Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fountain Bistro redux

Campus Martius fixture Fountain Bistro sold, to close after this weekend

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ose-after-this

i've heard they're taking the thing down to the foundation...

F. Bistro was too upscale for this spot. I always thought a Panera Bread or something similar would do great there.

I've always pictured a Shake Shack in that spot.

Don't agree that it was too upscale. One of my very favorite places, once a month or so. The setting couldn't have been better. Glad to hear about expanded menu at Beach Bar, though.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Campus Martius fixture Fountain Bistro sold, to close after this weekend

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ose-after-this

i've heard they're taking the thing down to the foundation...
    I don't know if that would make sense unless they've been given permission to expand the footprint of the building. The biggest limitation to that site is that there is access/ventilation for the Kennedy block underground garage there. You can't get around it and really limits what's possible with the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    F. Bistro was too upscale for this spot. I always thought a Panera Bread or something similar would do great there.
    Or an Au Bon Pain.

I've worked downtown for 6 years and haven't been there yet. I think the only time I considered it pricing was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverdouglas View Post
    Don't agree that it was too upscale. One of my very favorite places, once a month or so. The setting couldn't have been better. Glad to hear about expanded menu at Beach Bar, though.
    I agree.

The space is too nice for something like a Panera Bread. A think a nice mid-priced bar/restaurant is perfect here. It's an excellent spot for a "date night" type of restaurant, featuring dinner entrees in the $15-$25 range, and lunches in the $10-$15 range. Something a little nicer than Hard Rock or Grand Trunk, but not as upscale as Townhouse, Roast, etc.