Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by missn View Post
    I seem to remember JJABA once telling us the hs sounded like the s in pleasure or leisure. Almost all Westsiders I knew said Lasher.
    I recently verified: my dad, who was born in Detroit and attended school there every year until college says LAHzher, finishing it exactly like he does pleasure, measure, and leisure. East sider. My mom, not natively from Detroit, who used it often, says more of a LAHzer than a LAHser or a LAHzher.

Did you know Hamtramck is French? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_F...7ois_Hamtramck. Anyone able to pronounce it, in French?
    Last edited by bust; February-23-16 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    I recently verified: my dad, who was born in Detroit and attended school there every year until college says LAHzher, finishing it exactly like he does pleasure, measure, and leisure. East sider. My mom, not natively from Detroit, who used it often, says more of a LAHzer than a LAHser or a LAHzher.

Did you know Hamtramck is French? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_F...7ois_Hamtramck. Anyone able to pronounce it, in French?
    Interesting question, bust.

I think your average French speaker would be at a loss with this one. For one thing, it sounds and looks Germanic. A big part of Eastern France has Germanic roots and names. He was born here but I can't find anyone here in Quebec with that last name.

When I first took my wife [[a nice California girl) home to meet the family, we were head out 94 and came up to Cadieux. She can speak French and couldn't wrap her tongue around that one. Every time we're back an hit Cadieux she ask how the hell we get CAD-jew out of that.

The Lahser family was on JP McCarthy's radio show back in the '60's and said they pronounce their name LASH-er.

How about Riopelle and Morang?

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    How about Riopelle and Morang?
    REE-o-pel

mor-ANG

One thing I've noticed is that some pronunciations seem to have changed over the years. The addition of the trailing s is one of those subtle changes.

For instance: I always remember Livernois being pronounced as "Liver-noy". But increasingly over the years I've heard it pronounced as "Liver-noise", with the final s pronounced. Similarly, in Indian Village, where I spent the better part of my childhood, the middle street Iroquois was generally pronounced as "ear-o-koy" [[although some old timers left out the middle vowel and just said "ear-koy"). Now though I hear neighborhood residents almost universally call it "ear-o-kois". Again, with the last s pronounced. I wonder what accounts for this shift?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    REE-o-pel
    There seems to be some difference of opinion over this one. I, and I think most of my family, would say "RYE-o-pel". But I've also heard the middle vowel swallowed or omitted as "RYE-pel".

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There seems to be some difference of opinion over this one. I, and I think most of my family, would say "RYE-o-pel". But I've also heard the middle vowel swallowed or omitted as "RYE-pel".
    You know what Eastside Al, I think I was a bit too quick to answer and I concur with that pronunciation too. Though, I think I've heard both.

How about Pingree? PINE-gree or PING-gree or PING-ree or...? Hard G or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    How about Pingree? PINE-gree or PING-gree or PING-ree or...? Hard G or not?
    The Pingree family members I know pronounce it PING-gree.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that some pronunciations seem to have changed over the years. The addition of the trailing s is one of those subtle changes.

For instance: I always remember Livernois being pronounced as "Liver-noy". But increasingly over the years I've heard it pronounced as "Liver-noise", with the final s pronounced. Similarly, in Indian Village, where I spent the better part of my childhood, the middle street Iroquois was generally pronounced as "ear-o-koy" [[although some old timers left out the middle vowel and just said "ear-koy"). Now though I hear neighborhood residents almost universally call it "ear-o-kois". Again, with the last s pronounced. I wonder what accounts for this shift?
    I always considered myself as reasonably well educated. However, it wasn't until I was nearly forty that I realized the "s" is not pronounced in Illinois. To this day I have to mentally instruct my brain to drop that dang constant.

Kansas and Arkansas????????????????

[QUOTE=Ray1936;502426]I always considered myself as reasonably well educated. However, it wasn't until I was nearly forty that I realized the "s" is not pronounced in Illinois. To this day I have to mentally instruct my brain to drop that dang constant.[/QUO

Constant or Consonant?

[QUOTE=FormerDetroiter;502441]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I always considered myself as reasonably well educated. However, it wasn't until I was nearly forty that I realized the "s" is not pronounced in Illinois. To this day I have to mentally instruct my brain to drop that dang constant.[/QUO

Constant or Consonant?
    Duh. Note to self. Engage brain before operating fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I always considered myself as reasonably well educated. However, it wasn't until I was nearly forty that I realized the "s" is not pronounced in Illinois. To this day I have to mentally instruct my brain to drop that dang constant.

You mean to say that when you don't mute the "s" in Illinois, it makes a silly noise?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4