Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Light Up Another Building On His Model. Gilbert Strikes in Corktown

"The billionaire Dan Gilbert, who is a major force in downtown real estate, has bought a huge Corktown-area property that includes three buildings and two surface lots centered around West Fort Street and Rosa Parks Boulevard.

The purchase signals that Gilbert’s Bedrock Real Estate Services continues to look beyond the central business district and into adjoining neighborhoods, specifically Corktown to the west and Brush Park to the north."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2016/01/13/bedrock-corktown/78738386/

If I win Powerball tonight I'm gonna go tit for tat with this guy.

I already said if I win I'm buying a skyscraper downtown and naming it after myself.

I imagine this will be residential up top and commercial space on the ground. The area has seen some activity so this is probably a very good buy.

so how much will the lofts cost anyone interested?

Default Gilberttown annexed A Corktown warehouse building.

Dan Gilbert's Bedrock Holdings just brought a Old Packard Warehouse Building in W. Fort St. near Rosa Parks Bvld. At the Corktown District just across the Salvation Army Detroit HQ. Gilberttown is growing beyond Downtown [[Gilberttown Detroit).

Way to go Gilbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Dan Gilbert's Bedrock Holdings just brought a Old Packard Warehouse Building in W. Fort St. near Rosa Parks Bvld. At the Corktown District just across the Salvation Army Detroit HQ. Gilberttown is growing beyond Downtown [[Gilberttown Detroit).

Way to go Gilbert.
    Danny the building was not a Packard property but the Edson, Moore & Company Building. I am happy this building has an owner that will spend money on a good rehab.

1) Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls. Edson, Moore & Company Building 1700 West Fort built in 1920 West Side Industrial Detroit, MI.
    2) An image of the building from a book on Bryant & Detwiler Construction Company published in 1921.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks like the old railway butted up against the West facade. Was wondering why the building had that design.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Looks like the old railway butted up against the West facade. Was wondering why the building had that design.
    it's for the rail tunnel to windsor

i was recently at the lisa spindler gallery for an event. the building is pretty empty and raw in its current state. however the view out to the river and ambassador bridge are indeed stellar.
    Last edited by hybridy; January-14-16 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    it's for the rail tunnel to windsor

i was recently at the lisa spindler gallery for an event. the building is pretty empty and raw in its current state. however the view out to the river and ambassador bridge are indeed stellar.
    Yes, the tunnel goes under. But there were also above ground tracks at one point that ran next to the tunnel where it went underneath, and those tracks continued to one of the riverfront train yards, past Gilbert's new building.

Name:  tunnel13.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  39.1 KB

Hopefully the MCS train station is next.

Speaking of the railway right of way, has anyone heard anything about building a potential greenway/bike path spur running from the riverwalk to MCS?

Here's a link describing the idea: http://www.m-bike.org/blog/2012/10/0...verwalk-trail/

Seems like a pretty lucrative deal if a bike path gets built next to this building.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Yes, the tunnel goes under. But there were also above ground tracks at one point that ran next to the tunnel where it went underneath, and those tracks continued to one of the riverfront train yards, past Gilbert's new building.
    Perhaps they connected with the Norfolk/Western track running S of Fort and headed into/towards Union Station?

When the rebuilt Rosa Parks years ago, I was surprised they put those bridges in [[12th & Lafayette?). I don't think a train nor tracks every has run under those expensive bridges. But the ROW is there -- and the idea of a connector is excellent.