Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who runs BarterTown?

Detroit’s Cass Tech closed due to sick-out

"Cass Technical High School is closed Tuesday due to a large number of teacher absences, Detroit Public Schools spokeswoman Michelle Zdrodowski confirmed."

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...tech/78294838/

DDOT drivers want city to reject expanded SMART service

"The union representing bus drivers in Detroit wants to stop a plan that would open key routes in the city for expanded service by the region's suburban bus system.

The move follows tense negotiations between the Regional Transit Authority of Southeast Michigan and the two transit agencies in the fall to shift $2.8 million in funding to allow for SMART to expand service on Woodward and Gratiot."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...vice/78276040/

Master Blaster runs Bartertown.

Glad someone got the reference...

Quote Originally Posted by BankruptcyGuy View Post
    Glad someone got the reference...
    It seems DPS is finally about to hit the wall. What do you think the likely outcomes are?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ents/78240726/

Who runs BarterTown?

Good one!

She do.....

Kenyetta [[K.C.) Wilbourn-Snapp

Last edited by Dan Wesson; January-05-16 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    It seems DPS is finally about to hit the wall. What do you think the likely outcomes are?

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ents/78240726/
    That's really a great question. Considering the Speaker of the House didn't have DPS in his list of 2016 priorities AT ALL, I can't see a big chunk of money going to DPS in anything close to the form that it's presently constituted.

On the other hand, I do recall that DPS leveraged a state program to lower their borrowing costs by leaning on the credit of the State of MI. If that's the case, those bonds wouldn't even be part of a bankruptcy/restructuring provision. The state's going to pay them 100% in full, one way or the other.

There are lots of theories of how to make it work, but in my mind, it boils down to this: you can't take kids who come to school one grade behind, teach them for the same hours per day and days per school year, with all the other things stacked against them, and expect them to catch up. They're falling further behind every year.

I'd love to see DPS blown up and replaced with an entirely new model--longer school days, longer school years, and promotion based on knowledge rather than age. If Detroit had such a school district, they'd have people busting down the doors to get in. But, as my dad would say, "that [opinion] and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee." Alas.

There are lots of theories of how to make it work, but in my mind, it boils down to this: you can't take kids who come to school one grade behind, teach them for the same hours per day and days per school year, with all the other things stacked against them, and expect them to catch up. They're falling further behind every year.

I'd love to see DPS blown up and replaced with an entirely new model--longer school days, longer school years, and promotion based on knowledge rather than age. If Detroit had such a school district, they'd have people busting down the doors to get in. But, as my dad would say, "that [opinion] and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee." Alas.
    Agreed but with some points of contention. First, most of the kids are more than one grade behind. Second, a longer school year is much easier said than done. There are students, parents, and teachers that would be against it for a variety of reasons.

That's really a great question. Considering the Speaker of the House didn't have DPS in his list of 2016 priorities AT ALL, I can't see a big chunk of money going to DPS in anything close to the form that it's presently constituted.

I don't think they will get very much either. If the state is legally on the hook for some of the debt then it makes any sort of cash infusion even less likely. I just hope this is not a years long process.

As far as the education model, I agree it needs a major overhaul. However, that's probably true for every urban district and many of the suburban ones as well. Sadly, there seems to be no political will to do that.

DPS, City of Detroit bankruptcy, all Michigan schools, and any/every school district under EM:

Nothing but pure Friction Lock tactic by Michigan Republican party.

Sad but true – Pure Michigan, y’all.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Agreed but with some points of contention. First, most of the kids are more than one grade behind. Second, a longer school year is much easier said than done. There are students, parents, and teachers that would be against it for a variety of reasons.
    I understand why teachers are against it: their workday extends beyond school hours as it is. But that's not unique to this business--many industries deal with how much work the employees are willing to put in versus customer expectations. I think that could be managed around [[but for union contract requirements).

Students against it? Sure, but they love snow days, too.

What arguments would parents make against it? I can see the "let kids be kids in the summer" discussion, but for many urban parents, summer is when bad news strikes. Am I missing something?

I understand why teachers are against it: their workday extends beyond school hours as it is. But that's not unique to this business--many industries deal with how much work the employees are willing to put in versus customer expectations. I think that could be managed around [[but for union contract requirements).

Students against it? Sure, but they love snow days, too.

What arguments would parents make against it? I can see the "let kids be kids in the summer" discussion, but for many urban parents, summer is when bad news strikes. Am I missing something?
    I know of EAA students/parents that left for DPS "because the school year was too long" [[only August off, with small breaks in June and July). Likewise, I know of teachers that wouldn't teach there for the same reason. For teachers, the reasons included "having summer off as part of why he/she became a teacher", family vacation time lining up [[kids at other schools), and time off making up for longer hours during the school year [[as you mentioned).