Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Film Theories

Default Film Theories

Permission granted to get geeky with full abandonment on this one. There are already tons of these sites online. Many of them use series cross-over theories [[Was Willy Wonka really the surviving Weasley Twin from Harry Potter? http://www.cracked.com/article_22658...-theories.html), while others get way-off-basehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_237. Feel free to point out any suspected Easter Eggs in films no one else seems to bring up.

Maybe even if you aren't a big film fan, any theories of what made a movie good or bad [[or could've been better-yes, yes remove the Ewoks and Jar-Jar.) would be appreciated. Even theories of what was left out of some films adapted from books or real events would be prized input.

If one were to go off the deep-end, one can theorize what would happen if certain hypothetical movies were to be made and what would make them ideal [[like a film on the Purple Gang or if a recent Dr. Who film were to be made, who would top Tom Baker's role?).

My own theories include:

Was there a serious plot-hole at the end of Sleepy Hollow when the villain admits faking own death then hoping to be the surviving heir?-maybe I just need to re-watch that one.

Was Detective John Williams really innocent in the Lynch film Blue Velvet? Aside from having a corrupt police partner, he was nonchalant about seeing an ear in a bag. His daughter tells Jeffery it has to do with singer Dorothy. Thus, all the details pertaining to a dire kidnapping situation are laid-out, yet little is being done to handle it by the police. Watch the film and trace the back the epistemology and order of events. Something is off...

I have a theory that the real under-bedding to Zombieland had nothing to do with zombies. They already break major zombie film rules by explaining how the outbreak occurs and by referring to them as zombies. The three major parties of characters introduced are 1.) someone who follows a set of rules. 2.) a sort of Shaolin type who keeps reaching for certain ideals [[Twinkie) while yearning for an idolized child lost, and 3.) an aloof pair that want to retreat to a childlike repose, which lands them on some sort of block-shaped tower. That and a certain bow by a celebrity who has been pursuing spiritual development since a failed movie from the 80's and a decent film set in Japan in the last 15 years, hints to more. Do the three parties represent the three major Asiatic philosophies- Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism? Are the Zombies the unenlightened masses guided by base animalistic impulses?

Greaser's Palace by Robert Downey Sr. seems like a parody of Spaghetti Westerns written by Lenny Bruce and put together by drop-outs from Captain Beefheart's Magic Band. Yet, Robert [[who was kind enough to put his own son in a scene as a massacred boy) seems to be parodying the two worst misrepresentations of Christianity that were occurring in the late 60's and early 70's with a lot of the Jesus Freak movements. He takes this American attempt at restorationism [[so close to the Bicentennial celebration) that was happening in America [[an image popular with a lot of conservatives that embodied itself with the whole Little House on the Prairie rustic feeling that permeated many areas) and that would only run so far back retrospectively to this down-homey bold frontier-ism [[when, I guess, America was supposed to be so ideal?!), and then, he'd take the gaudy technicolor hippie bisexual Jesus imagery oozing from Godsend and Jesus Christ Superstar and sort of mash them up together into this hideous synthesis to show how disharmonious they truly are in nature to the truth. What you end up with is an abomination that spurs you to delve and investigate a more credulous version of Christianity deducted from the mutation you see before you. It's still a funny movie with outlandishly surreal moments http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...-You-Heal.htmland beautiful landscape scenes [[especially when you get to see a young Toni Basil riding topless on a horse coming over the horizon.). Features Alan "Dr. Sidney" Arbus, Hervé Jean-Pierre Villechaize, and Michael Sullivan of Cloud Studios [[former National Lampoon contributors).

Ever wondered how the James Bond series would've been if the first few were Black & White and had Cary Grant as 007?

How's this for a title for a Purple Gang film: "Violence is Red, Corpses are Blue."?

With the passing of David Bowie, I'm reminded of an strange film co-inky-dink. As many odd serendipities have haunted me at certain key cruxes in my life, I remember renting two movies in close proximity from each other from Thomas Video. First was Man Who Fell to Earth which was uh, muddled [[had an odd dream last night that I needed to fetch water from an old school I went to and I had to touch down-like a parachute landing-onto the front yard of it), but it had an odd scene [[not the multiple T.V. scene, which I admit was good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15MD5eu_-UI)where Bowie's dissipated character [[Tom, as in "Major Tom") is under house arrest visited by his estranged wife. They are playing ping pong [[does he have suspenders on?) in a room with forest-pattern wallpaper. At one point his upset wife blurts, "You're just going to die here! You're going to die here like a dumb animal!"

Later on, I rented Miller's Crossing by the Coen Bros., which had the iconic scene of Byrne's character [[also named Tom) leading Turturro's character [[wearing suspenders) into the deep woods to be executed. All the while, Turturro's character is pleading "Don't let me die here! Don't let me die here like a dumb animal!" Odd.

Than again, the Coen Bros. slyly make references to many other movies [[including their own with the Fargo series on TV), like when the cape of Tom Hank's recently killed villain in Ladykiller's goes flapping off into the rising sun is a reference to Dracula.

^^^Also, I forgot....when "the Dude" goes into his major roofie-induced flashback scene in "The Big Lebowski". The scene starts with him sauntering around the corner of an odd set that looks like giant chipped slabs and casting a big shadow. This set was a commonly re-used set in "The Incredibly Shrinking Man". It only emphasizes that "The Big Lebowski" refers to the big shot in the wheelchair, while he, himself, is "The Dude". Yet, his shadow reveals that he is bigger in far more sublime and lasting reasons.

Is it me or is most of the cast in "Earth Girls are Easy" made of folks who were passed-over or dumped from Saturday Night Live?

Geena Davis, Julie Brown and Jim Carrey?

Hardly rejects.

Having a bad turn with SNL is not such a bad thing after all. Geena was passed over for sexologist, Pamela Stephenson. Jim claims his game was thrown off by some NBC employee's suicide attempt as he approached the location of his audition.

When Damon Wayans was fired, Tom Davis accurately predicted that he probably be doing movie deals within a few years.

I feel for the ones who were a part of it, left/were fired, and decided show business was not for them and became domestic.

Decent writers also got the shaft from SNL, only to do better elsewhere. Larry David is the most obvious. Than there is Peter Tauber, Sean Kelly [[National Lampoon), and Mason Williams who worked briefly under Jean Doumanian's cursed heading of the show. Tauber felt like he was getting threatened by Jean's underlings and tried to have a writer's uprising, while Williams [[of the Smother's Brothers) felt SNL had become like a "head shop at Sears". Terry Southern [[The Loved One and Dr. Strangelove)-whom Tim Kazurinsky said had a wonderful wet bar running out of his office-was denied bold political humor by Dick Ebersole.