Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Could Detroit possibly land the new DowDupont headquarters?

I was reading an article recently on the newly formed DowDupont, the world's second largest chemical company after BASF. The article speculated that the dual headquarters will not last long, with Dow currently in Midland and DuPont in Wilmington, Delaware. The search will be on for the newly formed chemical giant's world headquarters city. I know it seems like a long shot, but i think Gilbert and Duggan should team up and put downtown Detroit in the running for the new headquarters! They already teamed up to bring Ally Bank downtown when it seemed certain the headquarters was heading for Southfield. It would be a net gain for Michigan, while unfortunately it would be a huge loss for Midland, but it's very unlikely they will chose to stay in either Wilmington or Midland. What are the possibilities?

Why would they leave what's a paradise for any big corporation [[Delaware) for Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Why would they leave what's a paradise for any big corporation [[Delaware) for Detroit?
    A corporate headquarters does not actually have to be located in Delaware to be incorporated there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    A corporate headquarters does not actually have to be located in Delaware to be incorporated there.
    But DuPont's already both headquartered and incorporated there.

With that in mind, I wouldn't see any benefit for them in moving to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    If Delaware is such a corporate paradise, then why aren't more big corporations headquartered there? DowDuPont may very well choose to stay in Delaware.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    If Delaware is such a corporate paradise, then why aren't more big corporations headquartered there?...

Delaware General Corporation Law
    Over 50% of publicly traded corporations in the United States and 60% of the Fortune 500 are incorporated in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Thanks for the info. But like DetroiterOnTheWestCoast stated, a company doesn't have to located in Delaware to be incorporated there. How many actual headquarters offices, with a sizable, significant workforce, does Delaware actually have?

Thanks for the info. But like DetroiterOnTheWestCoast stated, a company doesn't have to located in Delaware to be incorporated there. How many actual headquarters offices, with a sizable, significant workforce, does Delaware actually have?
    MegaChuckles. Besides which Delaware hasn't Big enough à footprint to even hold half the HQ's in the Youknighted States.

the laws in Delaware need to change.

In case it's not clear, it can be a DEL. corporation with a Detroit HQ. Just like, say, Ford. http://corporate.ford.com/microsites...-form-10-k.pdf

Mind_Field, it's a great thought. I'd say a full court press of Gilbert-Duggan-Snyder-Big 3 execs plus free rights to do whatever they like on Monroe Block, for example, could make this at least a possibility.

Obvious idea:

1) Detroit is hip, and might be just the right place if they want to attract young, educated people.
    2) Dow is from Michigan,
    3) DuPont has deep auto industry connections -- and I believe had/has a lot of money in auto.

For whatever reason, those types of companies like to be in the middle of nowhere. But Delaware probably makes the most sense from a logistics perspective.

Corporate mergers rarely work in Michigan [[let alone Detroit's) favor.

Burroughs merged with Sperry with co-location HQs... New Center and Blue Bell PA. Today the company [[Unisys) HQ [[and jobs) are in Blue Bell PA.

Kalamazoo's Upjohn and Pharmacia merged, later with Pfizer.... HQ in NYC.... soon to be Ireland.

I don't view a Dow/DuPont merger as a good thing for Michigan, let alone Detroit.
    Last edited by Gistok; January-25-16 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't view a Dow/DuPont merger as a good thing for Michigan, let alone Detroit.
    Bye bye Midland?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Obvious idea:

1) Detroit is hip, and might be just the right place if they want to attract young, educated people.
    2) Dow is from Michigan,
    3) DuPont has deep auto industry connections -- and I believe had/has a lot of money in auto.
    I really hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    the laws in Delaware need to change.
    Before you buy stock,make sure it is not issued in the state of Delaware.They can buy your stock back from you even if you do not want to sell it.

Could Detroit Possibly Land The New DowDupont Headquarters?

Naw, I see Ireland as a possibility...

http://www.americansfortaxfairness.org/files/ATF-Corporate-Tax-Inversions-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    In case it's not clear, it can be a DEL. corporation with a Detroit HQ. Just like, say, Ford. http://corporate.ford.com/microsites...-form-10-k.pdf

Mind_Field, it's a great thought. I'd say a full court press of Gilbert-Duggan-Snyder-Big 3 execs plus free rights to do whatever they like on Monroe Block, for example, could make this at least a possibility.
    I would agree, get in the game and attempt to make a deal. If you don't try you get nothing. The 2.4% of the income is the target, that's where the money is, worst they settle for half. Monroe block sounds great as long as their are X amount of employees working out of the building for X amount of years

Nearly impossible to get the folks from Wilmington to move to Michigan. DuPont has been manufacturing products there since 1800 and they own the town. Would be like having Ford HQ move to Omaha.

Plenty of cultural attractions were provided by E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company [[DuPont) starting with Longwood Gardens, Winterthur Museum, Nemours Mansion, Hagley Museum, etc. Then there is nearby Chesapeake Bay and restaurants serving crab cakes.

And for train enthusiasts Philadelphia, Annapolis, Baltimore, D.C. and points beyond are easily reached.

The University of Delaware is just down the street to provide a college vibe and a great education.

Yeah, when Ford moves to Omaha, then DuPont will move to Detroit. Sorry for the wake-up call.

I don't see them moving from Midland or Delaware. Some consolidation will happen but those two areas have established talent bases you can't just find anywhere.

I was reading an article recently on the newly formed DowDupont, the world's second largest chemical company after BASF. The article speculated that the dual headquarters will not last long, with Dow currently in Midland and DuPont in Wilmington, Delaware. The search will be on for the newly formed chemical giant's world headquarters city. I know it seems like a long shot, but i think Gilbert and Duggan should team up and put downtown Detroit in the running for the new headquarters! They already teamed up to bring Ally Bank downtown when it seemed certain the headquarters was heading for Southfield. It would be a net gain for Michigan, while unfortunately it would be a huge loss for Midland, but it's very unlikely they will chose to stay in either Wilmington or Midland. What are the possibilities?

To be fair, there was some fodder a while back, before the merger, that DuPont was looking to leave Delaware....its its not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

I thought the plan was to merge the 2 chemical companies together and then split them into 3 new companies based on product lines. So there is a possibility of ending up with 3 headquarters. one in MI, One in Delaware and a third to be named later.

So reading some more about this, the plan actually seems to be to, after merging, break the company up into three separate companies.

"After the merger, the company plans to divide into separate entities. One would be an agricultural company with an estimated revenue of $19 billion, while the other two would concentrate on material science with $51 billion in revenue and specialty products with $13 billion in revenue.

The subsequent separation of DowDuPont into three separate companies is expected to occur 18 months to two years following the closing of the merger."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...uals/77138072/

"Breen revealed that the specialty products business will be based in Wilmington, Delaware, and the material science business will be based in Midland, Michigan. The companies are still deciding where to headquarter the agriculture business."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/m...ow-merger.html

I don't know what "specialty products" are, but material science is a big deal and will increasingly become a bigger deal as time goes on. If what I've quoted is true, Michigan will get the better deal in this merger/spinoff, from what I can tell anyway.

The other thing is that if you look at Midland in google maps there's the HQ but there's also this gigantic conglomeration of... stuff. I have no idea what any of it does, but if its activities are connected to the HQ somehow then that means the HQ isn't going anywhere.

And then the final thing I read worth mentioning is that in December DuPont laid off 1,700 Delaware employees.