Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Glenn Frey Has Died

Detroit born, Royal Oak raised. We have lost another great musician.

Family lore has it that he and my aunt dated briefly in the 1960s. He worked at a gas station near the family house and that's where they met. He went to Dondero and she went to Shrine. Her claim to fame.

~http://pitchfork.com/news/62999-the-...-frey-has-died

yeah, wow. just saw that on the news.

Time to find the Best of the Hideout CD and play the Mushrooms in his honor.

Now he has a peaceful, easy feeling for eternity.

When I was just out of college I worked for First Federal of Detroit.

I closed a mortgage loan for Glenn when he was buying a house in Royal Oak for his mother. Frankly, I couldn't figure out why he didn't just pay cash for the place.

Default It was the golden age

I just read the 2003 Free Press interview with Glenn Frey where he details his early days growing up in Detroit. "It was the golden age," Frey said of that Detroit rock era.

We both graduated from high school the same year, 1966, me from Cass Tech and him from Dondero High School and I can agree that the 1960’s had to be the best time to be growing up in the Detroit area. Rock & Roll and GTO’s.

Name:  Hideout-1.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  60.5 KB

Now I'm left to wonder where folks go to dance obscenely and what exactly that would entail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Now I'm left to wonder where folks go to dance obscenely and what exactly that would entail.
    There are multiple venues on 8 Mile.

I was never a fan of the Eagles - too much of a laid-back SoCal vibe for my taste - but I would never question their musicianship. Truly talented musicians, whatever one thinks of their musical genre.

In the fall of 78 I was camping with some friends up north, and when we drove into Tawas City to look around there was a huge boat docked there named "Hotel California", with a giant pot leaf painted on the stern. I've wondered since whether the boat was Frey's, with the name a tribute to the song and album that bought the boat for him.

Has there ever been a rock guitar player who could really play more than just three chords on his git-tar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Has there ever been a rock guitar player who could really play more than just three chords on his git-tar?
    Joe Walsh

Default Year book pics

I found the Dondero High 1966 year book on the Classmates.com site which had two pictures of him.

Name:  Glen Frey.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  10.3 KB

Name:  Glen Frey-2.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  64.9 KB

I notice that the twin sister of Eminem's wife Kim Mathers is also deceased. Found dead in a trailer park as a result of a recent drug overdose: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...dies/79154314/