Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Metro Detroit Road/Intersection Realignment

So that Oakwood Realignment thread got me thinking about streets I've noticed that were different 40-50-60+ years. I've found these thanks to my near obsession with the DTE Aerial Views website.

Livernois and Avon in Rochester Hills, 1956:

Name:  LivernoisAvon1956.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  84.6 KB

13 Mile and Crooks/GTRR in Royal Oak, 1949:

Name:  13Mile&RR1949.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  104.2 KB

And while it wasn't a realignment, the renaming of Hunter Blvd. to Woodward in the 90s and Woodward became Old Woodward.

Fort St [[M-85) was realigned at Southfield [[Lincoln Park) many years before your pics. The Old Fort St going south is today named Fort Park. This realignment also opposite of normal trends, as the realignment eliminated the zig-zag. Don't recall the year, however I'm guessing 30's.

The Northwest Territory Survey mapped out the state in "townships and sections " with the roads following the section lines. Errors in the survey as well as the basic error of drawing straight lines on a curved surface [[the earth) causes a need for "grid correction" points. In some case, these have been smoothed out by subsequent road construction while in other cases, there are small doglegs where the section line roads hit a grid correction.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Fort St [[M-85) was realigned at Southfield [[Lincoln Park) many years before your pics. The Old Fort St going south is today named Fort Park. This realignment also opposite of normal trends, as the realignment eliminated the zig-zag. Don't recall the year, however I'm guessing 30's.
    Interesting...this is true that the maps only go back to 1949. So there could have been more realignments that we may not know about.

Quote Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
    Heading south, at about the same time, Fort Street was realigned between Grove/Leroy and Pennsylvania Road. Old Fort is now Quarry Road and the current Fort was previously Strong Street.

An obvious one is Woodward/Michigan intersection pre-2004 and now.