Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2016 Detroit Tigers

The 2016 Tigers are retooling with a new GM. Today a final and big piece of their puzzle was filled by the signing of 3 time NL all start Justin Upton who will be the starting left fielder.

This follows on the signing of a top starter, Jordan Zimmerman, and rebuilding the disappointing bullpen with veteran closer Francisco Rodríguez and Mark Lowe.

The Tigers lost no significant players of an otherwise solid team so are we back on top in 2016? [Throwing a few slabs in the hot stove.]

Illitch is obsessed with "Stars". That's fine though. 3 players making over $20M a year [[Verlander, Cabrera, Upton) and V-mart close to it. That's smart spending for a market that can't support that kind of payroll.

Here's to a season that will exceed the luxury tax, and a team that probably won't make the playoffs again unless it's a wildcard spot, and even that I think is a longshot.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Illitch is obsessed with "Stars". That's fine though. 3 players making over $20M a year [[Verlander, Cabrera, Upton) and V-mart close to it. That's smart spending for a market that can't support that kind of payroll.

Here's to a season that will exceed the luxury tax, and a team that probably won't make the playoffs again unless it's a wildcard spot, and even that I think is a longshot.
    Ilitch is the best owner in sports period. No other owner in a small/mid market like Detroit would spend like this. He clearly hasn't given up on this team's championship window and I thank him for that.

As far as the Upton signing, it's a great signing for this team because it fills a gapaing hole in LF. There's even an opt out clause in the contract after two years [[Al Avila does it again, so far he's done a hell of a job as the new GM). Upton is four years younger than Gordon and two than Cespedes [[the other free agents) so even if he doesn't opt out I'd rather have him. Pitching is still a bit of question mark, but good lord that lineup with Kinsler, Miggy, JD, Upton, V-Mart, Iglesias, and with potential improvements from McCann and Castellanos. Defense should be the best we've had in years and this team is definitely looking like a contender again.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitjeff View Post
    Ilitch is the best owner in sports period. No other owner in a small/mid market like Detroit would spend like this. He clearly hasn't given up on this team's championship window and I thank him for that.

As far as the Upton signing, it's a great signing for this team because it fills a gapaing hole in LF. There's even an opt out clause in the contract after two years [[Al Avila does it again, so far he's done a hell of a job as the new GM). Upton is four years younger than Gordon and two than Cespedes [[the other free agents) so even if he doesn't opt out I'd rather have him. Pitching is still a bit of question mark, but good lord that lineup with Kinsler, Miggy, JD, Upton, V-Mart, Iglesias, and with potential improvements from McCann and Castellanos. Defense should be the best we've had in years and this team is definitely looking like a contender again.
    There's no denying he's the best/one of the best owners in pro sports. We truly are blessed that he runs his teams like a fan and not a businessman.

However, spending $142M on 7 players isn't exactly the way to build a team. Upton's 2 year out clause allows him to opt out if he puts up monster numbers and cash in before he's 30. Cabrera is a year older, so who knows how any one of his nagging injuries will impede him. V-Mart is playing on two surgically repaired knees. Verlander, although he had a quiet yet very nice season last year, still needs to prove that that was what we can expect, and not an anomaly. Iglesias, although stellar defensively, can't hit.

I'd think we should be cautiously optimistic, but Kansas City is still way ahead of the Tigers IMO. They were also supposed to be an offensive dynamo last year, and they were middle of the pack. Everything on paper looks better, but that doesn't mean the product on field will be. Prince Fielder anyone???

The Tigers have definitely improved their starting pitching and bullpen. Upton will not not produce what Cespedes did before the trade last year, but hopefully will be solid. The key thing is whether VMart can return to his 2014 form. If he doesn't, the offense won't be good enough. And the worst factor is that Ausmus is a terrible manager, so the players the Tigers do have may not necessarily be used in the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    The Tigers have definitely improved their starting pitching and bullpen. Upton will not not produce what Cespedes did before the trade last year, but hopefully will be solid. The key thing is whether VMart can return to his 2014 form. If he doesn't, the offense won't be good enough. And the worst factor is that Ausmus is a terrible manager, so the players the Tigers do have may not necessarily be used in the best way.
    I have the same anxieties. Sanchez is another uncertainty. He is brilliant when he is on, but he always seems to end up on the DL. For us to succeed, we will still need an x-factor, some young players [Norris? Catellanos?] to emerge and have superstar years while the rest play up to their usual skills. Still holding my breath on the bullpen in spite of the improvements.

We need to wait and see on the bullpen. That could go either way, although thank god we no longer have to deal with Joe Nathan and that salary. Maybe I'm a little pessimistic, but the backside of the rotation doesn't instill much confidence in me. Zimmerman is coming from the NL, maybe doesn't know the hitters all that well. Pelfry, who knows. Norris is the wild card. If he can have a good year, they might have a decent rotation.

Justin Upton's history shows he's streaky as hell. He could hit 10 HR's in the 1st month of the season, then not hit another until June. He also strikes out a lot. He has power, and usually finishes the season strong, and is in his peak years at 28. I think I'd rather have re-signed Cespedes though, as he's a better defensive outfielder. But who knows? Maybe it will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Justin Upton's history shows he's streaky as hell. He could hit 10 HR's in the 1st month of the season, then not hit another until June. He also strikes out a lot. He has power, and usually finishes the season strong, and is in his peak years at 28. I think I'd rather have re-signed Cespedes though, as he's a better defensive outfielder. But who knows? Maybe it will work out.
    I've heard rumblings that they didn't believe Cespedes's age. Players from Latin America, Cuba don't always come with birth certificates.

BTW, when are the Tigers supposed to be at the Auto Show???

In the D.C. area we are expected to get a foot or more of snow and blizzard conditions Friday and Saturday, so I thought maybe I'd come to Detroit to escape the D.C. weather. [[how about that for out of the box thinking????).