru an antenna. I do Nexflix and HULU which totals under $20 a month! For me that more than enough TV access sans the cost of cable!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-16 at 10:56 AM.

I have had a lot of problems with Comcast over the years, and in recent weeks, when the outages occurred, I called the error message number from the TV, and got nothing but a busy signal after several tries over a period of days. Also with the number on my bill !
    I pay with auto pay, so I don't check the bill that often, but I noticed that my monthly charge increased $40 with no change in service. I finally got through and got a temporary adjustment, but this company is worse than shifty. I've had too many FALSE charges to even list here.
    I'd cancel in a second, if I wasn't home so much for health reasons. I'm in an apartment, so there are no other options for cable, but I do have Roku and Netflix and all the free channels with that.
    Most of the stuff on cable is garbage that is constantly in reruns and marathons. And then to get fleeced by a company with a monopoly in you're area is beyond the pale.

Good for you, I salute you !

I wish we all weren't weaned away from certain mediums because they are engineered to go bad at some point, for I wish Cable to stick around a while. Yet, Comcast has a long history-not only just for us-for a lot of folks as being a downright rotten as a provider. The horror stories are never-ending.

They have poor customer service [[some promising something and then, and when you notice a discrepancy in billing, and you hold them to their promise, they respond with a "Who promised you this?-oh, they no longer work here."-which is why I have tape recordings-Nixon style-of me arguing with them on the phone for their inconsistencies, from a long time ago.), their system goes on the blink [[it wasn't like On Demand was a big bonus, as it was always freezing up or unavailable, but at least I got to watch a lot of Adult Swim shorts back in 2005), and yes, they will do things like add charges for every little change [[which many disreputable companies do) you make or try to squeak in that extra overlap charge.

Good luck.

I'd cancel them in a second if I could, but there really isn't a better option available where I live for dependable high speed internet access. I have high hopes that will be changing in the next few years.

Comcast has been nothing but a pain in my ass [[which I told the representative last week) going on almost two years. I cannot wait until August to switch [[signed a two year contract) When they came to install, the kid did not know what he was doing and had to call in back up. No knowledge, equipment, etc. Total time, 6 hours!!! My husband finished the install because I didn't want to have another day with another guy trying to figure out what to do. In fact, the same kid came last week because of ANOTHER problem we had and he left without fixing it! He was very nice and pleasant but my god, it obvious they are not training their "technicians" We have had to call once a month since August of 2014 for problems with connections, outages, billing, etc. With all the BS we've had to put up with, imo, not worth saving the extra $60 a month. Can't wait to get back to AT&T!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    ..., and in recent weeks, when the outages occurred, I called the error message number from the TV, and got nothing but a busy signal after several tries over a period of days. Also with the number on my bill !...
    Comcast service restored after SE Mich. outage
    Service has been restored for Comcast customers after widespread “temporary” outages that affected much of southeast Michigan and the east coast, according to the company.

The outage, which first occurred late Monday morning, was restored around 2 p.m., said Michelle Gilbert, vice president of public relations for Comcast. She said she did not know how many customers were affected....
    Not to mention Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, etc. [[see map in article).

What the heck would cause an outage like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    ... What the heck would cause an outage like that?
    We may never know. Comcast Provides Few Details About Cause Behind Its Feb. 15 Outage
    ...Jenni Moyer, the senior director of corporate communications for Comcast's network and operations, gave no further details when asked for more information on the outage by eWEEK in a Feb. 16 email inquiry. She did not respond to specific questions about how many customers were affected, what caused the outage and how many states were affected.

Several IT industry analysts told eWEEK that Comcast's limited remarks about the service problems that affected many of its customers were surprising since it was not a small disruption.

"If this were a minor problem or one that affected a single place or region, Comcast could probably get away with simple glad-handing," Charles King, principal analyst of Pund-IT, told eWEEK in an email reply to an inquiry. "But the size/scope of yesterday's outage suggests that the issue was far larger and more widespread than a simple, 'Oops, sorry,' really covers."...

Surprise, surprise; after opening the thread with an explanation of my recent dealings with Comcast I received a flier in the mail today congratulating me on bring a good customer and offering me a $400 prepaid Credit Card. I called them immediately and and was told that depending on what services I added to my account I would qualify for up to $400. This was "embarrassing" because when they looked me up my account was cancelled. It was worth a try and I can only dream how ironic and "beautiful" it would have been. You can't win 'em all.

At least I spread out the misery.

Virgin/Verizon for my smart phone, AT&T for my landline and broadband, and Comcast for basic cable. Nowhere else to turn. I was running over the air digital for awhile, but got really tired of the constant adjustment of the indoor antenna.

A big problem is the U.S. is running far behind countries like Estonia, Latvia, and Korea when it comes to simple media streaming to the population for an affordable price.
    Last edited by Bigb23; February-18-16 at 09:38 AM.

I have ATT for my mobile and internet/ wifi. Course they wanted us to do the Uverse whatever tv and always acted incredulous that I am not interested. Like everyone is not into subscribed tv at that level. Sometimes it is a strain to pay for what we have!