Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Detroit Street Name Pronunciation

A couple of us are having a discussion over the correct local pronunciation of Erskine Street, so I thought I'd throw it out to the experts here in DetroitYes.

Which is the most common local pronunciation and which syllable is stressed?

a) er-skyne
    b) er-skihn
    c) er-skeen
    d) other?

b) er-skihn

or

d) ers-kihn
    Last edited by MikeM; February-04-16 at 09:43 PM.

b) er-skihn

b....er-skihn

B!

At least that's the way the folks at the Roma Cafe [[at rye-o-pell and er-skin) have always pronounced it.

Thanks everyone!

Another fun one is Goethe...although within one block it is actually misspelled Gothe...at St. Jean.

Noticed it just the other day. [[I know how it should be pronounced...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Another fun one is Goethe...although within one block it is actually misspelled Gothe...at St. Jean.
    Goethe figure.....

[

how about Piquette

I lived on pikette,

its French, Pi kwee

Noticed it just the other day. [[I know how it should be pronounced...)
    GO-thee, soft "th"

There's the infamous "Lahser" it is not Lash-er, but Lahs-er. And then there's Charlevoix too.

Goethe - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe pronunciation - ɡətə [[28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832) was a German writer and statesman.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    B!

At least that's the way the folks at the Roma Cafe [[at rye-o-pell and er-skin) have always pronounced it.

Having grown up near Riopelle, we never pronounced the "O".. It was Rye-pell.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    [

how about Piquette

I lived on pikette,

its French, Pi kwee
    "pikette" is exactly how it is said in French, not "Pi kwee".

As for Erskine, where does the stress go? ER-skihn, or er-SKIHN? Knowing where the stress goes is important. Somebody told me that Macomb was pronounced muh-comb, and I took that to mean MUH-comb. It was later when I learned that it's muh-COMB.

Must be new. The 2009 and 2011 Google street view images show a "Goethe" sign there, but the 2013 image shows the sign and the light pole it was attached to missing.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    [

how about Piquette

I lived on pikette,

its French, Pi kwee
    As a Francophone, no, just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    There's the infamous "Lahser" it is not Lash-er, but Lahs-er. And then there's Charlevoix too.
    Lash-er. Nobody said Lahs-er, at least south of 8 Mile.

How in the world did they get Gratiot = Grass-shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    How in the world did they get Gratiot = Grass-shit.
    Ehhh, I've never really heard people pronounce it like that. It's more "GRAH-shit".

I've heard two possible French pronounciations, "GRAH-tee-o" or "GRAH-syee-o"

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Ehhh, I've never really heard people pronounce it like that. It's more "GRAH-shit".

I've heard two possible French pronounciations, "GRAH-tee-o" or "GRAH-syee-o"
    LOL I know but either way it's too funny , how are they getting a s from tiot?, Where in the world is the S coming from ? LOL

LOL I know but either way it's too funny , how are they getting a s from tiot?, Where in the world is the S coming from ? LOL
    How do you pronounce motion?

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    True , true , I pronounce Mo-shi-tion lol JK

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Hilarious. Now I finally have a justification for my native french speaking friends!

Be thankful that Go-thee and Frood streets don't cross.

Yes well it's a lot like English really. In French, «Attention» is pronounced Attawnseeawn more or less, whereas in English, it is pronounced: Attenshun. Where is the T sound gone to? What is the «shh» sound all about? Lol

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast