Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 1000 color slides of Detroit families from 50's to 70's on Ebay

Vintage 35mm colorSLIDE LOT of over 1000 plus slides of Detroit Families in the 1950's and 1960'sand more is presented. There is also a MickeyMantle photo from a Cobo Hall 1969 show.
    This is a nostalgic time capsule offamily life in the 1950's and 1960's. You will experience what it was like togrow up in 1950's Detroit with colorful slides of Christmas, fantasticChristmas presents, birthday parties, family gatherings, dog shows, awesomecars and homes, 50's decor and fashions, toys, trains, holidays, neighborhoods,Easter, Halloween and lots of children.
    See local Detroit sites like Christmasat the Ford Rotunda, Detroit Zoo, BelleIsle, Detroit Yacht Club and Greenfield Village. Plus you’ll see Camp Dearborn,Cedar Point, and happy families growing up!
    Very rare retro, color history of Detroitfamilies!!
    Auction happening now on EBay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think I like that Buick convertible a lot more than she does. She needs to sell it to me [[at a nice mid-50s price...).

Another photos from the collection. Parade in Dearborn, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I think I like that Buick convertible a lot more than she does. She needs to sell it to me [[at a nice mid-50s price...).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Does anyone else think this is kind of creepy? I'd be upset if my image, or the image of any of my relatives, was being sold in this collection without permission.

Where do you think these came from? Surely the seller does not have permission from everyone.

If someone is recognizable in a photograph that photograph cannot be used for commercial purposes without a model release. That doesn't apply to journalistic photography.

I'm not sure if selling this collection on ebay counts as a commercial purpose. I guess not. But it still feels creepy in any case.

bust...i'm with you on that.

I have contacted a family member and the person who sold these to me on EBAY and never got a response.
    I think it may have been an estate sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    bust...i'm with you on that.

About five hours to go [[12:00 EST) and the Ebay reserve has not been met. Sounds like a interesting collection!

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Does anyone else think this is kind of creepy? I'd be upset if my image, or the image of any of my relatives, was being sold in this collection without permission.

Where do you think these came from? Surely the seller does not have permission from everyone.

If someone is recognizable in a photograph that photograph cannot be used for commercial purposes without a model release. That doesn't apply to journalistic photography.

I'm not sure if selling this collection on ebay counts as a commercial purpose. I guess not. But it still feels creepy in any case.
    Obviously, they come from somebody's old family photographs that, for whatever reason, have run out of family members interested in keeping them. What consistently amazes me is that there is an active market in buying and selling other people's old pictures.

Look around on ebay though, or in antique shops who deal in such ephemera, and you will definitely see that there is such a market. For my part I find it alternately fascinating [[mostly from a social-historical perspective - and the cool old cars) and creepy [[for many of the reasons you mention). Sites like Shorpy and others are out there to appeal strongly to this social-historical interest.

However, when I run into these collections of people's old family photos online, in antique stores, junk shops, or flea markets, one of the primary emotions I feel is sadness. Here are someone's once-beloved family members, engaged in activities that were once important to them, in photographs that were lovingly kept to look back on good times past and people they knew and loved. But now, with no one left to care for or about them or the people in them, they are dumped anonymously for sale by and to people who know nothing about the people in the pictures, and who those people can never know.

Then I look at the literally thousands of old family photographs in my dad's apartment. Going back several generations. Many of them containing pictures of people that none of us currently living recognize or can name. With declining family sizes, people moving to other parts of the country and the world, younger people much more interested in the newest media than boring photographs of people in a world they can no longer fathom, and older people from that world now all dying off, I wonder what is to become of all of these pictures once I'm gone and literally no one knows any of the people in them.

I suppose that being sold to someone with a caring hobbyists interest in old photos and the social history they contain, even if that means that all of the identities of the people involved are essentially erased, and/or that the pictures are published and used without anyone's knowledge and permission, is still quite preferable to having my family's whole recorded history ending up in a landfill somewhere.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-29-16 at 01:32 PM.

These folks may have also made copies on disks and decided to make some money on them. I would never sell any of my family photos.
    I would collect other's though who have historic buildings or places around them.

This particular collection has photos of the Ford Rotunda that are one of a kind.

Obviously, they come from somebody's old family photographs that, for whatever reason, have run out of family members interested in keeping them. What consistently amazes me is that there is an active market in buying and selling other people's old pictures.

Look around on ebay though, or in antique shops who deal in such ephemera, and you will definitely see that there is such a market. For my part I find it alternately fascinating [[mostly from a social-historical perspective - and the cool old cars) and creepy [[for many of the reasons you mention). Sites like Shorpy and others are out there to appeal strongly to this social-historical interest.

However, when I run into these collections of people's old family photos online, in antique stores, junk shops, or flea markets, one of the primary emotions I feel is sadness. Here are someone's once-beloved family members, engaged in activities that were once important to them, in photographs that were lovingly kept to look back on good times past and people they knew and loved. But now, with no one left to care for or about them or the people in them, they are dumped anonymously for sale by and to people who know nothing about the people in the pictures, and who those people can never know.

Then I look at the literally thousands of old family photographs in my dad's apartment. Going back several generations. Many of them containing pictures of people that none of us currently living recognize or can name. With declining family sizes, people moving to other parts of the country and the world, younger people much more interested in the newest media than boring photographs of people in a world they can no longer fathom, and older people from that world now all dying off, I wonder what is to become of all of these pictures once I'm gone and literally no one knows any of the people in them.

I suppose that being sold to someone with a caring hobbyists interest in old photos and the social history they contain, even if that means that all of the identities of the people involved are essentially erased, and/or that the pictures are published and used without anyone's knowledge and permission, is still quite preferable to having my family's whole recorded history ending up in a landfill somewhere.

Just couldn't resist taking that photo to Adobe Photoshop for a little color correction!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Just couldn't resist taking that photo to Adobe Photoshop for a little color correction!
    Nice work, Ray!

Awesome RAY! Cool digital image revision!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-16 at 05:19 PM.

<<Pats self on back>> Actually, only two clicks of the mouse once you know which menus to bring up. Here's an original of my pop from an old family album, about 1902, and after a little photoshop. This one was a bit more work, but certainly worth the effort. I've had some fun restoring some otherwise nasty-looking old prints.

i see old photos at antique shops, resale, estate sales, etc. all the time and just couldn't understand why family would get rid of them. i suppose if they have no clue who the people are it could be a reason to get rid of them. i do have several containers full of old family/friend photos. fornutantely, my mother and father wrote who they were and in some case, where the photos were taken, something of which i have continued to do along the way with mine.

Nice words. By putting them online, even for sale on eBay and others, chances of their continuity increase. Sites like http://archive.org and others, probably the NSA too, swoop up web content continually. For those looking to archive their own hard copy collections I can recommend http://www.scancafe.com/ having used them for slide, film and video. They also do corrections. As purist I worried a little about that but almost all their corrections affected little while greatly improving the images/video. The trick is to sign up for their email offers list where the regularly offer discounts of 20-30% and wait for what you want. They are delivered on nicely playable DVD's.

I absolutely love looking at these old slides for several reasons. 1) I love the retro stuff - the seemingly minute stuff in the background that remind me of when I was 10 yrs old staying at my grandparents home in Detroit for a few weeks every summer. Things like the print on window curtains, the labels on different foods in a picture of a kitchen, etc. 2) I look at the people and wonder what their story is. The older people in the pics are all passed now, but I look at, for example, a boy who might be 10 yrs old or so in a pic of 1950s Christmas time, and wonder where he is right now - did he stay in Detroit, the metro area, is he still even alive, etc. and lastly, 3) as someone said - the old cars. The colors that were popular back then, the chrome, the size and weight of these beasts, the quality etc. I don't think these photos are creepy at all.

Now, you have sites like these popping up for those photos of the unknowns:
    http://www.deadfred.com/index.php
    http://www3.familyoldphotos.com/

The slides have been relisted. Let me know if you have any questions about them. ok?
    Paulmcall@Comcast.net

Sunday is last day to bid on 1000 color slides of Detroit family history and a variety of historical sites around the metro area.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    The slides have been relisted. Let me know if you have any questions about them. ok?
    Paulmcall@Comcast.net

SOLD to the highest bidder.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Sunday is last day to bid on 1000 color slides of Detroit family history and a variety of historical sites around the metro area.

Last edited by black gold man; February-11-16 at 09:52 AM.

Looks to be a 55 or 56 Buick Special droptop, would fetch big money today in that condition.