Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default post bar on Congress

Our group has a bus trip to the Wings game, we always stopped at the Post bar for pre game drinks. I heard it closed, when and why? Any suggestions for a bar within walking distance of the Joe?

The people that owned the Post [[If I remember correctly they were a brother and sister) opened several very large Post bars around 2003 or so [[One in Novi and one in Auburn Hills). I don't think they ended up doing very well as they only stayed open for a short time. Perhaps their failure had something to do with the closure of the downtown location. The Ferndale location is also closed.

Wasn't there also one in the Madison Building?

Good Bye Post Bar. I still have my youthful memories of staggering down Cass, and following the big, yellow elephant footprints to The Post.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Wasn't there also one in the Madison Building?
    It was planned but never came to fruition.

The Post was owned by an older guy who passed away in the early 2,000's I think Two of the children [[who were managers aleready) opened a few new locations. I went to school with one of them.

Later they sold most of the locations to a larger company,.. I don't remember who.

The location on Hayes Rd. In Clinton Township was forced to close after a guy was shot in the parking lot in 2005. The same two owners were planning to convert it into a pizza place.

One of the locations was independently operated,.. and didn't get sold. As of a few years ago it was still open,.. on the North side of Mack, just East of Alter Rd.

The owner of that location [[Clyde) has since changed the name from The Post East, to Clyde's East Bar.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3876...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Dino Cicccarel had his 22 Sports Bar at the former Post Bar location. Not sure when it may have closed. Crain's reported in 2014 that it would stay open after the building was purchased by investors who plan to convert the building into lofts.

There is a Post Bar in Dearborn.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20916

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-creative-loft

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Our group has a bus trip to the Wings game, we always stopped at the Post bar for pre game drinks. I heard it closed, when and why? Any suggestions for a bar within walking distance of the Joe?
    For the answer to your second question, the Anchor Bar will fill you needs nicely. The majority of patrons will take the short walk to the Joe but they also run a shuttle for anyone who wants it.

Granite City in the Ren Cen is walking distance from the Joe.

Grand Trunk is a good choice too.