Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 2016 Detroit Lions

It is clear now that undeniably the Lions are entering a new era.

When Martha Ford shook the bad fruit out of the tree and ripped a branch out of The New England Patriots tree then grafted it in with the hiring of Bob Quinn as Lions General Manager. Ernie sure had high praise.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nf...uinn/78600250/
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; January-10-16 at 07:41 PM.

Well, it's not winning but Martha has no problem with making changes like they never have before.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ders/85832508/

A win on the road is still a win no matter how many times you thought they blew it during the game. Against the Colts there were many. Nice to see Stafford screaming at his players on offense when bonehead clock management is actually happening. Defense needs to stop looking at the scoreboard and thinking that the game is won in the 2nd quarter, that won't work in this league. Next up, Titans at Ford Field a legitimate shot at a 2-0 start.

Did I see an offensive line?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    For this game at least. They kept Stafford clean all game. Hopefully it continues. The defense needs to improve, can't give up 25 pts in the 2nd half and expect to win, they got lucky this time.

Even though the D gave up points, I predict the team will go as far as the OL takes them. I don't worry about the D. I don't worry about Stafford. I would love to see Stafford play on a great team.

It was a miracle win for us.
    You can nitpick all you want [[I could plenty) but this was a nice victory.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Even though the D gave up points, I predict the team will go as far as the OL takes them. I don't worry about the D. I don't worry about Stafford. I would love to see Stafford play on a great team.

It was a nice victory! How many close games have we seen the Lions not have the ability to finish or stop the opposition's surge? They stuck through on this one and fought to the end for a quality victory. [[even though our secondary can't make tackles)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Yeah, Stafford had lots of time in the pocket. Didn't see to much defense from either side though.

Can't get over- excited about the Lions, been there, done that, usually doesn't turn out too good.

Another pitiful loss to the Bears no less.... I'm inclined to believe, that Jim Caldwell isn't the right coach of this team. They make too many mental mistakes, with penalties at the most in-opportune times. They need someone with some fire and kick-ass to coach this team. The defense made Brian Hoyer look like Aaron Rodgers out there, with no pressure on him, and receivers left wide open. He played pitch and catch all day. And to make matters worse, they let a 5th rnd pick RB, run all over them for 115 yards. The Tigers can't hit when it counts, and they've been eliminated PO contention. I can't wait until the Pistons season starts. This Lions team is in shambles and we're only 4 games in....
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-02-16 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Another pitiful loss to the Bears no less.... I'm inclined to believe, that Jim Caldwell isn't the right coach of this team. They make too many mental mistakes, with penalties at the most in-opportune times. They need someone with some fire and kick-ass to coach this team. The defense made Brian Hoyer look like Aaron Rodgers out there, with no pressure on him, and receivers left wide open. He played pitch and catch all day. And to make matters worse, they let a 5th rnd pick RB, run all over them for 115 yards. The Tigers can't hit when it counts, and they've been eliminated PO contention. I can't wait until the Pistons season starts. This Lions team is in shambles and we're only 4 games in....
    If they cant beat Tennessee, who are terrible, and they can't beat they Bears who are worse, you have to ask yourself, who can this team beat?

Actually if it wasn't for a miracle against Indy, they would be 0 and 4.

Don't matter to me any more. After all the disrespect to the nation and the National Anthem and all their raised fists, I'm done with the NFL forever. 30% thugs.

Name:  2016-10-02 15.05.30-1.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  78.0 KB. Vintage Lions today.

Eagles fans travel well. Downtown seemed inundated with them this past weekend. They are more friendly and interested in Detroit then our usual division foes from my conversations with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Don't matter to me any more. After all the disrespect to the nation and the National Anthem and all their raised fists, I'm done with the NFL forever. 30% thugs.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but I see no disrespect.

so when does the general manager get put on the hot seat?

Hoping for the best for the current coach; but by year's end, if it's time for Caldwell to go, realistically who is the "best" replacement that can do a radical turnaround? Is that even feasible with the current lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so when does the general manager get put on the hot seat?

Hoping for the best for the current coach; but by year's end, if it's time for Caldwell to go,
    I agree with you on Caldwell, I don't think he's a good fit and predict that he'll be gone, but as far as Quin, he's been on the job less than a year. General managers normally get at least 2-3 seasons at the very minimum, as you can't overhaul the roster overnight. And quite honestly, I think Quin has done pretty good so far. The Marvin Jones signing looks fantastic.

He is getting praised for the three big re-signs he did, Slay, Martin, and Riddick. Those are all very well regarded players and nobody has accused the Lions of overpaying.

You could knock Quin down some points for keeping Caldwell, but I think that he was more interested in making sure that Cooter stayed than Caldwell. Could also be that he's waiting for someone to free up in the offseason [[McDaniels, maybe?)

The draft doesn't look half bad:
    Decker, while having had some 'rookie' mistakes, is doing pretty good and if he continues to improve, should more than justify his draft spot.

Glasnow looked pretty good on Sunday though admittedly that was a small sample size.

Washington looked pretty good for a 7th round pick having contributed solidly to the running game before he got hurt.

Robinson was a good value pick in the 2nd round. Antwoine Williams didn't look great in play but got shoved into the lineup out of necessity and will need seasoning. I think Killibrew will be a good rotational player in certain packages with some experience.

I know he caught some heat for drafting both Rudock and the long snapper, but those were both so late in the draft and they could both turn into future roster spots, so I'm fine with giving him a pass on those.

So bottom line, I think Quin has done about all he can given the time he's been here.

Not really looking that great while doing it, but first place in December is... well, first place.

I think they got the division won. I think there's going to be a home playoff game in January. I don't think they can screw this up. I can believe I'm saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think they got the division won. I think there's going to be a home playoff game in January. I don't think they can screw this up. I can believe I'm saying this.
    I would like them to win the division as well, but they have 3 killer road games left. @ Saints, @ Giants and @ Cowboys. Minnesota has a far easier schedule, They are @ Jaguars, @ Packers. They are home for Cowboys, Colts and Bears. Lions have Bears and Packers as remaining home games. Those 3 road games are key, if they could win 2 of them. Don't see them beating Dallas at home.

Hold serve at home and I think they'll have it. I see them losing all the road games and ending 9-7 tied with Vikes and winning the division. Hope so anyway, because I would really like to see this town go crazy with a home playoff game.

Saints put up 49 pts on the Rams yesterday. Lions need to be on their "A" game facing Drew Brees next week, as they are in the playoff hunt as well...

This game has now come and just gone and surprisingly we were able to put up a huge win, 28-13, against the Saints...in fact this was the first time this season we didn't even trail in the fourth quarter at all.

And we're still division leaders [[aided by a Vikings loss on Thursday Night Football) despite wins by both the Bears and the Packers as well.

This leaves us with four regular season games left on the line: two remaining home games against the Bears and then a New Year's Day battle with the Packers for the season finale. Between those games are two more road games: first we travel to the Giants, then we are placed in a Monday Night Football [[only time this season) matchup hosted by the Cowboys.

Also note that for some reason WXYZ continues to air MNF games in which we make an appearance instead WJBK, which took over as the flagship last season.
    Last edited by mtburb; December-04-16 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    This game has now come and just gone and surprisingly we were able to put up a huge win, 28-13, against the Saints...in fact this was the first time this season we didn't even trail in the fourth quarter at all.<br>
    <br>
    And we're still division leaders [[aided by a Vikings loss on Thursday Night Football) despite wins by both the Bears and the Packers as well.<br>
    <br>
    This leaves us with four regular season games left on the line: two remaining home games against the Bears and then a New Year's Day battle with the Packers for the season finale. Between those games are two more road games: first we travel to the Giants, then we are placed in a Monday Night Football [[only time this season) matchup hosted by the Cowboys.<br>
    <br>
    Also note that for some reason WXYZ continues to air MNF games in which we make an appearance instead WJBK, which took over as the flagship last season.
    <br>
    Totally shocked about the way the season has gone, didn't see it coming at all. Since I've been alive the Lions have been to the playoffs several times but only won that one playoff game. If we get that home playoff game in January and they can pull off a win I'm not going to know what to think, maybe the earth is off its axis or something.

This game was astonishing defensively. Lions have a history of poor performance on the road against good teams and the Saints have an unquestionably very good offense and the Lions just smothered them! I can't even remember a game like this where it seemed there wasn't a single missed tackle. Teryl Austin had those guys ready.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast