Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 10 small businesses winners of Motor City Match grants

Once upon a time businesses didn't need government subsidies to "start up."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...eurs/79312386/

Once upon a time billionaires didn't need government subsidies either.

The Ilitch's got a 700K grant back in 2005 to tear down the Madison-Lenox with the stipulation that if the site wasn't rebuilt upon within 5 years the grant had to be paid back [[wink-wink). Still a parking lot.... and still no payback.

They also got some grant money to tear down the Adams Theatre and Fine Arts Building... although they had to keep the facade.... still more subsidized parking. I guess being a billionaire doesn't go as far as it used to. So no wonder small start up businesses need some handouts...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Once upon a time billionaires didn't need government subsidies either.

The Ilitch's got a 700K grant back in 2005 to tear down the Madison-Lenox with the stipulation that if the site wasn't rebuilt upon within 5 years the grant had to be paid back [[wink-wink). Still a parking lot.... and still no payback.

They also got some grant money to tear down the Adams Theatre and Fine Arts Building... although they had to keep the facade.... still more subsidized parking. I guess being a billionaire doesn't go as far as it used to. So no wonder small start up businesses need some handouts...
    The only time I can think of billionaires not needing [and getting] government welfare is before there were any.

I have always been amused at the nearness in sound of between MEGA [Michigan Economic Growth Authority] and the lottery game Mega Millions because the former is the state welfare office from where billionaires and big businesses collect their mega-millions winnings.

Quote Originally Posted by 467riverfix View Post
    Once upon a time businesses didn't need government subsidies to "start up."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...eurs/79312386/
    The vast majority of the funding is private. But why let facts get in the way of a good argument?