Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default uk visitor in september

Hi, myself and wife will be stopping over in Detroit for 2 days on route to st Louis where I have family there , I sadly have used this route London to st Louis via Detroit so many times but due to media and internet I have always been slightly put off, well I have had enough of this negativity and im going to now spend 2 nights downtown at a hotel and get about a bit and meet local people , I went on youtube and typed Detroit ,well I was so annoyed by people who actualy claimed they were from Detroit really having a moan about their own city and it was slightly embarrassing to watch . well if went by media etc I would have never gone to st Louis either and in all the times I been there I have seen nothing bad lol, anyway Detroit is now exciting me and cant wait to visit your state

welcome and do enjoy the best we have to offer. i recommend checking out this list if you'd care for ideas...

http://www.jadore-detroit.com/the-list/

Welcome to Michigan and glad you're visiting. I don't know what your interests are but there are some great things to see, do, and eat in the area. I'm sure if you want suggestions on specific things you'll get plenty of good ideas on this forum.

Don't be too put off by internet negativity. Detroit has plenty of problems, but it's a very interesting place and worth your visit.

September is probably one of the nicest months to visit.

Enjoy!

Michigan and Detroit are what you make of it.

Do you want shopping?-you may want the suburbs. Ann Arbor makes a great diversion if you are into the whole college town thing. The town of Frankenmuth, if you want some Bavarian experience.

Do you want food?-Downtown has a lot of restaurants spread out-whether it's Corktown [[trendy), Greektown [[maybe 3 or 4 actual Greek places left), some authentic places in Mexicantown, cheap Lebanese food like La Pita or La Shish in Dearborn [[especially if you are vegetarian). There is Polish Village Cafe in Hamtramck [[a humble favorite), Buddy's square pizza is a humble, flavorful dive nearby on Conant St. There is the Dakota Inn at Rathskellers [[which we haven't been to in a while, so...). Some folks like Mario's on Second or Roma Cafe in Eastern Market for Italian. Except for the last two, none of these are really elaborate, fancy places.

The initial discouragement is cosmetics. We simply just don't invest in superficial appearances here to promote quality. Some gem may be located in a building that looks dingy on the outside in a bad neighborhood, and then you go in and Wow! it's a great art gallery or humble restaurant with good food in nice portions with good service.

Check out Lowell's posting for great weekend things to do. Check out the art museum [[Ann Arbor has some good ones and my brother always recommends the Kelsey Archaeology Museum);It's been spared just for visitors like yourselves. Also, Cranbrook way out in the suburbs has a great art and science museum.

If you want to go funky and folksy, check out the Heidelberg, many of the art murals around town [[like around Eastern Market), and remember to grab a "Coney dog" at the Lafayette Coney Island on Michigan Ave. tucked aside from Woodward Ave.

If you are going to be here around Labor Day weekend, the Jazzfest is a must.

Thankyou for all your helful information, I have booked 2 nights at the Doubletree suites as it looks a great lace to explore from, whats your oinionn of my choice as it has good reviews and a few from uk which helps as their my people lol I cant wait

If you want to see Detroit in nearly all of its shapes and forms in one place, then a trip to Heidelberg street and the journey there is well worth your while, especially if on your way to Belle Isle, which so many other people will recommend [[naturally), and both are 3 miles east of downtown. Both are on the list of "must-see" attractions, but the Heidelberg may be the one to give you some insight as to why so many of us bemoan our fair city.....it is everything that's right and wrong, born of all that was and is still wrong of our remaining 131 square miles [[beyond the 7.2 miles that encompass the downtown and surrounding environs that garner the "positive press)".

To balance out the side-street road-trip that is mandatory to get to either of these places, have your driver or host head several miles north or west to some of our stable neighborhoods within the city, such as the University District, Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Rosedale Park, Grandmont, anywhere along Oakman Blvd.... to give you a balanced perspective from all the surrounding blight and abandonment.

The key word here is perspective. You will see quite easily what so many of us bitch about, and quite the opposite that receives very little press, because stable neighborhoods aren't newsworthy. And don't get me wrong, the abandonment here, often for miles at a time, while stark, is also fascinating, if not mind-blowing [[Fullerton, west from Highland park near Lawton, [[just past 14th) with all those brick 2 family houses with the 3 curved windows facing the front porch.....all burned...comes to mind). Heartbreaking is probably the more appropriate term.

Two days is short, leave emotionally attached.

Welcome to Detroityes...... [[waving from across the pond).

Glad you're stopping by - when the time is closer we might be able to give you some more ideas as to what's going on in the city! WELCOME.

There has been a change of plan, I am now going to stay in Detroit for 5 days and nights possibly 6 and visit friends in st Louis next year as I really want to visit some places in Detroit and doing 2 cities can get expensive, im lucky as virgin now fly direct from heathrow which is only a 20 min drive from my house here on the outskirts of London. I will add some more details nearer the time and hey if anyone would like to meet us one evening or day for a beer and chat that would be fantastic, cant wait to see your city , if anyone is interested im from a town called Hemel Hempstead just outside London feel free to look on google etc cheers to you all

Don't do it! You'll never make it out alive!

Just kidding. Have a great trip. I think the most fun thing is to rent bikes and ride around Detroit. There is a lot "within striking distance" of down town.

Two other things worth bringing up: get familiar with Detroit radio-WDET isn't what it used to be, 89.9 is okay [[if you like that Thom York Radiohead sound), Ypsilanti [[the more west you are) has cool stuff, WHFR has amazing slots when you catch them, and WRCJ has good broadcasts [[especially classical) when they aren't putting things through some filter or soundfile that gives it some odd digitally crackled envelope sound [[like listening to a desiccated musical greeting card).

Now, there is no way our toffee is going to compete with Brit style, but there is a place near Vernier and Mack. http://www.yelp.com/biz/elan-candies-grosse-pointeMaybe worth a visit and placing an advanced order. I know a lot of ladies who are addicted to the stuff.

Keep in mind that threads on DY cycle out fairly fast. September is a ways off, so you may want to revive this about a month or month and half prior to your departure, and see what last minute tips you may receive [[or updates regarding current events shaping aspects like traffic). The best way to do that is go to "search forums" and type in "September" for title only, and your thread will be of the many that comes up. Add an updated post, and some folks will take to it.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwatforduk View Post
    There has been a change of plan, I am now going to stay in Detroit for 5 days and nights possibly 6 and visit friends in st Louis next year as I really want to visit some places in Detroit and doing 2 cities can get expensive, im lucky as virgin now fly direct from heathrow which is only a 20 min drive from my house here on the outskirts of London. I will add some more details nearer the time and hey if anyone would like to meet us one evening or day for a beer and chat that would be fantastic, cant wait to see your city , if anyone is interested im from a town called Hemel Hempstead just outside London feel free to look on google etc cheers to you all
    That is a very long time to stay in Detroit as a tourist.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That is a very long time to stay in Detroit as a tourist.
    I came as a tourist for 5 days in 2014 and it was barely enough time. I'd come back for a week every year if I could afford the time and money. Detroit is one helluva fun city.

I've not known anyone that stayed at the Doubletree in Detroit, but it's managed by the Hilton hotel which as a major hotel chain provides some level of assurance. It's located in the Central Business District [[CBD) which would be convenient for restaurants, nightlife and getting around. Another great option would be to stay in the Midtown neighborhood - the other area of the city that has seen significant development and reinvestment. I'm looking at hotel options in Detroit myself for an event my school is hosting in Detroit this fall and I came across this interesting option.

http://elmoore.com/

Another nice way to see the city as a tourist is to stay in Airbnb. It can certainly be less expensive for you and perhaps more interesting. We have been Airbnb hosts since June 2015 and have had guests from all over the world, as well as quite a few investors from LA and NYC looking to buy property in Detroit. When Virgin Atlantic announced their direct flights, Richard Branson came to Detroit. We had a British journalist stay with us for a few days then as she was covering news of the related events. From my own experience and also networking with other Airbnb hosts, I can tell you that many hosts like to interact with their guests. We often end up hanging out with guests and showing them around when our schedules allow. We are in an Arts and Crafts home on East Grand Boulevard located not far from the Heidelberg Project [[less than a mile - perhaps a dozen blocks). If you stay outside of the CBD or Midtown you will probably want a rental car. However, we've had a few guests that just used Uber.

hybridy, I love your suggested list!

http://www.jadore-detroit.com/the-list/

When you get to town, you might consider stopping by City Bird or Nest in Midtown and pick up a copy of Belle Isle to 8 Mile: An Insider’s Guide to Detroit. Our friend's children are the coauthors of this book. When the first edition came out several years ago, I would say it was a treasure-trove for discovering some of Detroit's lesser known gems. It was exhaustive in its approach. Even though Detroit has so many new offerings in the last 2-3 years, this resource is still worth a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwatforduk View Post
    I was in London in November , I stayed in the Brentwood area. I flew Virgin, get airline.
    I'd be happy to grab a beer with you guys. PM me , as I work downtown , I would be happy to show you guys around.

It is a shame Django isn't around to give you one of his trademarked tours; he was an invaluable aid to out-of-towners looking for the real Detroit.

Django a Scale of Adventure: The Awe, The Gasp and the Fingernail Sweat.

If you'd select the Fingernail Sweat, you had to prove you had bail money for both you and him.

Alas, our Django died last year and the place hasn't been the same since.

I could give you a tour for a day or so, PM me.

The el Moore sounds cool, the Hilton is bleh. The Hilton Garden Inn is nice enough but you are flying a long way to get to Detroit, you are spending a lot of dough and time; so why would you disrespect your time and money to stay at anyplace that is bleh?

The Inn on Ferry Street is lovely and worth a look-see. The Art Museum is almost next door to Ferry and nearby you can find dining, drink and diversions.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It is a shame Django isn't around to give you one of his trademarked tours; he was an invaluable aid to out-of-towners looking for the real Detroit.

Django a Scale of Adventure: The Awe, The Gasp and the Fingernail Sweat.

If you'd select the Fingernail Sweat, you had to prove you had bail money for both you and him.

Alas, our Django died last year and the place hasn't been the same since.

I could give you a tour for a day or so, PM me.

The el Moore sounds cool, the Hilton is bleh. The Hilton Garden Inn is nice enough but you are flying a long way to get to Detroit, you are spending a lot of dough and time; so why would you disrespect your time and money to stay at anyplace that is bleh?

The Inn on Ferry Street is lovely and worth a look-see. The Art Museum is almost next door to Ferry and nearby you can find dining, drink and diversions.
    Good call. Not only the DIA, but the Detroit Historical Museum, Science Center, the Wright MAAH, all worth a visit. Walkable restaurants & bars. Will the Blight Rail be up and running?