Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default In-N-Out Burger prefers classic Detroit cars for their shirt designs

Now if only we can get them to open an In-N-Out Burger in Detroit. I'll have a coke, fries, and 2 burgers animal style.

Best damn fast food chain, ever.

I cannot pass one. I'm lucky I moved back from LA.

Got a few of these t's when I lived there as gifts, too, didn't know they were annuals. Pretty cool, and a GREAT story of how simply doing your thing may just get you recognized!

Cheers

Gannon speaks wisely, once again.

There's a dozen or so in Las Vegas. Just had a burger and fries at one on Sunday. There's no comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Now if only we can get them to open an In-N-Out Burger in Detroit. I'll have a coke, fries, and 2 burgers animal style.

Whats different about them is the grow their own beef and veggies, and they are still
    priced like the golden arches.

I send them emails all the time about franchising here.
    I always get the same reply, they will not go beyond californy, nevada and arizona, because thats as far as they want to ship their in house made products, and they do not have a lot of available excess production anyway.
    They also did not feel that they could have the same quality control if they got much bigger.

I don't have confirmation of this, but have no doubt.

The original owners apparently had plans to grow like MacDonalds, since they started at a similar time and area, so THEY probably would've grown the chain further.

But both are now on a famous list of chief executives who took the same flight that didn't land well...now corporations do not encourage this behavior.

It squelches growth...

[[RIP, fellas, and thanks for what you DID get started)

I inquired once as to their plans for the Midwest and they said there are none.
    I then inquired about a shipment of their secret sauce and they said no way
    I then asked how much to rent the catering truck for a party in Detroit. She hung up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I don't have confirmation of this, but have no doubt.

The original owners apparently had plans to grow like MacDonalds, since they started at a similar time and area, so THEY probably would've grown the chain further.

But both are now on a famous list of chief executives who took the same flight that didn't land well...now corporations do not encourage this behavior.

It squelches growth...

[[RIP, fellas, and thanks for what you DID get started)
    Meh,

they never had plans to franchise like McDonalds. Thank God because it's one of the reasons why they keep their quality intact. Their hamburgers are the best; There are a few near me. Most of them are here in Cali. and Nevada, but they have some in Texas and I think a few more western States.

All of their meat is fresh; even Wendy can't beat that with their hot food because their meat is frozen. The fries are also fresh; they're peeled and cut right in the restaurants.
    Last edited by dove-7; August-12-09 at 01:33 PM.

When I said like, I wasn't talking corporate form but merely growth rate.

One of the things that sets In-and-Out burger from any other fast-food corporation is that their employees all earn ownership over time.

Come to think of it, this was the first large-scale socio-capitalist application I'd ever discovered, where the founding owners share their capital with the very employees who make the clients happy...but without worrying about silly-ass public shareholders demanding they take their eyes off the long-term goals and direction of the company and go with actions that would attempt only falsely-expected quarterly goals.

It is cruel and unusual punishment to use "the Urge" in a subject heading on this board. I am so very homesick for a double double and fries. And a chocolate shake. Dang!

But I admit that when I lived in CA I was in some despair over real corned beef sandwiches. And that those shirts are very cool.

Now heading to the kitchen for a turkey and whole wheat rollup. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by dove-7 View Post
    Meh,

they never had plans to franchise like McDonalds. Thank God because it's one of the reasons why they keep their quality intact. Their hamburgers are the best; There are a few near me. Most of them are here in Cali. and Nevada, but they have some in Texas and I think a few more western States.

All of their meat is fresh; even Wendy can't beat that with their hot food because their meat is frozen. The fries are also fresh; they're peeled and cut right in the restaurants.

They are located in arizona, californy, nevada, and now have a new place in utah, just over the border from nevada.

You can buy the shirts online

http://shop.in-n-out.com/innout/dept...T.svl=deptnav1
    Last edited by Moetown; August-13-09 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    There were ones in the late 80s, early 90s in Westland & Waterford. Those were only open a couple of years, but there was one on Gratiot in Roseville that I thought was still open or at least open into this century. Can any eastsiders confirm please?

Jackie,are you maybe thinking of the Hot-N-Now on Gratiot and Martin road?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    There were ones in the late 80s, early 90s in Westland & Waterford. Those were only open a couple of years, but there was one on Gratiot in Roseville
    Quote Originally Posted by KENSINGTONY View Post
    In-and-Out didn't open a location outside the state of CA until 2000, and that was in neighboring AZ. Most likely, it was Hot-N-Now you are recalling. That was a franchise chain procured & expanded by Pepsico in the 90s. At the time they were in a fast food acquisition frenzy, gathering up KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell in addition to Hot-N-Now. The latter was a dog, and they sold it off first. Pepsi realized they bit off more than they could chew. Fast food is even more competitive than soft drinks. The remaining chains were spun off into a separate company named YUM! brands [[how's that for a stupid corporate name?) and sold off. .

The key to In-and-Out's success is that it is still family owned [[the Snyders). They are not beholden to Wall Street movers & shakers. They also refuse to borrow money in order to expand, which is why the expansion has been slow and why they don't franchise. Not only are employees stakeholders [[everyone shares in the profits, not just senior managers) , they pay an hourly wage substantially higher than other fast food joints.

Yes, the food is tasty, but the service is also what sets it apart from the business models of BK, McD, etc. I go in there periodically just to renew my faith in young people. It's so refreshing to see kids working enthusiastically, earning a fair wage, and wearing a smile.

I've never eaten at an In-and-Out but there's a local chain here in Michigan whose burgers I enjoy-Halo Burger,out of the Flint area.When I go to Birch Run a stop at their store there is a must.YUM!!!!!!!!

The one off Highway 101 on the way to the valley was on my drive home from the office, and my local one was on Lankershim just north of Magnolia...used to joke with 'em occasionally if they'd simply market their happy pills, because no team consistently could be so efficient and happy without some outside help!

Come to think of it, the busiest one was always that one down at LAX...and those folks were always damn perky, too.

I guess socio-capitalism works. Give everyone a true piece of the pie, and they think and act like the owners they are...

We've seen before that any "best burger", "best pizza", or "best coney island" thread is bound to get plenty of postings, each person claiming their favorite is the hands-down, no comparison best of the bunch. Then of course there's the ubiquitous regional rivalry [[e.g. nothing compares to Detroit pizza, Chicago pizza, NYC pizza, blah-blah). Ultimately, it's all a matter of personal taste, and for some of us who don't find eating food as the be-all, end-all sensual experience, it's not really a matter of great importance.

IMO In-and-Out's overall product & operating standards are a step above the multinational chains, but certainly part of the appeal to many people is that it's primarily a SoCal mainstay. Once the 'exclusivity' allure is gone, frequently the luster of the product goes away with it. I recall folks lining up at the first Krispy Kreme in town when it opened, because it was formerly an institution unique to Southern states. Now they are on the verge of bankruptcy and closing outlets. Were their doughnuts formerly sensational but now lousy? The recipe didn't change, however the consumer's perception of the product did.

High quality fast food is almost an oxymoronic phrase. This chain is better than most regarding perceived quality. Doubtful that a general pay-for-it-as-you-go growth strategy is either fast or usual among large and popular fast food chains. I don't care much for the bread used for the patties.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackenzie68 View Post
    It is cruel and unusual punishment to use "the Urge" in a subject heading on this board. I am so very homesick for a double double and fries. And a chocolate shake. Dang!

But I admit that when I lived in CA I was in some despair over real corned beef sandwiches. And that those shirts are very cool.

Now heading to the kitchen for a turkey and whole wheat rollup. Sigh.
    Lowell needs to fix the time status on this. I was neutral/not posting for a mere 2 minutes and I had to log back in just to post.

Anyways, don't feel too bad, I haven't had White Castles since I left and crave them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moetown View Post
    They are located in arizona, californy, nevada, and now have a new place in utah, just over the border from nevada.

You can buy the shirts online

http://shop.in-n-out.com/innout/dept...T.svl=deptnav1
    Yes I know, I've been to their website last year out of curiosity to see what other States that they sell their food.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    There were ones in the late 80s, early 90s in Westland & Waterford. Those were only open a couple of years, but there was one on Gratiot in Roseville that I thought was still open or at least open into this century. Can any eastsiders confirm please?
    No, In and Out never opened shop in Michigan. I'm thinking that you're confusing the name with 'Hot n Now.' The names can confuse some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    In-and-Out didn't open a location outside the state of CA until 2000, and that was in neighboring AZ. Most likely, it was Hot-N-Now you are recalling. That was a franchise chain procured & expanded by Pepsico in the 90s. At the time they were in a fast food acquisition frenzy, gathering up KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell in addition to Hot-N-Now. The latter was a dog, and they sold it off first. Pepsi realized they bit off more than they could chew. Fast food is even more competitive than soft drinks. The remaining chains were spun off into a separate company named YUM! brands [[how's that for a stupid corporate name?) and sold off. .

The key to In-and-Out's success is that it is still family owned [[the Snyders). They are not beholden to Wall Street movers & shakers. They also refuse to borrow money in order to expand, which is why the expansion has been slow and why they don't franchise. Not only are employees stakeholders [[everyone shares in the profits, not just senior managers) , they pay an hourly wage substantially higher than other fast food joints.

Yes, the food is tasty, but the service is also what sets it apart from the business models of BK, McD, etc. I go in there periodically just to renew my faith in young people. It's so refreshing to see kids working enthusiastically, earning a fair wage, and wearing a smile.
    Qft. Also, 'In n Out' thrived during the bad economic years during the late 80's early 90's when places like Micky D and Burger King were expensive; In n Out was an opportunist food joint that had lower fees and got their customers in and out. When Micky D dropped their prices down in order to compete, people ended up heading back to them. Imo., this forced In n Out to close it's door. When you remain myopic and don't change in order to compete, you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    We've seen before that any "best burger", "best pizza", or "best coney island" thread is bound to get plenty of postings, each person claiming their favorite is the hands-down, no comparison best of the bunch. Then of course there's the ubiquitous regional rivalry [[e.g. nothing compares to Detroit pizza, Chicago pizza, NYC pizza, blah-blah). Ultimately, it's all a matter of personal taste, and for some of us who don't find eating food as the be-all, end-all sensual experience, it's not really a matter of great importance.

IMO In-and-Out's overall product & operating standards are a step above the multinational chains, but certainly part of the appeal to many people is that it's primarily a SoCal mainstay. Once the 'exclusivity' allure is gone, frequently the luster of the product goes away with it. I recall folks lining up at the first Krispy Kreme in town when it opened, because it was formerly an institution unique to Southern states. Now they are on the verge of bankruptcy and closing outlets. Were their doughnuts formerly sensational but now lousy? The recipe didn't change, however the consumer's perception of the product did.
    In the case with 'In n Out' I doubt it, they've been applying the same philosophy and concepts for years and it is still working for them. Quality, good food, customer relations, paying their employees fair wages etc. is what is what they have and is lacking into today's food industry. Hell, it's lacking in most industries nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by KENSINGTONY View Post
    Yes, you & the others mentioning it are right. Short & similar names and not "cruisin' Gratiot" for a while makes my brain play tricks on me. Thanks for the correction.