Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Theodore's Family Dining @ 1201 griswold

anyone have any idea what plans are for this building? one of the last on capitol park without published plans. per curbed, its owned by mcdonald's

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2043
Size:  144.8 KB
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-park.php#more

That's actually a photo from July 2013, as noted by Google Maps. Here's an updated version of what it looks like now, from August 2015, courtesy of Google Maps.

Prime location in Capitol Park too. Would love to see residential here or a prime new building for office space. According to WhyDontWeOwnThis.com, it was built in 1972, owned by 1201 Griswold Street LLC and is up to date on taxes. Only 0.112 acres. If anything is going to be built up in Capitol Park, this would be a great spot.

https://makeloveland.com/us/mi/wayne.../detroit/68259

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 4.59.06 PM.jpg
Views: 1786
Size:  57.8 KB

Many many moons ago that building was the original downtown McDonalds. I'm surprised that, all these years later, it's still owned by the McDonalds Corp.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Many many moons ago that building was the original downtown McDonalds. I'm surprised that, all these years later, it's still owned by the McDonalds Corp.
    It was a McDonald's when I first ventured into downtown Detroit.

The Former Fast Food List website mentions that this became Ted's for a short time. Can anyone confirm when?

Karp and Associates has been quietly buying the properties in Capital park 1201 Griswold and 2 parking lots 1227 and 1428 Griswold are owned by them.

I recall when it was a Mcdonalds but not Teds. I wonder what the condition of it is inside. If flat roof leaking... ugh......
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-09-16 at 12:36 PM.

hopefully something will be done ASAP.

Looks like there's some movement on the two sites. Anyone hear of unit counts, model types, or a construction timeline?

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...-Capitol-Park/

wow. Well, if these folks can get to work on it, very nice.

This was a Peoples Federal Savings location in 1956 and remained one at least until 1970. The drawing in an ad [[12/25/56 Free Press) makes me think it was the original use of the building. It obviously replaced a taller building, as you can see by the blank area on 1211 Griswold next door. At some point it became a McDonald's, remaining one until early 1993, according to the Freep, when Theodore's Family Dining opened.

I'm sure that the new development was discussed here on another thread. A new apartment building is scheduled. Maybe I read about it in Curbed and not here. The building's rendering had it looking like it was going to tip over towards the park, with windows and side structures focused downward.

I remember when Mcdonalds were in that building in the 80s. There were 3 Mcdonalds in the downtown area. The Griswold location, the Congress location, and the one in the RenCen. This was in the day when affordable fast foods restaurants dominated the downtown area. Hardees were on Griswold, Arbys was on Washington Blvd and Michigan, Wendy's was on Michigan, and Burger King was on Cadillac Blvd in the Greyhound bus station. I think that these more affordable fast foods restaurants had been shut out of the downtown market saving the ones in the basement of the RenCen. More expensive restaurants are being allowed to open in the downtown area forcing many to brown bag their lunches.