Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: 76 Stations

Default 76 Stations

I was just on the gas price site that was linked to in another thread and I noticed several stations around here with the 76 name. This appears to have happened somewhat very recently, as the only station that had the 76 name on Google Street View was one at Grand River and Evergreen.

Some of these new 76 stations appear to have been previously Clark stations. Most of the stations so far are in Detroit proper but there are also outposts in at least Highland Park, Flat Rock and two in River Rouge.

Has anyone else started seeing the 76 name pop up yet?
    Last edited by mtburb; January-22-16 at 01:23 PM.

There are 3 that I've seen personally on the east side of Detroit, and then there's the Gulf gas station in 8 mile and Gratiot. A few Exxon stations havr popped uo in the last few years also.

There were 76 gas stations all over Detroit as well until the late 90s, and then most of them were all coverted over to BP [[pre-Amoco merger) gas stations at the time.
    Last edited by 313WX; January-22-16 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    There were 76 gas stations all over Detroit as well until the late 90s, and then most of them were all coverted over to BP [[pre-Amoco merger) gas stations at the time.
    Some 76 stations down here were converted to Citgo stations and were in turn converted to Valero stations a few years later.

FWIW, 76, Conoco, and Phillips 66 are all the same company.

Some 76 eye candy.....

http://tinyurl.com/jpvwksq

Ray1936: Actually, Phillips 66does own the 76 brand but ConocoPhillips [[COP) is not involved,

Three or four years ago COP spun off its refining and marketing operations, and created a new public company, Phillips 66, which is now a separate publically held company. Big mistake on COP's part in my opinion. COP is now an exploration and production company.

It's just a brand. The gasoline all comes from the same place. The only difference is the detergents they add to the truckload before it delivers to the station.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Some 76 eye candy.....

http://tinyurl.com/jpvwksq
    Funny thing, I was thinking of the 76 ball logo recently. Here's another cool page:http://www.savethe76ball.com/

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Funny thing, I was thinking of the 76 ball logo recently. Here's another cool page:http://www.savethe76ball.com/
    That is interesting. I didn't realize people were so passionate about that logo. It faded out of my memory until this thread.

Gasoline does not come from "all the same places."

MI is served by two crude oil pipelines and several refined product pipeline, which bring gasoline from several refineries.

Most gasoline comes from the Exxon-Mobil refinery in Joliet, IL and the BP refinery in Whiting, IN. Although all the gasoline goes through the same pipeline, the E-M products are separated from the BP gas by "pigs" which isolate the products from each other. Each refinery formulates its gasoline somewhat differently depending of the grade of crude from which it's refined, the weather and other factors. Gasoline from those two refineries are sold through jobbers to many differently branded stations.

We also get a lot of product from the BP Toledo refinery.

MI's one refinery, Marathon, receives crude from Canada and a couple other pipelines. It's gas is also sold through jobbers to many differently branded stations.

MI and Detroit gave millions of our tax dollars to Marathon several years ago to induce it to expand its refinery to crack Canadian [[low quality) crude oil. It was not necessary to do that. I recall Marathon spent $7 billion to acquire a 20% interest in many thousands of acres of Canadian tar sands leases in order to gain access to that source. It then had to decide whether to build a new refinery in Canada to refine its crude or move the crude to Detroit for refining. It was a no-brainer as it was far less expensive to expand its Detroit refinery to be able to refine the low grade crude than to build a new refinery in Canada. So, it would have done what it did without any tax incentives, which we just pissed away.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Ray1936: Actually, Phillips 66does own the 76 brand but ConocoPhillips [[COP) is not involved,

Three or four years ago COP spun off its refining and marketing operations, and created a new public company, Phillips 66, which is now a separate publically held company. Big mistake on COP's part in my opinion. COP is now an exploration and production company.
    Correction noted. Thx!

Ray, I knew that because I owned COP stock, and sold my spun-off Phillips 66 shares at a nice profit. Bad move on my part. My profits on that deal don't begin to cover my paper losses on the COP shares I kept. It's the refiners today that are making all the money with the low crude prices, not the producers.

Yep, a station near work recently changed from a Clark to Union 76, the same owner has a Sunoco station less than a mile away. No surprise, all are filled by the same fuel distributor....

As a kid, I wanted to put the little styrofoam 76 ball on our antenna. My dad refused because he was sure the wind drag would rip the antenna out of the car. It was an AMC - he might have been right.

Hah! I had a Chevrolet Chevette and the whole turn signal knob just came off completely. And prematurely the shock towers rusted thru and I had to have metal sections welded to area to extend time of driving the thing.

I did not dare touch the antenna to affix anything to it!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-16 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Yep, a station near work recently changed from a Clark to Union 76, the same owner has a Sunoco station less than a mile away. No surprise, all are filled by the same fuel distributor....
    Would you happen to be referring to the station in Fenton? I was driving through there this week and thanks to construction, I was detoured onto Leroy Street. I passed a 76 station and was quite agog. I was starting to think I was in a "Twilight Zone" episode and had gone back in time! Google street view does show this as a Clark station but that image was from June, 2009.

Just found out that a former Welcome station on Telegraph near the Taylor Sportsplex has just changed to 76 also.

Would you happen to be referring to the station in Fenton? I was driving through there this week and thanks to construction, I was detoured onto Leroy Street. I passed a 76 station and was quite agog. I was starting to think I was in a "Twilight Zone" episode and had gone back in time! Google street view does show this as a Clark station but that image was from June, 2009.
    He may be talking about the 7 mile / Schoenherr "76" and 6 mile / Schoenherr "Sunoco."

He may be talking about the 7 mile / Schoenherr "76" and 6 mile / Schoenherr "Sunoco."

I was at the 7 mile location just the other day.

I was thinking I would like to have that 76 sign.

A few years ago I seen a Datsun sign flint craigslist no pic but I new it was from the 70s and
    made the deal on the phone for 250 site unseen. He wanted 500.

I loved that sign but put it on ebay it sold BIN 1500 in a few min.

My mention of a former Lawson's at Pennsylvania and Quarry that thread has now taken me back to when there was a 76 station across Quarry from Lawson's. It became a Citgo in 1997 and a Valero early in 2007.