Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Cousin Esther in Detroit 1937

I recently received a diary of Cousin Esther's. I never met her. She was my Great-Grandmother's cousin I think.

Anyway, her diary is from 1937. She was a nightclub and hotel entertainer, mostly in and around St. Louis. She spent a few days in Detroit in 1937. Anyway, here are her entries from those few days:

Sunday, October 3, 1937
    "Received a most unwelcome reception in Detroit from Mary Lou"

Monday, October 4, 1937
    "Second day of Mrs. Scotts most disagreeable places"

Wednesday, October 6, 1937
    "Dinner at Greiners. Maude, Katherine and [[George), Reilly were there. Took me to a club with organ later. Stayed All night"

Thursday, October 7, 1937
    "Saw little of Mary Lou. Had dinner with Cousin Mary Reilly at Joey's Stables. Marvelous dinner."

Friday, October 8, 1937
    "Saw Mary Lou and Baroness downtown. Baroness left for Chi. today. Mother and I visited Cecile and Virginia [[Cosgriff) and husband
    Mrs. Scott looked at us but failed to recognize"

Saturday, October 9, 1937
    "Letter from Syke. Called him. He refused to call on me. Mary Lou, mother, and I went to Powatow Club."

Sunday, October 10, 1937
    "Mary Lou treated us to chipped beef dinner at her apartment. Left for Grand Rapids that night with Marge and Shirley. Saw Bill."

Wednesday, October 13, 1937
    "Adele, Mary, Mother, and I had dinner at the Ada Hotel. Visited uncle Theodore. To show with Mary. Cocktails at Pantlend Hotel."

A couple addresses as well:
    Katherine Grimer
    3493 Sherdian [[I think) Ave Detroit, MI

Gus Sun Office Detroit, MI [[no address, though)

I know these are boring diary entries, but I was wondering if you guys knew much about Joey Stables, the Powatow Club, Ada Hotel, and Pantlend Hotels.

Thanks.

I never ate there, but I do have a matchbook from Joey's circa mid 1970's. Apparently, when she ate there it was fairly new digs.
    Last edited by zitro; May-01-10 at 07:08 AM.

Gus Sun Vaudeville Agency [[Branch) - 2211 Woodward
    Jack Dickstein, manager, booking agents

From what I've been told, Joey's was in Delray. It was supposed to be fantastic.
    The Pantlend Hotel is now the Amway Grand on the Grand River in Grand Rapids.
    I'm not familiar with the Ada Hotel, but my brother used to live in Ada. It's a small town between GR and Lowell on M21. Amway has its world headquarters there.
    My niece got married at the Grand. It's a beautiful hotel. They've expanded it since it was the Pantlend. My sister in law was executive assistant to either Van Andel or DeVos, so she got to use the ballroom for her daughter's wedding.

I never did get to go to Joey's, though I heard all about it. Great entries!

Could the Powatow Club be the Powatan Club, 4614 Cass?