Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Remembering Paul Sheridan, DCPD

I am Paul's granddaughter and am writing a book about him. Would love to hear any memorable stories about his time in the Detroit City Police Department from any of the precincts he was assigned. He retired as a Deputy Superintendent in 1966, after working his way up from Patrolman in 1938. Post a story and maybe I'll private message you for a phone appointment to add the story to the book.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. If you know someone who remembers him but is not on this forum, would love contact information as well to interview them by phone. Thanks!

KJ, I came on the job in 1959, and knew of him, of course, but never had any personal experiences with him. There is a board on Facebook of retired DPD members. With your permission, I'll copy and paste your note above on that board and relay any responses I get to you. Just let me know if it is okay. I do know he was an honorable man. -- Ray Downing, Henderson, NV.

Thanks so much. Any chance you know an email for this guy? There is no contact button on his website.

Yes, please - that would be wonderful! Oh, and please ask anyone who can tell me anything to message me on Facebook at Kelly J Sheridan - Thank you so much Mr. Downing!
    Last edited by KJSheridan; February-17-16 at 02:18 PM.

webmaster@retrodetroiter.com You must not have looked too hard.

Thought I did as I sure didn't see this email address. Thank you!

I believe Paul Sheridan's son Pat wrote a book, and that Paul Sheridan's career with DPD was the focal point of the book. The circumstances around Paul Sheridan's retirement from DPD were considered controversial at the time. Anyway, I knew some friends of the family that lived on Barlow and spoke very highly of Paul Sheridan as a neighbor.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; February-17-16 at 03:49 PM.

One response on Facebook so far, KJ......I'll try to get Tom's email addy later....

Tom Gould He was the inspector at#5 in 1964 when I came out of the academy and was assigned to #5. My first day I had to report to him. I walked into his office to face this legend. As I gave him my best salute he gave me his traditional Irish grin, told me to relax and welcomed me to #5. The advice he gave me was to stay away from booze and broads and I would be OK. He wished me luck and dismissed me. What a relief.

Like · Reply · 1 · 55 mins

Remove
    Tom Gould He was a great boss and loved the troops. A real cops cop. Got another story I'll share later

One more from Facebook, KJ....and I don't mind posting them for all to see rather than giving you a PM, because these are delightful!

"Jerry Carlin I went to school with his son John and worked with son Tim in West Bloomfield PD. The best story I heard was that he sent around a teletype to every pct on Christmas Eve and instructed them to immediately release anyone being held on anything less than a felony on his authority and to wish them Merry Christmas. The family lived at 20000 Barlow and that house was very small for the 12 [[or was it 13) kids that they had. Both the two men that I knew had only glowing memories of their Dad who I believe died of a heart attack on the steps of the Detroit Athletic Club."

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The advice he gave me was to stay away from booze and broads and I would be OK. He wished me luck and dismissed me. What a relief.

Ray, booze and broads are what makes life worth living. Like the old cowboy says, " I spent most of my money on booze and women, the rest I just wasted"

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Ray, booze and broads are what makes life worth living. Like the old cowboy says, " I spent most of my money on booze and women, the rest I just wasted"
    No argument! But not while you're working. Aye, there's the rub.

IrishSpartan - I am Pat's daughter, and yes, I know the book you speak about but it was an autobiography of himself, not his Dad. Obviously his dad played a major role in the book but it went a lot further after his dad died in 1969. Thanks for writing!

Ray - these are GEMS! Thank you so much. I had heard the story about releasing people on Xmas Eve - nice to see it validated. Also, he had 12 children, not 13. By the time the 12th came around, the 1st and 2nd were out of the house! He did die of a heart attack but it was in front of a hotel in downtown Detroit where he had collapsed. He officially died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital - they couldn't revive him. There's a lot more to tell but you'll have to read the book! :-) Thanks - I hope there are more gems to come!

Nothing posted today, KJ, but will keep an eagle eye out! Put me on the list for the book when it comes out. -- Ray

Two more responses overnight, KJ.

Carl Hasten I worked with his daughter, Mary and as far as I know she is still living in the Mack and 9 Mile area.

Like · Reply · 15 hrs

Remove
    Max Lemaux I worked with Sheridan on the 1st precinct desk when he was a Ltlater as Insp at 1. He would go down in my book as the greatest boss I ever worked For When he got to 3rd floor he always acknowledged me when we were together. There are many stories about him I feel privileged to be part of them

Oh how I wish Max would tell me some of these stories! So happy to hear everyone loved him as a boss. That was important to him, I'm sure.